Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers script that enters date in file Post 73780 by vgersh99 on Saturday 4th of June 2005 10:28:05 AM
Old 06-04-2005
date >> file.dated

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file date check script

I am creating a KSH script and need to check the filedate against the system date. I can get the sys date w. date command, and I was able to get the filedate w. the awk command but when I compare them w. an if condition statement I get syntax error. Not sure what's wrong, and other suggestions on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaxconsultant
4 Replies

2. Programming

pick the bug the server enters an infinite loop

here is the server and client side code now there is a bug after which the server enters an infinite loop.the server is designed as an echo server and if it reads /q then the server closes while the client can send messages till /q now after the frst msg when another msg is send infinite loop is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arjunjag
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to change the date format in a file

i have many files with date format of 6-9-2008 and i want a script that can change the format to 2008-06-09 Thanks (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: shehzad_m
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change existing variable value only user enters non-empty string.

I haven't checked any installation script to see how this is done.. But I could not even do following simple task. How do I Change existing variable value only when user enteres non-empty string. ? #!/usr/bin/ksh uid="scott" # Assign new value user enters to uid, else leave it... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to validate file according to date

Hi All, I am very new to unix and just started to work with unix and shell scripting.I have a query anyone help would be much appreciated I am using sun solaris OS I want to validate a file according to its date and if validate successful then it would write the file name,size,date and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sv0081493
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to change name of a file with date

I have a file that contains todays date(for ex- test_08/30/2013) Now I want a script which will run and change the name of the file and put yesterday's date (for ex- test_08/29/2013) Please help. ---------- Post updated at 04:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:31 AM ---------- I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sv0081493
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I take out(remove) the date part in the file name in a script?

Hi All, I need to create links between two directories. have multiple files in a specified location. Source Location ex: /opt/xdm/input/ Target Location ex: /opt/xdm input file names: 1. abc_app.aus.apac.yyyymmdd.dtd 2. abcd_app.aus.apac.yyyymmdd.dtd I need to build a code that reads... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kthri_82
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to determine Date,TotalFile,total size of file based on date

I have file listed like below -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 17M Nov 26 14:43 test1.gz -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 0 Nov 26 14:44 test2.gz -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 0 Nov 27 10:41 test3.gz -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 244K Nov 27 10:41 test4.gz -rw-r--r--+ 1 test test 17M Nov 27 10:41 test5.gz I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krish2014
5 Replies
syslog.conf(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						    syslog.conf(4)

NAME
syslog.conf - syslogd configuration file SYNOPSIS
facility.severity destination Where: Is part of the system generating the message, specified in /usr/include/sys/syslog_pri.h. See also the syslogd(8) reference page. The severity level, which can be emerg, alert, crit, err, warning, notice, info, or debug. See /usr/include/sys/syslog_pri.h. The syslogd daemon logs all messages of the specified severity level plus all messages of greater severity. For example, if you specify level err, all messages of levels err, crit, alert, and emerg or panic are logged. A local file pathname to a log file, a host name for remote logging or a list of users. In the latter case the users will receive messages when they are logged in. An asterisk (*) causes a message to be sent to all users who are currently logged in. DESCRIPTION
The /etc/syslog.conf file is a system file that enables you to configure or filter events that are to be logged by syslogd. You can specify more than one facility and its severity level by separating them with semicolons. You can specify more than one facility logs to the same file by separating the facilities with commas, as shown in the EXAMPLES section. The syslogd daemon ignores blank lines and lines that begin with an octothorpe (#). You can specify # as the first character in a line to include comments in the file or to disable an entry. The facility and severity level are separated from the destination by one or more tab characters. If you want the syslogd daemon to use a configuration file other than the default, you must specify the file name with the following com- mand: # syslogd -f config_file Daily Log Files You can specify in the /etc/syslog.conf file that the syslogd daemon create daily log files. To create daily log files, use the following syntax to specify the path name of the message destination: /var/adm/syslog.dated/ { file} The file variable specifies the name of the log file, for example, mail.log or kern.log. If you specify a /var/adm/syslog.dated/file path name destination, each day the syslogd daemon creates a sub-directory under the /var/adm/syslog.dated directory and a log file in the sub-directory, using the following syntax: /var/adm/syslog.dated/ date / file Where: The date variable specifies the day, month, and time that the log file was created. The file variable specifies the name of the log file you previously specified in the /etc/syslog.conf file. The syslogd daemon automatically cre- ates a new date directory every 24 hours and also when you boot the system. The current directory is a link to the latest date directory. To get the latest logs, you only need to reference the /var/adm/syslog.dated/current directory. EXAMPLES
The following is a sample /etc/syslog.conf file: # # syslogd config file # # facilities: kern user mail daemon auth syslog lpr binary # priorities: emerg alert crit err warning notice info debug # kern.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/kern.log user.debug /var/adm/sys- log.dated/user.log daemon.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/daemon.log auth.crit;syslog.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/syslog.log mail,lpr.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/misc.log msgbuf.err /var/adm/crash.dated/msgbuf.savecore kern.debug /var/adm/messages kern.debug /dev/console *.emerg * FILES
/etc/syslog.conf /etc/syslog.auth - Authorization file for remote logging. /usr/include/sys/syslog_pri.h - Common components of a syslog event log record. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: /usr/sbin/syslogd(8), /usr/sbin/binlogd(8) System Administration delim off syslog.conf(4)