Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Query regarding alias and setting bash as a default script Post 77796 by VENC22 on Wednesday 13th of July 2005 03:33:49 AM
Old 07-13-2005
Query regarding alias and setting bash as a default script

Hi All,
I am setting bash as my working shell in my .profile file.
So I have written a line :
bash
as the list line in my .profile
I want to use alias as follows:
alias me='who am i'
When i log in, as expeced I enter the bash shell but alias doesn't work.
Is it because the alias is defined for other shell than bash??

thanks
ven

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

Setting an alias in Redhat

Hi Everyone, I am trying to set up alias the only way I now how, buy making entry into .bashrc file. The entry I made is alias ll='ls -lrt' It is not working as I expect. When I enter "alias" at the command line I get the following. $ alias alias l.='ls -d .* --color=tty' alias... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxh461
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Alias setting in Solaris

Hi All, I need some information on 'Alias' setting in SUN SOLARIS.:confused: Q1. I want to know how can i set my alias here. Q2. How to view all set 'ALIAS' for me. (say /home/jdash user) Q3. Can i modify the set 'Alias' for me or for whole environment. Q4. Is Alias setting can be change... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdash.ps
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting alias for a user - Linux ubuntu

Hi i have a user "SYSTEM" i want to set the below command in his .profile for an alias: who | awk '{print $1}'| sed '/SYSTEM/d' | sed '/root/d' |xargs -i pkill -u {} i tried as below: alias stop = " who | awk '{print $1}'| sed '/SYSTEM/d' | sed '/root/d' |xargs -i pkill -u {}" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joycesolomon
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bash script & sql query

Hi Guys, I would like with this script "DATA=`ora123 su -c 'echo "SET HEADING OFF;\n SET FEED OFF;\n select USER NAME, ACCOUNT_STATUS from dba_users;\n exit" | sqlplus / as sysdba -s /' ` echo $DATA >> $DAT" make a sql query, but the statement "select USER NAME, ACCOUNT_STATUS from... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ixibits
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

BASH: Change alias to script to add a task

Hi. I use an alias, "homeperm" as shorthand for curl -o. Since most of what I download via cUrl is graphic image files -- jpeg files -- I'd like to be able to change this alias to a script, or use it to invoke a function, which will not only download the file but date-stamp it using Exiv2 in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilversleevesX
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting alias with echoing embedded $ sign

I tried to set up some alias in my .profile to save typing. One of the alais i tried to set up is alais test='echo 123$acct54679abc' But when I typed in test in the command line. The echo only dispaly 123 and truncated all the string starting from the $ sign. Is there any way to display the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: oht
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

alias setting

I want to set an alias to connect to sqlplus and also run a command while it it logs in. How can I do that? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

'Dynamic' setting of variables in bash script

Hi all, I want to dynamically set variables in a bash script. I made a naive attempt in a while loop that hopefully can clarify the idea. n=0; echo "$lst" | while read p; do n=$(($n+1)); p"$n"="$p"; done The error message is: bash: p1=line1: command not found bash: p2=line2: command... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeppe83
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting alias (quotes, acutes)

Hello, I'd like to have an alias to view some processes sorted: I have:ps -ef | grep pmon | awk -F" " '{ print $8" "$0 }' | sort | cut -d" " -f2- | grep -v "grep pmon" It doesn't work, however, if I put it as alias because on acutes insize awk:alias pmon='ps -ef | grep pmon | awk -F" " '{ print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JackK
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Setting default values for variables

I have a variable I want to use in bash script. The user will pass an argument to the script and I will store it in `arg_fql`. If the user does not pass the variable, I still never set arg_fql, but I set another variable to a default. However, if the user passes a value, `arg_fql` will be set to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies
PMDABASH(1)						      General Commands Manual						       PMDABASH(1)

NAME
pmdabash - Bourne-Again SHell trace performance metrics domain agent SYNOPSIS
$PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash/pmdabash [-C] [-d domain] [-l logfile] [-I interval] [-t timeout] [-U username] configfile DESCRIPTION
pmdabash is an experimental Performance Metrics Domain Agent (PMDA) which exports "xtrace" events from a traced bash(1) process. This includes the command execution information that would usually be sent to standard error with the set -x option to the shell. Event metrics are exported showing each command executed, the function name and line number in the script, and a timestamp. Additionally, the process identifier for the shell and its parent process are exported. This requires bash version 4 or later. A brief description of the pmdabash command line options follows: -d It is absolutely crucial that the performance metrics domain number specified here is unique and consistent. That is, domain should be different for every PMDA on the one host, and the same domain number should be used for the same PMDA on all hosts. -l Location of the log file. By default, a log file named bash.log is written in the current directory of pmcd(1) when pmdabash is started, i.e. $PCP_LOG_DIR/pmcd. If the log file cannot be created or is not writable, output is written to the standard error instead. -s Amount of time (in seconds) between subsequent evaluations of the shell trace file descriptor(s). The default is 2 seconds. -m Maximum amount of memory to be allowed for each event queue (one per traced process). The default is 2 megabytes. -U User account under which to run the agent. The default is the unprivileged "pcp" account in current versions of PCP, but in older versions the superuser account ("root") was used by default. INSTALLATION
In order for a host to export the names, help text and values for the bash performance metrics, do the following as root: # cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash # ./Install As soon as an instrumented shell script (see INSTRUMENTATION selection below) is run, with tracing enabled, new metric values will appear - no further setup of the agent is required. If you want to undo the installation, do the following as root: # cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash # ./Remove pmdabash is launched by pmcd(1) and should never be executed directly. The Install and Remove scripts notify pmcd(1) when the agent is installed or removed. INSTRUMENTATION
In order to allow the flow of event data between a bash(1) script and pmdabash, the script should take the following actions: #!/bin/sh source $PCP_DIR/etc/pcp.sh pcp_trace on $@ # enable tracing echo "awoke, $count" pcp_trace off # disable tracing The tracing can be enabled and disabled any number of times by the script. On successful installation of the agent, several metrics will be available: $ pminfo bash bash.xtrace.numclients bash.xtrace.maxmem bash.xtrace.queuemem bash.xtrace.count bash.xtrace.records bash.xtrace.parameters.pid bash.xtrace.parameters.parent bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno bash.xtrace.parameters.function bash.xtrace.parameters.command When an instrumented script is running, the generation of event records can be verified using the pmevent(1) command, as follows: $ pmevent -t 1 -x '' bash.xtrace.records host: localhost samples: all bash.xtrace.records["4538 ./test-trace.sh 1 2 3"]: 5 event records 10:00:05.000 --- event record [0] flags 0x19 (point,id,parent) --- bash.xtrace.parameters.pid 4538 bash.xtrace.parameters.parent 4432 bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno 43 bash.xtrace.parameters.command "true" 10:00:05.000 --- event record [1] flags 0x19 (point,id,parent) --- bash.xtrace.parameters.pid 4538 bash.xtrace.parameters.parent 4432 bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno 45 bash.xtrace.parameters.command "(( count++ ))" 10:00:05.000 --- event record [2] flags 0x19 (point,id,parent) --- bash.xtrace.parameters.pid 4538 bash.xtrace.parameters.parent 4432 bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno 46 bash.xtrace.parameters.command "echo 'awoke, 3'" 10:00:05.000 --- event record [3] flags 0x19 (point,id,parent) --- bash.xtrace.parameters.pid 4538 bash.xtrace.parameters.parent 4432 bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno 47 bash.xtrace.parameters.command "tired 2" 10:00:05.000 --- event record [4] flags 0x19 (point,id,parent) --- bash.xtrace.parameters.pid 4538 bash.xtrace.parameters.parent 4432 bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno 38 bash.xtrace.parameters.function "tired" bash.xtrace.parameters.command "sleep 2" FILES
$PCP_PMCDCONF_PATH command line options used to launch pmdabash $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash/help default help text file for the bash metrics $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash/Install installation script for the pmdabash agent $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash/Remove undo installation script for pmdabash $PCP_LOG_DIR/pmcd/bash.log default log file for error messages and other information from pmdabash PCP ENVIRONMENT
Environment variables with the prefix PCP_ are used to parameterize the file and directory names used by PCP. On each installation, the file /etc/pcp.conf contains the local values for these variables. The $PCP_CONF variable may be used to specify an alternative configura- tion file, as described in pcp.conf(5). SEE ALSO
bash(1), pmevent(1) and pmcd(1). Performance Co-Pilot PCP PMDABASH(1)