Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Hp Unix - Bash
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Hp Unix - Bash Post 83338 by blowtorch on Wednesday 14th of September 2005 05:59:13 AM
Old 09-14-2005
You will get ksh on HP-UX. Is similar to bash - but not the same. Scripts written in one shell may break when running under the other.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bash/Unix Command Errors

Hi all, I have major errors on entering the shell. On login I get: -bash: dircolors: command not found -bash: tr: command not found -bash: fgrep: command not found -bash: grep: command not found -bash: grep: command not found -bash: id: command not found -bash: # root@host # pwd /bin... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wcmmlynn
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash differences on unix's

I am using bash on two different unix versions and for some reason the commands operate slightly differently. For example, 'ls * -la' gives me an error on one unix system, but works fine on a different system. The versions of unix are actually OS x and linux, and both systems are running GNU bash... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bongobonga
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash variable - unix command

I want to just run this command from a bash script and put it in variable. date '+%M' gives the minutes in solaris. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: photon
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix command - bash shell

Hey all, I need to know how many lines of C code are in a source bundle. I have extracted the bundle and hence there is a big directory tree with C files everywhere. So far I have something like: find . -name "*.c" | grep \ ./*/*/*/*/*/* obviously wrong, if someone could help me out... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zigga15
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic Unix bash script help

Hello there Been using Unix bash scripting for two days now so am very new to this. I am currently doing a project now and i'm basically making a noughts and crosses game (or tic tac toe). I have created the board using an array. When I try and check to see if the array is empty using an If... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChrisHoogie
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Windows to Unix? Using bash

Im posting here as i posted this in the wrong section before, sorry about that. Ok, im doing a self teaching course, im trying to understand how unix works, get and understand the basics before i hit the advance level. Now i have this in windows, Btw im always new at windows so correct me if... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie987
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment a variable in unix bash

Hello There, I have been trying to increment the value of variable to 1, 2, 3 etc. but, it displays 1 1+1 1+1+1 ..... :wall: Could anyone help out with this? for i in *.* do s=`expr $s+1` echo $s j=$i$j mv $i $j done Any help is appreciated? (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: amrutha0303
24 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix bash script (mv issues);

Hey guys, I've registered here as I need urgent help. This is assignment for school and as you can see below I've completed the work. I'm simply stuck on one area. :wall: This script takes the first parameter (which is to be the new extension) and each parameter after that is a file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cynosure
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

New To Unix- Need Help With Bash Commands for Printing

Urgent Help - I have a problem, I need to know how to print a count of files from a specific date that passed and that failed. Additionally, print the name of the files located on the date, print a list of all dates during which a file with a name like 'test' was processed, and then determine... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AJ 49er
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mailing file from UNIX/bash

I have a file that I want to mail out. However, I cannot get the date to print on it. I've tried the following: /usr/bin/mail -s "Lists on `date`" myname@company.com</tmp/list /usr/bin/mail -s "Lists on $(date)" myname@compancy.com</tmp/list $subj="Lists on $(date)" /usr/bin/mail -s... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
3 Replies
break(1)							   User Commands							  break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)