Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux SuSE PhPMyAdmin basic set up on SUSE linux 9.1 Post 78179 by cbkihong on Saturday 16th of July 2005 12:31:16 PM
Old 07-16-2005
MySQL server can be started in a number of ways. As I haven't used SuSE for several years I have forgotten the exact configuration it uses. But in general, here are some general possibilities:

(1) I think the SuSE MySQL server RPM comes with the startup script, so it will be automatically started on startup (if without errors). Look inside /etc/init.d for the startup script. It may be called 'mysql' or something like that. Then

/etc/init.d/mysql start

If it cannot be started, you may need to read the log file to see exactly what the problem is. I think the log files are kept in /var/log/mysql. You may need to really dig it out if it is not.

This is generally the preferred way of starting a MySQL server.

(2) You may also run the mysqld_safe executable directly. But this can be a bit tricky, and if you don't have much experience it is possible that this may lead to files created in improper ownerships which create problems for future if you are to start this way.

Before you do this, please verify you really have the MySQL server installed. With most Linux distributions, the MySQL server and client are put in separate packages and so it is possible that you have installed the client but not the server. If you have server installed you should find some executables (usually in /usr/bin) with the name 'mysqld' or 'mysqld_safe' which correspond to the MySQL server.

When I installed the MySQL RPM with SuSE 7.3 several years ago the server would not start out of the box, as it was found that the file ownership were incorrect. The docs at mysql.com is quite overwhelming, but is useful in tracking down problems and fixing the common ones.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

1st install Suse, network config set up

Hello, I'm a newbie to unix. I just about have the Suse 10.1 installed. During set up it automatically detected components to access the internet. But failed. I lost now. Any ideas? Thank You (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nick7269
2 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

How to set CoreDump in SuSE 10

Hi All, Am trying to modify the coreDump value in SuSE 10 by doing the following steps : 1. Add the line "ulimit -Sc 1004" to /etc/profile 2. Relogin using telnet and try the command "ulimit -c". The value is 1004 3. Now relogin using xbrowser the ulimit value is not reflected. OS :... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Laksmi
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to set up Telnet on Suse?

I am trying to use telnet to access a linux box. I know I should be using SSH (which I use personally), but i have to use telnet. How do I configure the linux box to accept the telnet request. I am using Suse Thanks for any help (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: salil2012
11 Replies

4. Programming

Set password of a user in phpmyadmin

I have a mysql database on the server where I have root access also to phpmyadmin. I have such a database 1, which is a table users where a user named admin. How shall be observed as the password for this user? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mumie
1 Replies
mysqld_multi(1) 						  MySQL database						   mysqld_multi(1)

NAME
mysqld_multi - is meant for managing several mysqld processes running in different UNIX sockets and TCP/IP ports. USAGE
mysqld_multi [OPTIONS] {start|stop|report} [GNR,GNR,GNR...] SYNOPSIS
mysqld_multi [--config-file=...] [--example] [--help] [--log=...] [--mysqladmin=...] [--mysqld=...] [--no-log] [--password=...] [--tcp-ip] [--user=...] [--version] DESCRIPTION
mysqld_multi --config-file=... Alternative config file. NOTE: This will not affect this program's own options (group [mysqld_multi]), but only groups [mysqld#]. Without this option everything will be searched from the ordinary my.cnf file. --example Give an example of a config file. --help Print this help and exit. --log=... Log file. Full path to and the name for the log file. NOTE: If the file exists, everything will be appended. --mysqladmin=... mysqladmin binary to be used for a server shutdown. --mysqld=... mysqld binary to be used. Note that you can give mysqld_safe to this option also. The options are passed to mysqld. Just make sure you have mysqld in your environment variable PATH or fix mysqld_safe. --no-log Print to stdout instead of the log file. By default the log file is turned on. --password=... Password for user for mysqladmin. --tcp-ip Connect to the MySQL server(s) via the TCP/IP port instead of the UNIX socket. This affects stopping and reporting. If a socket file is missing, the server may still be running, but can be accessed only via the TCP/IP port. By default connecting is done via the UNIX socket. --user=... MySQL user for mysqladmin. --version Print the version number and exit. NOTE
Please see the mysql manual for more detailed information on this. SEE ALSO
isamchk(1), isamlog(1), mysql(1), mysqlaccess(1), mysqladmin(1), mysqld(1), mysqld_safe(1), mysqldump(1), mysql_fix_privilege_tables(1), mysqlshow(1), mysql_zap(1), perror(1), replace(1) For more information please refer to the MySQL reference manual, which may already be installed locally and which is also available online at http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/ BUGS
Please refer to http://bugs.mysql.com/ to report bugs. AUTHOR
Ver 1.0, distribution 4.0.24 Michael (Monty) Widenius (monty@mysql.com), MySQL AB (http://www.mysql.com/). This software comes with no warranty. Manual page by L. (Kill-9) Pedersen (kill-9@kill-9.dk), Mercurmedia Data Model Architect / system developer (http://www.mercur- media.com) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+------------------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+------------------------------------+ |Availability | SUNWmysqlr, SUNWmysqlu, SUNWmysqlt | +--------------------+------------------------------------+ |Interface Stability | External | +--------------------+------------------------------------+ NOTES
Source for mysql is available on http://opensolaris.org. MySQL 4.0 19 December 2000 mysqld_multi(1)