Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Direct disk access
Top Forums Programming Direct disk access Post 73353 by Lopatonosec on Tuesday 31st of May 2005 11:46:09 AM
Old 05-31-2005
So, if I create raw disk device, it'll possible to use it as one big random access file with fseek()'s

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Boot from cd-rom to access disk drives

Hello, I've booted a Digital Unix 4.0D system from cd-rom and I need to access the system's disk drives. I need to run the fixfdmn utility on the root domain so I need to create the root domain in /etc/fdmns. Could someone tell me how to access my system's disk drives after I've booted from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xadamz23
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

Can't access external disk after reboot

Hi, I have an HP RX4640 running HP-UX 11iv3 with two internal disks and its connected to a HP disk system 2400 with fibre cable. If the storage system is online before the server is on then the server can't find the disks. And I get the following error messages: vgchange: Warning: Couldn't... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoff
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Direct/scsu access to unix account

Hey Is there any way to differentiate if a user is logged directly into a UNIX functional account or if they have scsu'ed into the functional account? Cheers Paul (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: runnerpaul
2 Replies

4. Linux

C++ Code to Access Linux Hard Disk Sectors (with a LoopBack Virtual Hard Disk)

Hi all, I'm kind of new to programming in Linux & c/c++. I'm currently writing a FileManager using Ubuntu Linux(10.10) for Learning Purposes. I've got started on this project by creating a loopback device to be used as my virtual hard disk. After creating the loop back hard disk and mounting it... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: shen747
23 Replies

5. Solaris

Changed to AHCI, can not access disk???

Here is my problem: I have an 1.5TB disk with OpenSolaris (b134, b151a) using non AHCI. I then changed to AHCI in BIOS, which results in severe problems: I can not boot the system. I suspect the problem is because I changed to AHCI. Now I have changed back to non AHCI, but still I can not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kebabbert
0 Replies

6. AIX

access data from a new disk was assigned another rootvg

Hello, I try to access to data after connect a new disk (hdisk1) to a AIX 7.1 system This new disk was assigned to a rootvg from another AIX 6.1 system. It seem not assigned to any vg but if I tried to assigned hdisk1 to rootvg i get : Data seem to be always here ... ouf ;-)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Voran
4 Replies

7. AIX

Disabling SSH direct access for an AIX user

Hello everyone, Can anyone help me please. I want to disable SSH direct access for an AIX user. For example, if I have USER1 and USER2. I want to disactivate direct access for USER2. The user must enter his login (USER1) and his password and then he can do su - USER2 . Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adilyos
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating sed Direct Input to Direct Output

Hi guys, been scratching round the forums and my mountain of resources. Maybe I havn't read deep enough My question is not how sed edits a stream and outputs it to a file, rather something like this below: I have a .txt with some text in it :rolleyes: abc:123:xyz 123:abc:987... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: the0nion
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk Space Script to direct output

Hi, I am working on Sun Solaris 5.10 and want to direct the output from a disk space check script to an output file; #!/bin/bash CURRENT=$(df -k /log/logs | grep /log/logs | awk '{ print $5}' | sed 's/%//g') THRESHOLD=30 if ; then echo "Remaining free space is low" > output.txt else... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: SSKAAB
10 Replies

10. AIX

Procedure to restrict direct access as root

Hello, I would like to confirm whether the below procedure is correct. disabled direct super user access on AIX server using below procedure. Please let me know if there is any additional step. 1) confirm the access to HMC, console to reach the LPARs 2) chuser rlogin=false root ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dio34
3 Replies
PREP(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   PREP(8)

NAME
prep, format - prepare hard and floppy diskettes SYNOPSIS
disk/prep [ -ra ] special [ type ] disk/format [ -t type ] [ -f ] [ -d ] [ -b bfile ] [ -c csize ] [ -l label ] drive [ files ... ] DESCRIPTION
A partition table is stored on a hard disk to specify the division of the physical disk into a set of logical units. On Plan 9 the parti- tion table is a list of triples: name, starting sector, and ending sector. The kernel fabricates the first two partitions, disk and parti- tion; the disk partition records the starting and ending sectors for the whole disk, and the partition partition, typically the last sector on the disk, holds the partition table itself. Special is the maximal prefix of names of the logical units on the disk, for example #w/hd0. Prep reads and prints the associated parti- tion table and then enters a simple interactive mode to control editing the table. The options are: -r (read only) prohibits writing the table on disk. -a automatically create default partitions if no partition table already exists. These include partitions for DOS, a boot kernel, an NVRAM substitute, a kfs(4) file system, and, if room remains, a swap partition. Format prepares for use the floppy diskette in the disk file named drive, for example /dev/fd0disk. The options are: -f Do not physically format the disc. Used to install an MS-DOS filesystem on a previously formatted disc. With this option, drive can be a plain file. -t specify a density and type of disk to be prepared. The possible types are: 31/2DD 31/2" double density, 737280 bytes 31/2HD 31/2" high density, 1474560 bytes 51/4DD 51/4" double density, 368640 bytes 51/4HD 51/4" high density, 1146880 bytes The default is the highest possible on the device, unless -f is used, in which case the default is 31/2HD. -d add MS-DOS parameter block, file access table (FAT), and root directory to the start of the floppy. The remaining options have effect only when -d is specified: -b use the contents of bfile as the bootstrap block installed in sector 0. -c use a DOS cluster size of csize sectors when creating the DOS FAT. -l add a label when creating the DOS parameter block. Again under -d, any files listed are added, in order, to the root directory of the MS-DOS filesytem. The files are contiguously allocated and created with the READONLY attribute set. The file /sys/src/boot/pc/bb is an example of a suitable bfile to make the disk a boot disk. It gets loaded by the BIOS at 0x7C00, reads the root directory into address 0x7E00, and looks at the first root directory entry. If that file is called B.COM, it uses single sector reads to load the file into address 0x10000 and then jumps to the loaded file image. EXAMPLE
Create a Plan 9 boot floppy on a previously formatted diskette: disk/format -f -b bb -d /dev/fd0disk /386/b.com SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/disk/prep.c /sys/src/cmd/disk/format.c /sys/src/boot/pc/bb.s SEE ALSO
floppy(3), wren(3), b.com(8) PREP(8)