Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting add numbers with decimal place in UNIX Post 78594 by tads98 on Thursday 21st of July 2005 03:13:07 AM
Old 07-21-2005
add numbers with decimal place in UNIX

i am trying to add numbers with decimal place and I am prompted with an error.

this expr command works
:add=`expr 1 + 1`
:echo $add
:2

but when i am trying to add
:addThis=`expr 1.1 + 1`
:expr: An integer value was expected.

is there a way to add numbers with decimal place in UNIX?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

decimal numbers

Hi friends How can I use "for loop" for decimal numbers? ex: 0.1 < x < 0.6 I used this commands but does'nt work. LIMIT=0.6 for ((x=0.1; x<=LIMIT; x++)) do - - - done Many thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snow
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Decimal Numbers

Im trying to compare two numbers with decimals but its not working as expected. a=1 b=1.1 if then echo "equal" fi When I do this it says that the numbers are equal. Ultimately Im using -le and -ge in the if statements but I tested with -eq for simplicity. Any way to make this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grizzly
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding decimal numbers

Hello... I am new to unix and I am wondering if in a C-shell script , Are we supposed to use only whole numbers........ for example..if a program needs to calculate the average of some numbers........ @ avg = (($1 +$2 + $3)/3)) is returning a whole number.........How can a decimal be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravindra22
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk if condition match and fix print decimal place

Hi All, I have problem in the middle of implementing to users, whereby the complaint is all about the decimal place which is too long. I need two decimal places only, but the outcome from command is always fixed to 6. See the sample : before: Sort Total Site Sort SortName Parts ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: horsepower
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to get the Specific column with 2 decimal place

Hi, I have an issue converting decimal places of a particular column, i am using below script to get the output, but the output is not generating in desired format. awk -F"," 'BEGIN{OFS=","}{if(NR==0)getline;if ($7 != "") {if ($7 > 0) $7=$7/100 ; {printf "%.2f"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rramkrishnas
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to set decimal place in awk?

Dear all, I have a data test.txt as below. X22.30799720_T cg03868770 -0.5645412582127 2.4084685750406e-175 X22.30781182_A cg03868770 -0.5620426397492 3.5818034129169e-172 X22.30780724_C cg03868770 -0.5616890165605 2.9765569717858e-168 what I want is: X22.30799720_T cg03868770... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevertl
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to place decimal points at proper position

Hi, I have one input file which is delimited by pipe. I want to put decimal points in this input file at particular position in particular column and also get the negative sign (if any) at start of that column. $ cat Input_file.txt 11|10102693|1|20151202|10263204|20151127|N|0001... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prathmesh
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to trim the decimal place for all the columns?

Dear all, I have a file call test.txt which has 2000 columns, 1000 rows. If I want to trim all the columns to 3 decimal places, how can I do it? I know how to use awk prinf to trim specic columns. But I don't know how to trim all the columns. Thank you. data sample: 0.976004565 9.34567845... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevertl
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Decimal numbers and letters in the same collums: round numbers

Hi! I found and then adapt the code for my pipeline... awk -F"," -vOFS="," '{printf "%0.2f %0.f\n",$2,$4}' xxx > yyy I add -F"," -vOFS="," (for input and output as csv file) and I change the columns and the number of decimal... It works but I have also some problems... here my columns ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: echo manolis
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Zero padding a Number before and after a decimal place

Hi I was hoping someone could help me with a sed script I am trying to write? I am on a Mac running ElCapitan I have some text that I have converted from a pdf that I want to format into an xml file. In the file I have managed to delete all the text I do not need. The text I have left is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Walker
8 Replies
DWARF_ADD_EXPR_ADDR(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 				    DWARF_ADD_EXPR_ADDR(3)

NAME
dwarf_add_expr_addr, dwarf_add_expr_addr_b -- add a DW_OP_addr location expression LIBRARY
DWARF Access Library (libdwarf, -ldwarf) SYNOPSIS
#include <libdwarf.h> Dwarf_Unsigned dwarf_add_expr_addr(Dwarf_P_Expr expr, Dwarf_Unsigned address, Dwarf_Signed sym_index, Dwarf_Error *err); Dwarf_Unsigned dwarf_add_expr_addr_b(Dwarf_P_Expr expr, Dwarf_Unsigned address, Dwarf_Unsigned sym_index, Dwarf_Error *err); DESCRIPTION
Function dwarf_add_expr_addr_b() adds a DW_OP_addr location expression to the location expression descriptor referenced by argument expr. Argument expr should reference a location expression descriptor allocated using the function dwarf_new_expr(3). Argument address specifies the operand, a relocatable address value. Argument sym_index specifies the ELF symbol index of the symbol to be used for relocation. If argument err is not NULL, it will be used to store error information in case of an error. Function dwarf_add_expr_addr() is deprecated. It is similar to function dwarf_add_expr_addr_b() except that it cannot handle all possible symbol index values. RETURN VALUES
On success, these functions return the size in bytes of the location expression byte stream generated. In case of an error, these functions return DW_DLV_NOCOUNT and set the argument err. ERRORS
These functions can fail with: [DW_DLE_ARGUMENT] Argument expr was NULL. [DW_DLE_MEMORY] An out of memory condition was encountered during the execution of the function. SEE ALSO
dwarf(3), dwarf_add_AT_location_expr(3), dwarf_add_expr_gen(3), dwarf_expr_current_offset(3), dwarf_expr_into_block(3), dwarf_new_expr(3) BSD
September 9, 2011 BSD