Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Combining records
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Combining records Post 88414 by CHOMPNW on Thursday 3rd of November 2005 06:21:48 PM
Old 11-03-2005
Combining records

I have a file that has 316 byte records. I would like to read in the file and combine Record#1 with Recod#2, Record #3 with Record #4, etc to create an output file with 632 byte records.

I was looking into using "awk" but I'm not sure if it will do what I need.

Any suggestions on a quick and dirty way to accomplish this task?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count No of Records in File without counting Header and Trailer Records

I have a flat file and need to count no of records in the file less the header and the trailer record. I would appreciate any and all asistance Thanks Hadi Lalani (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guiguy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining two files

I have two files and I need to combine (not append - but combine a row to a row) eg: File1: apples grapes oranges lemons File2: red green orange yellow After combining, the file should look like: (the second column should start at a specific byte) apples red grapes green... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemangjani
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

combining two files

Hi Gurus, I have 2 files: File1 Filename1 xx Filename1 yy Filename1 Total Filename2 xx Filename2 yy Filename2 zz Filename2 Total Filename3 xx Filename3 Total and File2: Filename1 10296 xxx Date: 09/01/08 Filename2 10296 xxx Date: 09/05/08... (36 Replies)
Discussion started by: rock1
36 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge text files while combining the multiple header/trailer records into one each.

Situation: Our system currently executes a job (COBOL Program) that generates an interface file to be sent to one of our vendors. Because this system processes information for over 100,000 employees/retirees (and growing), we'd like to multi-thread the job into processing-groups in order to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oordonez
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Based on num of records in file1 need to check records in file2 to set some condns

Hi All, I have two files say file1 and file2. I want to check the number of records in file1 and if its atleast 2 (i.e., 2 or greater than 2 ) then I have to check records in file2 .If records in file2 is atleast 1 (i.e. if its not empty ) i have to set some conditions . Could you pls... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavesum
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep specific records from a file of records that are separated by an empty line

Hi everyone. I am a newbie to Linux stuff. I have this kind of problem which couldn't solve alone. I have a text file with records separated by empty lines like this: ID: 20 Name: X Age: 19 ID: 21 Name: Z ID: 22 Email: xxx@yahoo.com Name: Y Age: 19 I want to grep records that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atrisa
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split records into multiple records

Hi All, I am trying to split a record into multiple records based on a value. Input.txt "A",1,0,10 "B",2,0,10,15,20 "C",3,11,14,16,19,21,23 "D",1,0,5 My desired output is: "A",1,0,10 "B",2,0,10 "B",2,15,20 "C",3,11,14 "C",3,16,19 "C",3,21,23 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmsekhar
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting duplicate records from file 1 if records from file 2 match

I have 2 files "File 1" is delimited by ";" and "File 2" is delimited by "|". File 1 below (3 record shown): Doc1;03/01/2012;New York;6 Main Street;Mr. Smith 1;Mr. Jones Doc2;03/01/2012;Syracuse;876 Broadway;John Davis;Barbara Lull Doc3;03/01/2012;Buffalo;779 Old Windy Road;Charles... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vestport
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files with different number of records and output only the Extra records from file1

Hi Freinds , I have 2 files . File 1 |nag|HYd|1|Che |esw|Gun|2|hyd |pra|bhe|3|hyd |omu|hei|4|bnsj |uer|oeri|5|uery File 2 |nag|HYd|1|Che |esw|Gun|2|hyd |uer|oi|3|uery output : (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separate records of a file on 2 types of records

Hi I am new to shell programming in unix Please if I can provide help. I have a file structure of a header record and "N" detail records. The header record will be the total number of detail records I need to split the file in 2: One for the header Another for all detail records Could... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamcogar
1 Replies
PACKET.RECORD(1)						packet.record 1.0.1						  PACKET.RECORD(1)

NAME
packet.record - Record module DESCRIPTION
Provides the object for a record and the string representation of the record in a tcpdump trace file. Record object attributes: Record( index = Frame number length_inc = Number of bytes included in trace length_orig = 1 msecs = 905320, seconds = 1349747491, secs = 4.165262937545776, ) CLASSES
class Record(baseobj.BaseObj) Record object Usage: from packet.record import Record x = Record() Methods defined here: --------------------- __str__(self) String representation of object The representation depends on the verbose level set by debug_repr(). If set to 0 the generic object representation is returned. If set to 1 the representation of the object is condensed to display the frame number and the timestamp: '57 0.530957 ' If set to 2 the representation of the object also includes the number of bytes on the wire, number of bytes captured and a little bit more verbose: SEE ALSO
baseobj(1) BUGS
No known bugs. AUTHOR
Jorge Mora (mora@netapp.com) NFStest 1.0.2 10 April 2013 PACKET.RECORD(1)