Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: handling special characters
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users handling special characters Post 73815 by effigy on Sunday 5th of June 2005 02:49:27 PM
Old 06-05-2005
handling special characters

Hello everyone,

I use Samba to copy mp3 files to my Red Hat 8.0 box so I can randomize them through a playlist. When I copy:

Sigur Rós-Nýja Lagið.mp3

It shows in the mapped drive on Windows as:

Sigur Rós-N_ja Lagi_.mp3

And via Putty as:

Sigur R(grayed box)s-N_ja Lagi_.mp3

What is going on here? Is there a setting I am missing that is specific to Unix or Samba?

Thanks everyone.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Handling Special Charcters

Dear All, I have created a UTF-8 database to store multi-lingual charcters. Below is the query from which i insert from Winsql (front-end third party database browser tool), the data gets inserted properly. insert into a (no, lbl) values (1, "Cliquez ici pour revenir Ã_ la recherche de... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lloydnwo
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling special characters using awk

Hi all, How do I extract a value without special characters? I need to extract the value of %Used from below and if its greater than 80, need to send a notification. I am doing this right now..Its giving 17%..Is there a way to extract the value and assign it to a variable in one step? df |grep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_78_nyc
3 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

handling maximum number characters in an input file

Hi, Can anyone help me? An input file has three lines. Each line should only be 2098 as number of characters however line 2 of the input file has more than the maximum number of characters, it exceeded up to 4098. What should I do so that could handle maximum number of characters? that it could... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chrysSty
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with awk while handling special charaters

Hi, I have an application.xml file like </dependency> <artifactId>_AdminServicesEAR</artifactId> <version>1.0.0-20080521.085352-1</version> <context-root>oldvalue</context-root> <type>ear</type> <DOCTYPE "abc/xyz/eft"> <NewTag>value123</xyz> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: subin_bala
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

special characters handling in perl

Hi, Here is my piece of code-- sub per_user_qna_detail { for($index=0;$index<@records;$index++) { if($records =~ m/^(.*)\s*Morocco.*Entering\s*Module::authenticate/) { printf "INSIDE per_user_qna_detail on LINE NO $index\n"; $Time_Stamp = $1;... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special characters

When I open a file in vi, I see the following characters: \302\240 Can someone explain what these characters mean. Is it ASCII format? I need to trim those characters from a file. I am doing the following: tr -d '\302\240' ---------- Post updated at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sid1982
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to see special characters?

Hi all, I was wondering how can i see the special characters like \t, \n or anything else in a file by using Nano or any other linux command like less, more etc (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvj
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling Junk Characters

Urgently ur help is needed. Actually my req is i have an input file, that input file may have junk characters (^M, ^Z) etc... eg: cat file name abc^Z addres name2 msdmskd^Z address2 I want to validate the record and display where exactly this junk character resides. I want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: help_scr_seeker
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

special characters

Hey guys, I'm trying to replace "]Facebook" from the text but sed 's/]Facebook/Johan/g' is not working could you please help me with that? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johanni
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies
MP3WRAP(1)						      General Commands Manual							MP3WRAP(1)

NAME
mp3wrap -- Utility for mp3 wrapping SYNOPSIS
mp3wrap [options] OUTPUTFILE f1.mp3 f2.mp3 [f3.mp3]... DESCRIPTION
Mp3Wrap is a free command-line utility, which wraps two or more mp3 files in one large playable file, without losing filename and ID3 informations. It's useful to make large files easy to download on internet and then easy to split again in few seconds. You can split orig- inal files using mp3splt: http://mp3splt.sourceforge.net Mp3Wrap will create a file named: OUTPUTFILE_MP3WRAP.mp3. It's important you don't remove the MP3WRAP string, because this will tell the split program Mp3Splt that the file is wrapped and can be splitted just with -w option. There is also the possibility to specify a custom extension to created file (such as "OUTPUTFILE - MP3WRAP - wrapped by me.mp3"). This can be done using config file (see below), just adding the line "EXT=my ext.mp3" into it. Note that your custom extension must contain MP3WRAP string anywhere, otherwise program will add it by itself. Mp3Wrap will also add to the file a ID3v2 containing informations on how to split the file; you can change Title and Album tags but PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE THE COMMENT. OPTIONS
-a Add specified files to an existing Mp3Wrap file. Files are appended and the index is updated. -l List all files wrapped into a Mp3Wrap file. Doesn't extract anything -v Verbose mode. Mp3Wrap will display additional informations on process and, when using list option (-l) it will show many extra infos on wrapped files. CONFIGURATION FILE
For Linux version valid configuration files are: ~/.mp3wrap (in home directory) .mp3wrap (in the dir you are in that moment). For WIN32 version: PROG_DIR/mp3wrap.ini (dir where mp3wrap.exe is) mp3wrap.ini (in the dir you are in that moment). FILE FORMAT The file consists of key-value pairs in the form KEY=value where key contains no whitespace and no equal signs. value will be all of the text after the equal sign until (but not including) the end- ing newline. Beware of extra spaces at the end of the line! They will probably be interpreted as part of the option value. Valid option keys are: EXT The extension mp3wrap will append to created files. Here is an example: EXT=_MP3WRAP_wrapped by me.mp3 EXAMPLES
mp3wrap album.mp3 file1.mp3 file2.mp3 file3.mp3 file4.mp3 mp3wrap -v album.mp3 file*.mp3 mp3wrap -a album.mp3 file5.mp3 file6.mp3 mp3wrap -l album.mp3 mp3wrap -lv album.mp3 BUGS
Report any bugs you find to Author (see below). Advices and info requests are welcome. SEE ALSO
mp3splt(1) AUTHOR
Matteo Trotta <mtrotta@users.sourceforge.net>. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License. This can be found as COPYING in mp3wrap directory. MP3WRAP(1)