Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Renice job
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Renice job Post 79560 by Farsinos on Thursday 28th of July 2005 10:14:15 AM
Old 07-28-2005
Renice job

Hi everyone,
I am working on a server that there is a rule to renice your jobs if they exceed 1 hour of running.
I wrote a script that calls a program that runs for some thousand times. When I do 'top' I can see in the processes the program running but not the name of my script that I run initially. So I can not renice the program because after it finishes it will start again with the clock zeroed. So its like I never exceed 1 hour but in fact I occupy the processor much much more.
I would like to renice it in order not to be kicked by the administrator of the server.
Anyone has any idea?
Thanx in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please Help Me With This Nice And Renice Stuff

i read a book about this a couple of times and i still find it confusing. they talking about when you increase a priority number, that decreases nice number. I really dont understand this. I'm working on a solaris and linux red hat 7.2 system. if anyone can explain this stuff to me in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

killing unix job after the job process completes

Hi, Thanks in advance. i need to kill a unix background running job after that job process completes. i can kill a job by giving the following unix command kill -9 processid how to kill the job after the current process run gets completed ? Appreciate your valuable help. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dtazv
1 Replies

3. Solaris

killing a unix job after the job process gets completed

Hi, Thanks in advance. i need to kill a unix background running job after that job process completes. i can kill a job by giving the following unix command kill -9 processid how to kill the job after the current process run gets completed ? Appreciate your valuable help. Thanks... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dtazv
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Job dependent on other job

Hi All I am trying to run one command ie grep but I want it should execute only after the completion of a shell script has finished. eg Following is my script : java -mx64m $JAVA_OPTS -Dant.home=$ANT_HOME -classpath $_CLASSPATH org.apache.tools.ant.Main -verbose -buildfile /opt/bea/wls... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajkrmishra
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to insert child job under a box job?

I have this box job and it contains only one job under it which is to load a file. I want to insert a "File Watcher", "Copy File" to it? Have no clue how to do that...any help plzzz... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: xejatt
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Start a Job after finding the Old job completed

Hi Experts, I need a script advice to schedule 12 jobs ( SAS Codes execute back ground ). Algorithem: 1. Script checks first job. 2. Finds first job is done; invoke second job. 3. finds second job is done; invoke third job. .. Request you to please assist. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jerald Nathan
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

autosys job configuration for job failure.

We need to configure autosys that when a job fails continously for 3 times, we need to call another job. Is this possible in Autosys, or can anyone advice on the alternative. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sangea
2 Replies

8. AIX

nice and renice

hello , We would like to increase the priority of the oracle process . Process(240001 ) should get the priority like the process(240103 ). Am not sure what value i should mention in the renice command(aix 6.1). Please assist me. 240001 A oracle 26804312 1 0 60 20... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Autosys Job: Job did not start

I have submitted an autosys job and force start it. Autosys hit the job 4 times to restart but it did not start and finally I terminate the job. Any idea why the job did not start. Below is the code I executed. 1214 missun0ap /export/home/bzn97r/develop/dswi/jil$ sendevent -E FORCE_STARTJOB... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnrohit2k
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renice command with input argument as a file

Hi all could you help me how to give pids in a file as an argument to renice command. Thanks in Advance.. :) Pradeep (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanz143
4 Replies
qterm(8B)								PBS								 qterm(8B)

NAME
qterm - terminate processing by a PBS batch server SYNOPSIS
qterm [-t type] [server...] DESCRIPTION
The qterm command terminates a PBS batch server. When a server receives a terminate command, the server will go into a terminating state. While in this state, the server will not allow new jobs to be started or enqueued. By default, qterm will request a "quick" shutdown of the PBS server. Other ways of shutting down the server (specified with the -t argument), and their impact on running jobs, are described below. The qterm command will not exit until the server has completed its shutdown procedure. In order to execute qterm, the user must have PBS Operation or Manager privilege. OPTIONS
-t type Specifies the type of shut down. The types are: immediate All running jobs are to immediately stop execution. If checkpoint is supported, running jobs that were submitted with "-c shutdown" are checkpointed, terminated, and requeued. If checkpoint is not supported or the job cannot be checkpointed, running jobs are requeued if the rerunable attribute is true. Otherwise, jobs are killed. Normally the server will not shutdown until there are no jobs in the running state. If the server is unable to contact the MOM of running job, the job is still listed as running. The server may be forced down by a second qterm -t immediate command. delay If checkpoint is supported, running jobs that were submitted with "-c shutdown" are checkpointed, terminated, and requeued. If a job cannot be checkpointed, but can be rerun, the job is terminated and requeued. Otherwise, running jobs are allowed to continue to run. Note, the operator or administrator may use the qrerun and qdel commands to remove run- ning jobs. quick This option is used when you wish that running jobs be left running when the server shuts down. The server will cleanly shutdown and can be restarted when desired. Upon restart of the server, jobs that continue to run are shown as running; jobs that terminated during the server's absence will be placed into the exiting state. OPERANDS
The server operand specifies which servers are to shutdown. If no servers are given, then the default server will be terminated. STANDARD ERROR
The qterm command will write a diagnostic message to standard error for each error occurrence. EXIT STATUS
Upon successful processing of all the operands presented to the qterm command, the exit status will be a value of zero. If the qterm command fails to process any operand, the command exits with a value greater than zero. SEE ALSO
pbs_server(8B), qmgr(1B), pbs_resources_aix4(7B), pbs_resources_irix5(7B), pbs_resources_sp2(7B), pbs_resources_sunos4(7B), and pbs_resources_unicos8(7B) Local qterm(8B)