Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Read files including spaces
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read files including spaces Post 73868 by jerardfjay on Monday 6th of June 2005 07:55:20 AM
Old 06-06-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumariak
I am accessing two files. I am using read command to read from the files.
fil1 contains the following

Quote:
A b c d e
e d c b A
fil2 contains the following

Quote:
Abcde
edcbA
The following code test.sh

Code:
#! /usr/bin/ksh
echo "processing file 1 delimited by spaces"
IFS=" "
while read line
do
echo $line
done < fil1

echo "processing file 2 delimited by EOL"
IFS=\$
while read line
do
echo $line
done < fil2

will output the following

processing file 1 delimited by spaces
A b c d e
e d c b A
processing file 2 delimited by EOL
Abcde
edcbA

Is this what you were looking for?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Including lib files when compiling

I am using the C compiler included with AIX 4.3.3. I am unable to include libraries when I try to create the executable. Is there a switch that has to be used at compile time to make this happen?? Can anyone help?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrewl68
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Keep spaces with read command

Hi The following command read a string from the keyboard & echo it back. $ read S;echo "$S" ABCD ABCD As you see, the input has space. while it echo back the spaces are removed. Is there a way to keep the input intact and not removing any spaces? Also, the number of spaces may vary. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: azmathshaikh
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

including spaces in awk output

I need to tweek my awk output: #cat filename ab cd ef:ghi:jk lm:nop qrs #cat filename | awk '{ for(i=3;i<NF+1;i++) printf $i}' ef:ghi:jklm:nopqrs I would like the ouput to include the original spaces from columns 3 on: ef:ghi:jk lm:nop qrs any suggestions? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prkfriryce
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading a line including spaces

Hi All, I have a script that reads a file and echo it back to std out. Test.txt 1aaaaaaaaaaa . The script is ReadLine.sh #!/bin/ksh cat $1 | while read file do echo $file done I invoke the script as ReadLine.sh Test.txt The output that I get is (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aksarben
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: including files

I am wondering how I can include external files in a perl script. I'm currently working on a website, and I'd like to put my menu items in a subroutine for example, and put that in another file such as menu.pl. That way, I can call the subroutine from each page (such as news.pl), and if I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LNC
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Including files

Hi, Is it possible to include files (print with EOF, sort of like ssi) in perl/cgi? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marringi
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read files with spaces

Hi I am a newbie to unix. I have a current script that reads a directory for excel files and renames the files. There is a problem now because some of the files have spaces. If I put quotes on the file, it will work but I dont know how to read all the files with quotes. Variables $1 =... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lillyt
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read blank spaces

hi i have a file which store some data.the contents of my file is data1:data2 data3:data4 i have a script which read this file correct="$(cat /root/sh | cut -d: -f1)" i used this syntax..please help me which syntax is used to read blank spaces.and then remove it and after that how to read... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubhig15
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK print last field including SPACES

I have simple test.sh script, see below: bill_code=`echo $record | awk -F"|" '{print $1}'` Fullname=`echo $record | awk -F"|" '{print $3}'` email=`echo $record | awk -F\ '{print $4}'` The last field contains spaces: see csv below: A0222|Y|DELACRUZ|-cc dell@yahoo.com-cc support@yahoo.com ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: quay
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Populating a BASH array with a list of files including spaces-in-the-name

For the record, I already tried telling mgmt and the users to disallow spaces in filenames for this script, but it isn't happening for a number of ID10T-error-based reasons. I have simple list of 3 files in a directory that are named like this: bash-3.2$ ls -1 file* file1 file1 part2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
2 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)