Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: loop through file of numbers
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting loop through file of numbers Post 81007 by frustrated1 on Monday 15th of August 2005 09:01:17 AM
Old 08-15-2005
Thats a great explanation.. I update the awk script as follows:
num=substr($0, 14, RLENGTH)

Now it works for me perfectly...
Thanks again for your help and explanation - it has helped me a lot.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

read numbers from file and output which numbers belongs to which range

Howdy experts, We have some ranges of number which belongs to particual group as below. GroupNo StartRange EndRange Group0125 935300 935399 Group2006 935400 935476 937430 937459 Group0324 935477 935549 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop assistance, getting array of random numbers and feeding to a command, how-to?

Hi all, I need a little assistance to complete the following script. I would like to take a file with a single number on each line and for each number, run it through a command. The loop will terminate once all numbers have been checked. Here is what I have thus far... COUNTER=`wc -l... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boolean2222
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

the smallest number from 90% of highest numbers from all numbers in file

Hello All, I am having problem to find what is the smallest number from 90% of highest numbers from all numbers in file. I am having file with thousands of lines and hundreds of columns. I am familiar mainly with bash but I am open to whatever suggestion witch will lead to the solutions. If I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Apfik
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract rows from file based on row numbers stored in another file

Hi All, I have a file which is like this: rows.dat 1 2 3 4 5 6 3 4 5 6 7 8 7 8 9 0 4 3 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 I have another file with numbers like these (numbers.txt): 1 3 4 5 I want to read numbers.txt file line by line. The extract the row from rows.dat based on the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

A way to store 2 random numbers from a for loop?

I have a for loop that cycles twice and generates 1 random number for each pass through. I would like to be able to store the two numbers to use later for arithmetics. Is there a way to do that? Right now I can only seem to use the last random number for anything. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AxlVanDamme
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to increment and add variable length numbers to a variable in a loop?

Hi All, I have a file which has hundred of records with fixed number of fields. In each record there is set of 8 characters which represent the duration of that activity. I want to sum up the duration present in all the records for a report. The problem is the duration changes per record so I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Using "while" loop to output series of numbers

Trying to use "while" loop command to create a series of numbers that looks like the following: 0 . 1 0 . 2 1 0 . 3 2 1 0 . 4 3 2 1 0 . 5 4 3 2 1 0 . 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 . 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 . 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 . 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 . I am very new to shell scripting and any help would be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarlz
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reset while loop to loop same file multiple times

Hi, I want to read file multiple times. Right now i am using while loop but that is not working. ex. While read line do while read line2 do echo stmt1 #processing some data based on data., done < file2.txt done < file1.txt # This will have 10... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum up numbers in a for loop

Hi i have to calculate some numbers, column by column. Herfore i used a for-loop.. for i in {4..26};do awk -F"," '{x'$i'+=$'$i'}END{print '$i'"\t" x'$i'}' file.tmp;done ----- printout ----- 4 660905240 5 71205272 6 8.26169e+07 7 8.85961e+07 8 8.60936e+07 9 7.42238e+07 10 5.6051e+07... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding (as in arithmetic) to numbers in columns in file, and writing new file with new numbers

Hi again. Sorry for all the questions — I've tried to do all this myself but I'm just not good enough yet, and the help I've received so far from bartus11 has been absolutely invaluable. Hopefully this will be the last bit of file manipulation I need to do. I have a file which is formatted as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crunchgargoyle
4 Replies
XSIL2GRAPHICS(1)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					  XSIL2GRAPHICS(1)

NAME
xsil2graphics - generate scripts to load xsil output data files SYNOPSIS
xsil2graphics [options] <xsil_file> DESCRIPTION
Utility program bundled with xmds, used to generate scripts that load simulation output data into either matlab (http://www.mathworks.com) or scilab (http://www.scilab.org), which are then used to manipulate the results further if necessary and then to present the results graphically. Matlab To generate a matlab m-file, from the xsil file data_file.xsil use the command: bash$ xsil2graphics data_file.xsil or bash$ xsil2graphics --matlab data_file.xsil Then at the matlab command prompt: >> data_file Scilab To generate a scilab script file, from the xsil file data_file.xsil use the command: bash$ xsil2graphics --scilab data_file.xsil Then at the scilab command prompt: --> exec('data_file.sci') OPTIONS
-m, --matlab generate matlab m-file script to load data from the xsil data file (the default option) -s, -scilab generate scilab script file to load data from the xsil data file -o, --outfile <out_file> specify an alternative output script filename to the default which is the input xsil filename with the .xsil extension changed to either .m for the matlab m-file or .sci for the scilab script file EXAMPLES
bash$ xsil2graphics nlse.xsil Generates the output nlse.m to load the data into matlab bash$ xsil2graphics -m nlse.xsil Also generates the output nlse.m but explicitly sets matlab to be the output format bash$ xsil2graphics --scilab nlse.xsil Generates the output nlse.sci to load the data into scilab bash$ xsil2graphics --outfile nlse_new.m nlse.xsil Generates the output nlse_new.m to load the data into matlab AUTHORS
Originally written by Greg Collecutt Maintained by Paul Cochrane with code contributed by Joe Hope BUGS
No known bugs. SEE ALSO
xmds(1), loadxsil(1) http://www.xmds.org COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2000-2004 Code contributed by Greg Collecutt, Joseph Hope and Paul Cochrane This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA. perl v5.8.2 2004-06-21 XSIL2GRAPHICS(1)