Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: corrupt or lost data
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers corrupt or lost data Post 7225 by LivinFree on Friday 21st of September 2001 03:04:14 AM
Old 09-21-2001
Well, a lot of what you are missing is likely to be specific to your machine. Also, I don't know exactly what physical machine you've got - the best I can do is guess:
VENDOR : Motorola
MODELS : Delta 3000/Delta 4000

I don't know anything specific about Delta's, but as best I can figure out, this is connected (or was connected) to a call center controller?

I think your best bet is to try to restore from tape, like you suggested. Use the `tar` command. Depending on what the device name your tape drive has, it would follow this format:
tar -t | grep "usr/acd/data"
You may need to specify the tape device:
tar tf /dev/rmt0 | grep "usr/acd/data"

And for "backdoor" passwords, I assume you mean for the root account. I have no idea what you're asking, but I don't know about that system, so more than likely I couldn't answer it.

Hope this helps...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

recover lost data

I did a rm -r command on a directory. I would like to know if there is any way I can recover the data that was lost during this operation. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkappaz
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

lost data

Hi, Instead of using the tar xvf ...I used tar cvf <device file> for a DLT and the whole of the 50GB data was lost in less than 10sec....The data was not over written for sure. but when i use a tar tvf there is nothing inside. Can i get back the data by any means. If not y. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i2admin
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lost or deleted data in Unix?

Quote: "Until the space is used for another file, it is not deleted and the data can be recovered (although it may require jumping through hoops)." Unquote I know this is true in the Windows world, but I didn't think it was true of Unix. I had always been told once it was deleted in Unix, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wmosley2
1 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Lost Data Lost Admin

First time so excuse my ignorance please. I may not be accurately describing the issue. I have inherited a small lab mostly SUN V120s. We lost power and are trying to recover. Nope no backups... The primary issue I have is 1 box is an Oracle Server. It has 2 36Gb harddrives. I am able to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: murphsr
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Deletion of Data from Lost+Found Directory

Hie I am running a sun solaris server of about 300 gigabytes disk capacity. The problem is that the machine has been having problems over the past year and at times the machine would just freeze or hang and had to be re-booted. Consequently there are too many entries in the lost+found... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ranganai
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Recovering lost folders/files data

Hello, Is there a way to recover data from a SCO UNIXWARE 7.4 operating system without using a tape backup device? We believe there is some data in some directories that was there once; but not anymore, we don't have a backup on tape. So, is there any other solution to recover? Hope... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yorgy
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to recover data from lost+found

Hi All, I am facing a problem of filesystem corruption,where i am trying to recover data with fsck -f <device name> ,now it restore the corrupted data in lost+found directory.Please let me know how to recover the data from lost+found directory. Thanks, Shailesh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sbapotikar
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Data recovery from lost+found in centos6.2

Respective sir, I have Centos-6.2 on my system(P-4,1GB RAM, 80GB hdd).While working on my system I just face one problem my all folder get symbol of lock so I go for open terminal but my terminal is also not opened.So I shut down my pc without proper way.After restart my system I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kiran ursal
1 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Need some help with lost data on external drive

Hi all, I would really appreciate some assistance with some lost data on external drive. The external is a Seagate Goflex 3TB drive, Desktop hard drive | External Desktop hard drives | FreeAgent | GoFlex Desk | Seagate The purpose of the drive is to do time machine backups to it from my mac.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: brianjb
7 Replies
MTIO(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   MTIO(4)

NAME
mtio -- generic magnetic tape I/O interface SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/ioctl.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/mtio.h> DESCRIPTION
Magnetic tape has been the computer system backup and data transfer medium of choice for decades, because it has historically been cheaper in cost per bit stored, and the formats have been designed for portability and storage. However, tape drives have generally been the slowest mass storage devices attached to any computer system. Magnetic tape comes in a wide variety of formats, from classic 9-track, through various Quarter Inch Cartridge (QIC) variants, to more modern systems using 8mm video tape, and Digital Audio Tape (DAT). There have also been a variety of proprietary tape systems, including DECtape, and IBM 3480. UNIX TAPE I/O Regardless of the specific characteristics of the particular tape transport mechanism (tape drive), UNIX tape I/O has two interfaces: "block" and "raw". I/O through the block interface of a tape device is similar to I/O through the block special device for a disk driver: the indi- vidual read(2) and write(2) calls can be done in any amount of bytes, but all data is buffered through the system buffer cache, and I/O to the device is done in 1024 byte sized blocks. This limitation is sufficiently restrictive that the block interface to tape devices is rarely used. The "raw" interface differs in that all I/O can be done in arbitrary sized blocks, within the limitations for the specific device and device driver, and all I/O is synchronous. This is the most flexible interface, but since there is very little that is handled automatically by the kernel, user programs must implement specific magnetic tape handling routines, which puts the onus of correctness on the application program- mer. DEVICE NAME CONVENTIONS Each magnetic tape subsystem has a couple of special devices associated with it. The block device is usually named for the driver, e.g. /dev/st0 for unit zero of a st(4) SCSI tape drive. The raw device name is the block device name with an "r" prepended, e.g. /dev/rst0. By default, the tape driver will rewind the tape drive when the device is closed. To make it possible for multiple program invocations to sequentially write multiple files on the same tape, a "no rewind on close" device is provided, denoted by the letter "n" prepended to the name of the device, e.g. /dev/nst0, /dev/nrst0. The mt(1) command can be used to explicitly rewind, or otherwise position a tape at a particular point with the no-rewind device. FILE MARK HANDLING Two end-of-file (EOF) markers mark the end of a tape (EOT), and one end-of-file marker marks the end of a tape file. By default, the tape driver will write two End Of File (EOF) marks and rewind the tape when the device is closed after the last write. If the tape is not to be rewound it is positioned with the head in between the two tape marks, where the next write will over write the sec- ond end-of-file marker. All of the magnetic tape devices may be manipulated with the mt(1) command. A number of ioctl(2) operations are available on raw magnetic tape. Please see <sys/mtio.h> for their definitions. The manual pages for specific tape device drivers should list their particular capabilities and limitations. SEE ALSO
dd(1), mt(1), pax(1), tar(1), st(4), wt(4) HISTORY
The mtio manual appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
The status should be returned in a device independent format. If and when NetBSD is updated to deal with non-512 byte per sector disk media through the system buffer cache, perhaps a more sane tape interface can be implemented. BSD
January 14, 1999 BSD