Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: manipulation
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers manipulation Post 72178 by vgersh99 on Thursday 19th of May 2005 11:52:33 AM
Old 05-19-2005
this?

Code:
#!/bin/ksh
while read c1 c2
do
   #echo "column1->[${c1}] column2->[${c2}]"
   echo "select ${c1} from table where something = ${cl2}"
done < myTableFile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Manipulation...

Hi Freinds, :b: i have a flat file with below format... 1234,Hary,102.55 4567,Maria,250.40 78942,suzan,261.60 48965,Harun,179.32 so I need a script that can get me as below format... 1) 1234,Hary,103 2) 4567,Maria,250 3) 78942,suzan,262 4) 48965,Harun,179 Which means, it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcomex999
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

string manipulation

Hi all, see i have a script that takes few arguments. first one is command we do on file, next is file (mostly txt file with lot of data) third is destination where we do something with data in file. Since im new in scripting, and im learning as i go, i need some hint how to manipulate that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajemrunner
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

$0 manipulation in awk

OK, so if $0 represent the entire record... can I change $2 and will that be reflected back in $0? I think the following answers that YES, it does work. But is there anything I should be thinking about prior to doing this? What I am actually doing is part of 5 pages of scripting and awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joeyg
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PATH manipulation

I have a requirement like this: I have modified versions of certain internal/external commands that I am putting into some directory say /mydir. All the users will go an authentication check once they log in and based on the outcome there are two possibilities: 1. User passes... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramesh_samane
12 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Text Manipulation Help

Hello Unix.com, I have a text in format: john sara lee How can I make it: john:john john:john1 john:john12 john:john123 sara:sara sara:sara12 sara:sara123 and so on (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: galford
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Text manipulation help

Hello unix.com users, I have a ip file (line-by-line). How can I delete the ips that keep repeating by mark XXX.XXX.XXX.* ... I want to erase only the lines that keep repeating more than 2 times. Example: 1.2.3.1 1.2.3.2 1.2.3.3 I want to erase all ips blocks that are repeating by C... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: galford
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Manipulation of a list

I have a list of file names, such as below n02-z30-dsr65-terr0.50-dc0.002-8x6drw-csq.msf n02-z30-dsr65-terr0.50-dc0.006-8x6drw-csq.msf n02-z30-dsr65-terr0.50-dc0.010-8x6drw-csq.msf n02-z30-dsr65-terr0.50-dc0.004-8x6drw-csq.msf n02-z30-dsr65-terr0.50-dc0.008-8x6drw-csq.msf I want to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

String manipulation

I want to do the next "I don't want to go school because I'm sick today." I want to join these two line but only when the first line is not more than 20 characters and ended whit nothing or a comma and the second line not more than 15. The 20 and the 15 can be change in the script. I know... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: thailand
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

String manipulation

Hello Could you help with small script: How to split string X1 into 3 string String X1 can have 1 or many strings X1='A1:B1:C1:D1:A2:B2:C2:D2:A3:B3:C3:D3' This is output which I want to have: Z1='A1:B1:C1:D1' Z2='A2:B2:C2:D2' Z3='A3:B3:C3:D3' (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikus
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

File manipulation

Hi, I want to update the file with a value at a particular position $cat test.txt COL1=TEST COL2= COL3=AADSDFSDFDSFDFDF I want to update the file with a value for COL2. After update, the file should be like this $cat test.txt COL1=TEST COL2=1 COL3=AADSDFSDFDSFDFDF here 1... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vedanta
9 Replies
echo(1) 							   User Commands							   echo(1)

NAME
echo - echo arguments SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/echo [string...] DESCRIPTION
The echo utility writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. If there are no arguments, only the NEWLINE character will be written. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files, for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of environ- ment variables. The C shell, the Korn shell, and the Bourne shell all have echo built-in commands, which, by default, will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. See shell_builtins(1). sh's echo, ksh's echo, and /usr/bin/echo understand the back-slashed escape charac- ters, except that sh's echo does not understand a as the alert character. In addition, ksh's echo, does not have an -n option. sh's echo and /usr/bin/echo only have an -n option if the SYSV3 environment variable is set (see ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES below). If it is, none of the backslashed characters mentioned above are available. csh's echo and /usr/ucb/echo, on the other hand, have an -n option, but do not under- stand the back-slashed escape characters. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: string A string to be written to standard output. If any operand is "-n", it will be treated as a string, not an option. The following character sequences will be recognized within any of the arguments: a Alert character.  Backspace. c Print line without new-line. All characters following the c in the argument are ignored. f Form-feed. New-line. Carriage return. Tab. v Vertical tab. \ Backslash. n Where n is the 8-bit character whose ASCII code is the 1-, 2- or 3-digit octal number representing that character. USAGE
Portable applications should not use -n (as the first argument) or escape sequences. The printf(1) utility can be used portably to emulate any of the traditional behaviors of the echo utility as follows: o The Solaris 2.6 operating environment or compatible version's /usr/bin/echo is equivalent to: printf "%b " "$*" o The /usr/ucb/echo is equivalent to: if [ "X$1" = "X-n" ] then shift printf "%s" "$*" else printf "%s " "$*" fi New applications are encouraged to use printf instead of echo. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Finding how far below root your current directory is located You can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o Echo your current-working-directory's full pathname. o Pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters. o Pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. Below are the different flavors for echoing a string without a NEWLINE: Example 2: /usr/bin/echo example% /usr/bin/echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 3: sh/ksh shells example$ echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 4: csh shell example% echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" Example 5: /usr/ucb/echo example% /usr/ucb/echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of echo: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. SYSV3 This environment variable is used to provide compatibility with INTERACTIVE UNIX System and SCO UNIX installation scripts. It is intended for compatibility only and should not be used in new scripts. EXIT STATUS
The following error values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
echo(1B), printf(1), shell_builtins(1), tr(1), wc(1), ascii(5), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) NOTES
When representing an 8-bit character by using the escape convention n, the n must always be preceded by the digit zero(0). For example, typing: echo 'WARNING:7' will print the phrase WARNING: and sound the "bell" on your terminal. The use of single (or double) quotes (or two backslashes) is required to protect the "" that precedes the "07". Following the , up to three digits are used in constructing the octal output character. If, following the n, you want to echo addi- tional digits that are not part of the octal representation, you must use the full 3-digit n. For example, if you want to echo "ESC 7" you must use the three digits "033" rather than just the two digits "33" after the . 2 digits Incorrect: echo"0337 | od -xc produces: df0a (hex) 337 (ascii) 3 digits Correct: echo "00337" | od -xc produces: lb37 0a00 (hex) 033 7 (ascii) For the octal equivalents of each character, see ascii(5). SunOS 5.10 20 Jan 2000 echo(1)