Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Error After Installing Tape Drive Post 85599 by pressy on Thursday 6th of October 2005 08:33:40 AM
Old 10-06-2005
sry, but it wasn't a good idea to delete your /etc/path_to_inst. there are some commandos to attach a tape drive, you don't even have to reboot (devfsadm). with a reboot you should boot with the "-r" option (reboot -- -r) or add a reconfigure file.
to be honest, i am not sure that every error in your boot output is because you deleted the path_to_inst. try to boot from a cd and mount your disk. copy the path_to_inst.old to path_to_inst and make a reboot -- -rv (don't use the -a)

good luck, tell us the results, pls

gP

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

8mm tape drive I/O error

hello, I don't know what exactly the cause and the solution!! suddenly I receive this error message when I want to use the 8mm tape drive "I/O write error" I disconnect the tape drive and I hook it in another WS and I receive this error :- ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: geoquest
5 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

help installing Sun 8mm unipack scsi tape drive

Hi all, please help I am stuck. I have installed a external unipack scsi tape drive. The tape drive is Exabyte Eliant 820. All I did was connected scsi cable and power it on. When issued "probe-scsi-all" command, the tape is correctly identified. However, when issued "dmesg | more" command, the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dennis
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tape Drive error

I have a hp d 350 running on 10.2,im having a problem with the dds2 tape drive whenever i tried backing up larger files...i have remove the tape driver and add it using sam again but still the tape drive is not working .....is there a solution to this problem? # tar cvf /dev/rmt/0m priso.ds a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: giriplug
3 Replies

4. Linux

Installing tape drive?

Hello. I have Redhat 8.0 on a laptop. Working good. I wanted to install the tape drive that is physically attached to it. The tape drive worked fine under Windows98SE. It's one of those parallel QIC-80 drives and I confirmed that it is supported by FTape. It appears that FTape might already... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RuralTurtle
0 Replies

5. SCO

back-up drive : tape error

i have an ibm machine with dds4 drive running sco. i bought new hp dds4 tape for my back-up. the new tapes are not being read by the system, it says tape error, no such device. i've already clean the drive several times but still the same error occur. i've tried to use the same tape on our windows... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yackim
3 Replies

6. AIX

Installing 3590 tape drive to pSeries server run on AIX5.3

Brothers, I have a question on compatible issues. I have a p570 server running on AIX5.3.0.0 TL04. Recently I have received a 3590 tape drive with library and I am wonder whether I can make use of this tape drive for my normal daily backup of AIX 5.3.0.0 in p570 server. Any driver or adapter... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kwliew999
1 Replies

7. SCO

Installing SCSI Tape drive

Hello, I'm having some issues with installing SCSI tape drive on SCO 5.0.6 hardware config shows the following adapters %adapter 0xE800-0xE8FF 10 - type=alad ha=0 bus=0 id=7 fts=sto %adapter 0x0170-0x0177 15 - type=IDE ctlr=secondary dvr=wd %adapter - 3 - ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananth_ak
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Hard Error:DAT Tape Drive

Well I have just added new tape drive to my server (lto) However I am getting few errors in using it. I have checked status with #iostat -En : giving me few hard errors, few soft errors and execution error. Also tape status is not visible as "no sense" its coming as "no additional sense". I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
5 Replies

9. AIX

Copying to tape drive throws error

Hi All I am trying to copy files present in a partition (server 2) which is mounted to a different server (server 1) as tape drive is connected to it. I ran the below command to copy files within a partition: svr01:root:/sunfileserver> tar -cvf * a <foldername>/<filename>/<filename> a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vathsan
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

installing unix tape drive

Hi, i installed a unix tape drive on my alphaserver. when i use a mt command it tells me there is no tape or device. I have used the hardware manager and it shows the tape is present. Can anyone help me understand why it cannot pick up the tape as a default? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ryks
1 Replies
path_to_inst(4)                                                    File Formats                                                    path_to_inst(4)

NAME
path_to_inst - device instance number file SYNOPSIS
/etc/path_to_inst DESCRIPTION
/etc/path_to_inst records mappings of physical device names to instance numbers. The instance number of a device is encoded in its minor number, and is the way that a device driver determines which of the possible devices that it may drive is referred to by a given special file. In order to keep instance numbers persistent across reboots, the system records them in /etc/path_to_inst. This file is read only at boot time, and is updated by add_drv(1M) and drvconfig(1M). Note that it is generally not necessary for the system administrator to change this file, as the system will maintain it. The system administrator can change the assignment of instance numbers by editing this file and doing a reconfiguration reboot. However, any changes made in this file will be lost if add_drv(1M) or drvconfig(1M) is run before the system is rebooted. Each instance entry is a single line of the form: "physical name" instance number "driver binding name" where physical name is the absolute physical pathname of a device. This pathname must be enclosed in double quotes. instance number is a decimal or hexadecimal number. driver binding name is the name used to determine the driver for the device. This name may be a driver alias or a driver name. The driver binding name must be enclosed in double quotes. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Sample path_to_inst Entries Here are some sample path_to_inst entries: "/iommu@f,e0000000" 0 "iommu" "/iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000" 0 "sbus" "/iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000/sbusmem@e,0" 14 "sbusmem" "/iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000/sbusmem@f,0" 15 "sbusmem" "/iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000/ledma@f,400010" 0 "ledma" "/obio/serial@0,100000" 0 "zs" "/SUNW,sx@f,80000000" 0 "SUNW,sx" FILES
/etc/path_to_inst SEE ALSO
add_drv(1M), boot(1M), drvconfig(1M), mknod(1M) WARNINGS
If the file is removed the system may not be bootable (as it may rely on information found in this file to find the root, usr or swap device). If it does successfully boot, it will regenerate the file, but after rebooting devices may end up having different minor numbers than they did before, and special files created via mknod(1M) may refer to different devices than expected. For the same reasons, changes should not be made to this file without careful consideration. NOTES
This document does not constitute an API. path_to_inst may not exist or may have a different content or interpretation in a future release. The existence of this notice does not imply that any other documentation that lacks this notice constitutes an API. SunOS 5.10 2 Nov 1995 path_to_inst(4)