Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: loop through file of numbers
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting loop through file of numbers Post 81000 by vgersh99 on Monday 15th of August 2005 08:55:12 AM
Old 08-15-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by frustrated1
Perfect - works great

Could I ask that you explain the code used to me a little..
I know some scripting but am not familar with what you have used below and would help me play around a bit more before I have to post for help here.
updated the code with comments - see original posting.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

read numbers from file and output which numbers belongs to which range

Howdy experts, We have some ranges of number which belongs to particual group as below. GroupNo StartRange EndRange Group0125 935300 935399 Group2006 935400 935476 937430 937459 Group0324 935477 935549 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop assistance, getting array of random numbers and feeding to a command, how-to?

Hi all, I need a little assistance to complete the following script. I would like to take a file with a single number on each line and for each number, run it through a command. The loop will terminate once all numbers have been checked. Here is what I have thus far... COUNTER=`wc -l... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boolean2222
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

the smallest number from 90% of highest numbers from all numbers in file

Hello All, I am having problem to find what is the smallest number from 90% of highest numbers from all numbers in file. I am having file with thousands of lines and hundreds of columns. I am familiar mainly with bash but I am open to whatever suggestion witch will lead to the solutions. If I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Apfik
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract rows from file based on row numbers stored in another file

Hi All, I have a file which is like this: rows.dat 1 2 3 4 5 6 3 4 5 6 7 8 7 8 9 0 4 3 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 I have another file with numbers like these (numbers.txt): 1 3 4 5 I want to read numbers.txt file line by line. The extract the row from rows.dat based on the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

A way to store 2 random numbers from a for loop?

I have a for loop that cycles twice and generates 1 random number for each pass through. I would like to be able to store the two numbers to use later for arithmetics. Is there a way to do that? Right now I can only seem to use the last random number for anything. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AxlVanDamme
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to increment and add variable length numbers to a variable in a loop?

Hi All, I have a file which has hundred of records with fixed number of fields. In each record there is set of 8 characters which represent the duration of that activity. I want to sum up the duration present in all the records for a report. The problem is the duration changes per record so I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Using "while" loop to output series of numbers

Trying to use "while" loop command to create a series of numbers that looks like the following: 0 . 1 0 . 2 1 0 . 3 2 1 0 . 4 3 2 1 0 . 5 4 3 2 1 0 . 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 . 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 . 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 . 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 . I am very new to shell scripting and any help would be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarlz
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reset while loop to loop same file multiple times

Hi, I want to read file multiple times. Right now i am using while loop but that is not working. ex. While read line do while read line2 do echo stmt1 #processing some data based on data., done < file2.txt done < file1.txt # This will have 10... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum up numbers in a for loop

Hi i have to calculate some numbers, column by column. Herfore i used a for-loop.. for i in {4..26};do awk -F"," '{x'$i'+=$'$i'}END{print '$i'"\t" x'$i'}' file.tmp;done ----- printout ----- 4 660905240 5 71205272 6 8.26169e+07 7 8.85961e+07 8 8.60936e+07 9 7.42238e+07 10 5.6051e+07... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding (as in arithmetic) to numbers in columns in file, and writing new file with new numbers

Hi again. Sorry for all the questions — I've tried to do all this myself but I'm just not good enough yet, and the help I've received so far from bartus11 has been absolutely invaluable. Hopefully this will be the last bit of file manipulation I need to do. I have a file which is formatted as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crunchgargoyle
4 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)