Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: HTML form to cgi help
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting HTML form to cgi help Post 84257 by RTM on Friday 23rd of September 2005 07:41:03 AM
Old 09-23-2005
It doesn't have to be perl - can be a simple shell script. But that's up to you.

The form will send all the 'data' into QUERY_STRING variable - you just have to read it and separate each field (should be delimited with the & character) with each field having variable=input such as EMAIL=this&SYSTEM=that.

If you write a simple script you can see the results.

Code:
#!/bin/ksh
#
#
echo "Content-type: text/html"
echo
#
full_string="$QUERY_STRING"
echo " <BODY>"
echo " <pre>"
echo "$QUERY_STRING"
echo "</BODY>"
exit

Once you see the results, build the script out to actually perform the same actions as the original web page (form_test.htm) by using echo statements to build the page and normal scripting to run the things you want to run (like splitting QUERY_STRING, moving the 3rd piece into a file (which I don't see that 3rd piece in your code).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HTML-CGI on Unix

AAAHHH!! I've made a perl program that you can run on a web browser. This program needs to be run everyday, and I don't want to have to run it everyday. The problem is when I try running the program from my terminal, all it does is print stuff to the terminal page (the program involves a lot of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sstevens
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing FORM(HTML) variable to ksh

I am currently able to use the $QUERY_STRING variable and simply cut out what I need to be assigned as variables within the shell script. However, I've been able to use the "name" value assigned within the FORM(HTML) as a variable when I use perl. Why is it that ksh doesn't read the "name" in as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: douknownam
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

html - df -k cgi script

Hey - I am new to cgi scripting... just writing a script to output df -k output to html page... but I cannot get the df lines on separate lines on the page, it all comes out on one line and is not very readable.. any suggestions? My script is below - please keep in mind I am only new to it so... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl cgi form action target

Hello All, I was trying to come up with a form using perl cgi. I then created a frame to show the output of the form. Refer below print $display_form->start_form(-title=>"Updateuser", -style => 'font-size: 9pt; color: #202020 ; font-family: Verdana', action=>"${DOCROOT}updateUser.pl",... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: garric
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cgi script to echo a html file

Hi, I'm learning some simple cgi scripting. I can make a script like this, so my browser shows "Hello World" /www/cgi-bin/name.sh --- #!/bin/sh MyName=World echo "<html> Hello $MyName </html>" --- What I'd like is to have a separate html and script files in the cgi folder so ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Performer
1 Replies

6. Web Development

in cgi perl script a form

hi,i hav a form in cgi perl script.this script accepts a value from user from another html form, and depending upon this value,i need to disable /enable radio buttons in cgi-perl script wen second page is displayed on executing cgi perl script.how do i do it using javascript? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: raksha.s
0 Replies

7. Solaris

man pages in html form

Hi I would like to convert standard online man pages from my solaris10 system into html form to publish it on my webpage. How this can be done in Sol10 ? thx for help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass argument to html upload form

I am using an html form and a php upload script to upload files. HTML form <table width="500" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="1" bgcolor="#CCCCCC"> <tr> <form action="upload_ac.php" method="post" enctype="multipart/form-data" name="form1" id="form1"> <td> <table... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anil510
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cgi to dump xml data from form input field

Hi All, I am trying to write a shell script which takes parse the web form find the input field and dump the data of that field into one xml file. The form looks like, <input type="button" id="btnSave" value="Save" onclick="saveXmlData()"/> <form name="submitForm"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jdp
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run command through html+cgi in bash

Hi everyone, I want to kill process through the web, so I create html page with single bottom that run kill command in shell script with CGI. Here is html code: <td><form METHOD="GET" action="http://IP:port/cgi_bin/script.cgi" > <input type="submit" value= "Submit" > <INPUT name="q"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: indeed_1
7 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.11 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)