Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Booting Up help needed
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Booting Up help needed Post 86012 by moss on Monday 10th of October 2005 06:09:03 AM
Old 10-10-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by lweegp
hi,

did u try the command "boot"? or if u can try to boot up from the 5.6 cd.
hi there, thanks 4 yr advice. i'll try to locate the cd if there's any. at the meantime, i tried some things which i din know what the function was.

i tried "stop-a" after memory initialization and found out more abt my computer. 1st of all i know that there are 2 IBM SCSI hard drives. after that, i tried the command "boot disk1" then a slew of warnings came. when the warnings stopped, a message came out "' type go to resume"

realising that there was nothing else i could do, i followed the instruction & typed go. this time, the computer restarted and then the same thing happened again. it was stuck at the same place again "starting rpc services : rpcbind keyserv ypbind done."

i hope i don't sound silly here as i'm trying to provide as much details as possible. i hope more helps will be coming in as i'm really desperate for them.

best regards,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Booting

Hi all, I've managed to get Mandrake 9 installed by disconnecting my 2 windows' drives. When I reconnect them Mandrake wants to take over. I figure it's time for the BootManager, or should I use a Linux specific one like Lilo? Or have I already stuffed up by not running Lilo at time of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: onestepto
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tri-booting?

Is it possible to triple boot with Solaris 9 (x86 version)? I installed XP Prof first, then Linux Fedora. Currently there it is a dual boot, and the dual boot software came with Fedora. I already used partition magic to allocate 5 gigs of free space on my disk. Basically my questions are:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CapsuleCorpJX
1 Replies

3. BSD

Quad Booting...

Ok so currently I have XP and Slack booting on my laptop, the next two goals will be FreeBSD and Windows Server 2003, in that order (though I may need to start over and do server before unix/linux. Either way, how I got linux interacting nicely with XP was via this link: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jboswell
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

booting from which harddrive

Hi, both of my /dev/hda and my /dev/hdb contain /boot partition. I'm wondering how to tell which harddrive's /boot is actually being read? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: onthetopo
2 Replies

5. Solaris

booting from CD

Hello.. I am Still Learing Solaris .. when i try to Install Solaris 8 from its CD...i pressed STOP + A and i get a OK prompt screen. I then typed, "boot cdrom" and i am getting this error message. " FATAL: system is not bootable, boot command is disabled." How do we enable the boot... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vr76413
5 Replies

6. AIX

System is not booting

the error is 0518 /usr mnt failed, pleaze tell me how i can fix it ! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: majd_ece
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with booting Solaris 9

Folks; I have a Solaris 9 server that after power outage it won't come fully up and i was able to bring it up in single user mode and checked "/var/log/messages" & "/var/adm/messages" with nothing showing since Sept. 17. i ran fsck and no luck. I ran all tests from the OK prompt with no luck... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Help with Booting procedure

Hello guys, I am a newbie to solaris 10. Recently I was going through booting procedure of solaris 10 on sparc machines, there I was not clear with kernel phase because I read like /etc/system file is read by kernel even before root filesystem is loaded, How is it possible?? Please Help me... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveen12
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Booting Solaris 10/09

What type of communication does Solaris 10/09 need to do with it's default gateway before it can boot up? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bstauffer
7 Replies

10. Solaris

Zones are not booting

Hi Can any on help me Zones are not booting showing installed state ---------- Post updated at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:38 PM ---------- ave5ubab ---------- Post updated at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:39 PM ---------- abcdefghijklmnopqrstuv (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: upender
4 Replies
RC.NEWS(8)						    InterNetNews Documentation							RC.NEWS(8)

NAME
rc.news - Start or stop INN daemons SYNOPSIS
rc.news [start | stop] DESCRIPTION
rc.news can be used to start or stop innd and supporting programs. It checks to make sure INN is not already running, handles cases of unclean shutdown, finishes up tasks which might have been interrupted by the preceding shutdown, e-mails certain boot-time warnings to newsmaster (as set in inn.conf), and is generally safer and easier than starting and stopping everything directly. It needs to be run as the news user so that files in pathrun are created with the right ownership (though this is less important for "rc.news stop"). Programs run and stopped by this script include: o Always: innd is started or stopped. o If doinnwatch is true in inn.conf: innwatch is started and stopped. o If docnfsstat is true in inn.conf: cnfsstat is started and stopped. o If ovmethod is set to "ovdb" in inn.conf: ovdb_init is run; ovdb_server and ovdb_monitor are stopped. o If rc.news.local exists in pathbin: rc.news.local is run with argument "start" or "stop" (to perform site-specific startup or shutdown tasks). OPTIONS
"start" If the first argument is "start", or no first argument is given, rc.news initiates INN startup. "stop" If the first argument is "stop", rc.news initiates INN shutdown. It is recommended to throttle the server first as described in ctlinnd(8). EXAMPLES
To start INN and leave certain error messages going to the terminal: su - news -c <pathbin in inn.conf>/rc.news To run INN at startup time from appropriate system boot scripts: su - news -c <pathbin>/rc.news >/dev/console To stop INN (throttling first): <pathbin>/ctlinnd throttle reason su - news -c '<pathbin>/rc.news stop' BUGS
Running "rc.news start" as root is never the right thing to do, so we should at minimum check for this and error, or perhaps change effective user ID. HISTORY
// FIXME: any attribution for rc.news itself? This manual page written by Jeffrey M. Vinocur <jeff@litech.org> for InterNetNews. $Id: rc.news.pod 9340 2011-08-16 13:50:19Z iulius $ SEE ALSO
ctlinnd(8), cnfsstat(8), inn.conf(5), innwatch(8), ovdb(5). INN 2.5.3 2011-08-22 RC.NEWS(8)