Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: perl - system command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl - system command Post 84525 by cbkihong on Monday 26th of September 2005 07:52:37 PM
Old 09-26-2005
As I said, I have made some temporary references with the first statement. In my case this is an array reference (think about it like a pointer to an array) containing the filename together with the mtime as two separate array items.

To access an item from a normal array by index you will

$array[0], $array[1]

If the corresponding array is pointed to by a reference and you need to access an item through the reference, that becomes

$$arrayref[0], $$arrayref[1]

OR (both syntax will work)

$arrayref->[0], $arrayref->[1]

which literally means "dereference and then index in the underlying array".

Understanding these require some knowledge about references in Perl.

The official page that talks about this:
http://perldoc.perl.org/perlref.html

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl run system command

Can perl execute a system command similar to the C function System()? Thanks. Gregg (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gdboling
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help w/PERL system command

Hi, I'm wanting to run an nslookup, dig or whatever to check for the existence of a printer. The PERL script will display the results on the screen, but I can't figure out how to capture the result & test the value. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!!! Thank You (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lorik
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Accessing array elements within a sed command in Perl script

I am trying to use a script to replace the header of each file, whose filename are stored within the array $test, using the sed command within a Perl script as follows: $count = 0; while ( $count < $#test ) { `sed -e 's/BIOGRF 321/BIOGRF 332/g' ${test} > 0`; `cat 0 >... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: userix
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl System command calls to variable

I am new to scripting in Perl so I have a dumb question. I know I can call system commands using system("date"); But I am not able to: 1. set its output to a variable 2. run in quiet mode(no output to the screen) The examples i have #!/usr/bin/perl print `date +\%y\%m\%d.\%H\%M`;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4scriptmoni
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run system command in perl cgi

Hi guys, got a problem with a perl cgi script over here. I need it to run a system command to get the status of a process. Unfortunately the process is owned by a specific user and only this user can get its status. So i tried running the command from the perl cgi with "su", but then i get the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: polki
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

exit ststus 9 from perl system command

HI all, can anyone tell me what does exit status 9 from perl's system function meant. I am using system fuction to execute a shell script as : my $s=system ('script.sh' ,arg1 ,arg2); print $s; the output is 9. Thanks in advance. !!:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glamo_2312
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

file handling in perl without using system command

Hi , Is there any way to achieve following using perl program (i.e without using system command). 1.system ("echo 'test' > /usr/spool/ship.csv"); 2.system ("cat /usr/ajay_test* >> /usr/spool/RAM/work/patil.csv"); 3.system("> /usr/spool/ajay.txt"); e.g for system("rm -f... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajaypatil_am
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: looping through the output of a 'system' command

Hi there could anybody point me in the right direction when it comes to looping through the output of a system command in perl (i.e. df -k) doing a test against each line to see if it matches? for example if i have a df -k output like this and I wanted to grab the lines that matched "sda" or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call the System command twice in the same perl script...

Hello experts, I have a perl script which looks for the ARGV and then loads the data as per it. Example. #Checking the server to connect if ($ARGV eq 'QA') { $ENV{"ORACLE_HOME"} = "/oracle/product/11.2.0"; $ENV{"PATH"} = "$ENV{'PATH'}:/oracle/product/11.2.0/bin"; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msrahman
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using "system" command in perl

Hello!!! I'm trying to pass the output from bash command to perl variable in a perl script, and I used the "system" command to execute the bash statment and pass the result to perl string variable, in this perl script I used a variable $file that store data for using it as a regular expression.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: evolabo
2 Replies
smrsh(1M)						  System Administration Commands						 smrsh(1M)

NAME
smrsh - restricted shell for sendmail SYNOPSIS
smrsh -c command DESCRIPTION
The smrsh program is intended as a replacement for the sh command in the prog mailer in sendmail(1M) configuration files. The smrsh program sharply limits commands that can be run using the |program syntax of sendmail. This improves overall system security. smrsh limits the set of programs that a programmer can execute, even if sendmail runs a program without going through an alias or forward file. Briefly, smrsh limits programs to be in the directory /var/adm/sm.bin, allowing system administrators to choose the set of acceptable com- mands. It also rejects any commands with the characters: ,, <, >, |, ;, &, $, (<RETURN>), or (<NEWLINE>) on the command line to pre- vent end run attacks. Initial pathnames on programs are stripped, so forwarding to /usr/ucb/vacation, /usr/bin/vacation, /home/server/mydir/bin/vacation, and vacation all actually forward to/var/adm/sm.bin/vacation. System administrators should be conservative about populating /var/adm/sm.bin. Reasonable additions are utilities such as vacation(1) and procmail. Never include any shell or shell-like program (for example, perl) in the sm.bin directory. This does not restrict the use of shell or perl scrips in the sm.bin directory (using the #! syntax); it simply disallows the execution of arbitrary programs. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -c command Where command is a valid command, executes command. FILES
/var/adm/sm.bin directory for restricted programs ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsr, SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sendmail(1M), , attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 6 Nov 1998 smrsh(1M)