Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Appending Text To Each Line That Matches Grep Post 75221 by sysera on Thursday 16th of June 2005 08:37:06 AM
Old 06-16-2005
Question Appending Text To Each Line That Matches Grep

I'm currently digging for a way to append a line to a text file where each line begins with the word "setmqaut". This is a continuation of my IBM MQSeries backup script I'm working on to make my life a little easier.

What I would like to do is have each line that looks like this:
setmqaut -m TEST -n SYSTEM.DEFAULT.PROCESS -t process -g root +inq +set +chg +dlt +dsp

Look like this:
setmqaut -m TEST -n SYSTEM.DEFAULT.PROCESS -t process -g root +inq +set +chg +dlt +dsp >> $LOGFILE

I'm still trying to figure out how to do a grep and make a for go through and add this line to each line that starts with the setmqaut command. I'm guessing sed would be the best way to do this, but unfortunately I'm not as experienced as I'd like with it. Any suggestions would rock! Smilie

In the meantime, it's back to google for me. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending to filename a string of text grep finds

I am wanting to automate a process that includes the step of appending to a filename a string of text that's contained inside the file. I.e. if filename A.fileA contains a string of text that reads 1234 after the phrase ABC, I want the shell script file to rename the file 1234_FileChecked_A.fileA.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: HLee1981
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep the line only if next line matches

Hi I have an Input of following sort AAAA: ProgName="PROGRAM" BBBB: ProgName="BBBBBB" CCCC: DDDD: ProgName="PROGRAM" SSSS: ProgName="PROGRAM" ZZZZ: ProgName="PROGRAM" I want to find the Lines which are followed by ProgName="PROGRAM" Out Put AAAA: (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using grep to move files that contain a line of text

I have a folder with about 4000 files in it. I need to extract the files that contain a certain line of text to another directory. for example files with 'ns1.biz.rr.com' need to be extracted to the directory above or some other directory. I tried using the following but was not successful. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: spartan22
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

| help | unix | grep - Can I use grep to return a string with exactly n matches?

Hello, I looking to use grep to return a string with exactly n matches. I'm building off this: ls -aLl /bin | grep '^.\{9\}x' | tr -s ' ' -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 632816 Nov 25 2008 vi -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 632816 Nov 25 2008 view -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 16008 May 25 2008... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MykC
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep a line from a text file

Hi all, I need to grep a line from a log file which ensures me that the application server script is executed successfully. Some body please help me on this. I also need to write a while loop in which i need to use the status of the above grep output. Could some one please tell me how to use... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: firestar
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increasing a number and appending it to next line of a text file

Hi all, I have text file having a number P100. what i need is when i run a script, it should add 1 to the above number and append it to the next line of a same text file.. when i use the script next time it should check the last line and add 1 to the last number and so on.. like the text... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using regex's from file1, print line and line after matches in file2

Good day, I have a list of regular expressions in file1. For each match in file2, print the containing line and the line after. file1: file2: Output: I can match a regex and print the line and line after awk '{lines = $0} /Macrosiphum_rosae/ {print lines ; print lines } ' ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print line if values in fields matches number and text

datafile: 2017-03-24 10:26:22.098566|5|'No Route for Sndr:RETEK RMS 00040 /ZZ Appl:PF Func:PD Txn:832 Group Cntr:None ISA CntlNr:None Ver:003050 '|'2'|'PFI'|'-'|'EAI_ED_DeleteAll'|'EAI_ED'|NULL|NULL|NULL|139050594|ActivityLog| 2017-03-27 02:50:02.028706|5|'No Route for... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending a text to the top of each line

Platform : Oracle Linux 6.8 Shell : bash I have a file which has lines like below. These are SELECT queries (SQL) In each line, I want the word just after FROM keyword to be copied and printed on the top along with the word PROMPT. The words after FROM clause below are table names. So, they... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match text to lines in a file, iterate backwards until text or text substring matches, print to file

hi all, trying this using shell/bash with sed/awk/grep I have two files, one containing one column, the other containing multiple columns (comma delimited). file1.txt abc12345 def12345 ghi54321 ... file2.txt abc1,text1,texta abc,text2,textb def123,text3,textc gh,text4,textd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shogun1970
6 Replies
BACKUP_APROPOS(8)					       AFS Command Reference						 BACKUP_APROPOS(8)

NAME
backup_apropos - Displays each help entry containing a keyword string SYNOPSIS
backup apropos -topic <help string> [-help] backup ap -t <help string> [-h] DESCRIPTION
The backup apropos command displays the first line of the online help entry for any backup command that has in its name or short description the string specified by the -topic argument. To display the syntax for a command, use the backup help command. OPTIONS
-topic <help string> Specifies the keyword string to match, in lowercase letters only. If the string is more than a single word, surround it with double quotes (" ") or other delimiters. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The first line of a command's online help entry names it and briefly describes its function. This command displays the first line for any backup command where the string specified with the -topic argument is part of the command name or first line. EXAMPLES
The following example lists all backup commands that include the word "tape" in their names or short descriptions: % backup apropos tape labeltape: label a tape readlabel: read the label on tape scantape: dump information recovery from tape status: get tape coordinator status PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
None SEE ALSO
backup(8), backup_help(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BACKUP_APROPOS(8)