Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Disabling ctrl-Z key inside shell script Post 84058 by Perderabo on Wednesday 21st of September 2005 01:01:20 PM
Old 09-21-2005
Signals in a shell script become very complex very fast. Notice that the OP complained about using:
trap "`echo "Ctrl-Z key disabled"`" 20
Using the correct quoting is not any better:
trap "echo Cntl-Z key disabled" 20

You guys are proposing:
trap "" 20
which works fine. Whole different stretch of road. Try your scripts using the above trap statement. When you get tried of waiting for them, open another window, locate that sleep process, and do a "kill -CONT" to it.

Control Z is usually the SUSP character. Typing the SUSP characters sends SIGTSTP to all processes in the terminal's foreground process group. To disable control Z, the command is:
stty susp ^-
All of the posts here deal with catching or ignoring the TSTP signal, not disabling Control Z. Remember that shell scripts are collections of processes. The shell uses fork() and exec () to run the sleep program. From the exec man page:
Quote:
The processing of signals by the process is unchanged by exec*(), except that signals caught by the process are set to their default values (see signal(2)).
So when TSTP is ignored, it stays ignored during the execution of the sleep process. But if it was caugth, it goes back to the default action which is to suspend the process. This is bad enough, but what's more, ksh has some bug involving caught job control signals. ksh has it own internal routine to catch those signals. It gets run instead of the specified command. So you don't even get the the message echoed.

I can only curse the darkness. I don't have a candle to light. Sorry.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Disable ctrl-c,ctrl-d,ctrl-d in ksh script

I wrote a ksh script for Helpdesk. I need to know how to disable ctrl-c,ctrl-z,ctrl-d..... so that helpdesk would not be able to get to system prompt :confused: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtofu
6 Replies

2. SuSE

Disabling interrupt function of Control-C key combination

I am using informix RDBMS over SUSE LINUX. In linux if you press control-c it acts as an interrupt key. In my program I have used control-c to perform certain functions but it is being overriden by interrupt function of control-c key combination of SUSE LINUX. Kindly suggest me a solution by which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: V.V.KUMAR
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing Enter key inside in shell script

for automating telnet using shell script..... as we enter alphabetic characters inside shell script...how can we do the same for the enter key......Is there any character for the enter key so the enter key need not be pressed manually...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bishweshwar
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete ctrl key values in a given string?

Hi all, My query is... in the runtime, you are getting any input string. Unfortunately, you have pressed some ctrl keys or esc keys or arrow keys while typing input string. You can get the input value like that... input string as welcome^ So ,I want to remove those unwanted keys... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: balan_mca
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

trap ctrl c in shell script

how to trap the ctrl c in unix shell script my script is running in while loop it should not be terminate with ctrl c. if i press ctrl c while running script it shloud ignore the same. please healp.......... thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to catch ENTER key inside the shell script?

Hi, I have a script in which i have to ask user to press the ENTER key to proceed further. can you please help me how can i achive this in my scripting? echo "All the executables builded Successfully " echo " Press Enter to Go Back to the Main Menu" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: plaban.rout
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to issue ctrl+D and enter key

My problem is that i have to connect Linux server. I can connect it with SSH but because of the software of the Linux server, i need to press enter and after ctrl+D. Therefore, I need to write a script that should press enter and ctrl+D. How can i write it in KSH shell script. HELP ME! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fozay
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sh: Detect key (CTRL/SHIFT/CAPS LOCK) state?

I'm trying to write a shell script that runs periodically and if I'm not at the keyboard, it should do one thing, but if I am at the keyboard, it should do another thing. Therefore I've decided that it would be good if I could press down the CTRL key, (or some other key) and have the shell script... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ilja
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ctrl-c in shell script

The below script has Perl script in it where it gives the usage details. filer.sh echo echo -en "Enter filer : " read filer echo "test.pl -f $filer -F L" Output ========= The following hosts are online and available: Name Total Allocated Used ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nareshkumar522
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ctrl-V + Ctrl-J for newline character does not work inside vi editor

Hi friends, I am trying to add a newline char ('\n') between the query and the commit statement in the following shell script. #! /bin/sh echo "select * from tab; commit;" > data.sql I have tried typing in "Ctrl-V + Ctrl-J" combination which has inserted ^@ (NUL) character but the commit... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies
trap(1) 							   User Commands							   trap(1)

NAME
trap, onintr - shell built-in functions to respond to (hardware) signals SYNOPSIS
sh trap [ argument n [n2...]] csh onintr [-| label] ksh *trap [ arg sig [ sig2...]] DESCRIPTION
sh The trap command argument is to be read and executed when the shell receives numeric or symbolic signal(s) (n). (Note: argument is scanned once when the trap is set and once when the trap is taken.) Trap commands are executed in order of signal number or corresponding symbolic names. Any attempt to set a trap on a signal that was ignored on entry to the current shell is ineffective. An attempt to trap on signal 11 (memory fault) produces an error. If argument is absent all trap(s) n are reset to their original values. If argument is the null string this signal is ignored by the shell and by the commands it invokes. If n is 0 the command argument is executed on exit from the shell. The trap command with no arguments prints a list of commands associated with each signal number. csh onintr controls the action of the shell on interrupts. With no arguments, onintr restores the default action of the shell on interrupts. (The shell terminates shell scripts and returns to the terminal command input level). With the - argument, the shell ignores all inter- rupts. With a label argument, the shell executes a goto label when an interrupt is received or a child process terminates because it was interrupted. ksh trap uses arg as a command to be read and executed when the shell receives signal(s) sig. (Note that arg is scanned once when the trap is set and once when the trap is taken.) Each sig can be given as a number or as the name of the signal. trap commands are executed in order of signal number. Any attempt to set a trap on a signal that was ignored on entry to the current shell is ineffective. If arg is omitted or is -, then the trap(s) for each sig are reset to their original values. If arg is the null (the empty string, e.g., "" ) string then this signal is ignored by the shell and by the commands it invokes. If sig is ERR then arg will be executed whenever a command has a non- zero exit status. If sig is DEBUG then arg will be executed after each command. If sig is 0 or EXIT for a trap set outside any function then the command arg is executed on exit from the shell. The trap command with no arguments prints a list of commands associated with each signal number. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 23 Oct 1994 trap(1)