Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers search special characters in a file Post 71669 by cramya80 on Friday 13th of May 2005 09:51:59 AM
Old 05-13-2005
search special characters in a file

Hello
I am new to shell scripting and can anyone tell me how to check if there are any special characters in a file. Can i use grep ?
thanks
susie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to see special characters in a file using vi

Hi, I have a file which has special characters. I can't see them when I "vi" the file. But I am sure there are some special un seen characters. How can I see them? Please help. Thx (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jingi1234
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl code to search for filenames that contain special characters

Hello, I have a requirement to search a directory, which contains any number of other directories for file names that contain special characters. directory structure DIR__ |__>DIR1 |__>DIR2__ |__>DIR2.1 |__>DIR2.2 |__>DIR3 .. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete a file with special characters

I don't now exactly how I did it, but I created a file named " -C " cexdi:/home1 $ls -lt total 1801336 -rw------- 1 cexdi ced-group 922275840 23 mars 10:03 -C How do I delete this file ? cexdi:/home1 $rm -C rm: invalid option -- C Syntax : rm filename ... Doesn't work...... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yveslagace
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk search pattern with special characters passed from CL

I'm very new to awk and sed and I've been struggling with this for a while. I'm trying to search a file for a string with special characters and this string is a command line argument to a simple script. ./myscript "searchpattern" file #!/bin/sh awk "/$1/" $2 > dupelistfilter.txt sed... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cue
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there anyway to grep any special characters from a file ?

Is there any command or shell script to grep any special character from a file ? I have a huge file containing millions of user names; the requirement is to find names containing special characters. #!/bin/bash for i in `cat username.txt` do #COMMAND to grep special character done ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: poga
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File containing special characters

Hello All, I am facing challenges in order to transfer a file from windows to unix box,the file contains a special character '×' ,now when I am transferring the file from windows to unix that special character converted to something else like 'Ã' ,another thing I have noticed that the hardware is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prarat
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitute special Characters into a file

Hi experts :) I need to replace special characters into a file , in the followiing way : " --> "" ' --> '' _--> \_ I tried with the sed command but I'm getting and error ksh: $: not found. ksh: $: not found. sed: Function s/\/\/ cannot be parsed. Any idea ? Thanks , KOLAS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kolas79
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search avoiding special characters

Hi all, I have a list which I want to search in another file. I can do that using grep -f but the search is failing due to special characters, how do I solve this? One row in that list is amino-acid permease inda1 gb|EDU41782.1| amino-acid permease inda1 Input file to be searched... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gina.lizar
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search special characters in a file and replace with meaningful text messages like Hello

Search special characters in a file and replace with meaningful text messages like Hello (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raka_rjit
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Rename File Name with Special Characters

I am trying to rename files with spaces and other characters and not able to be successful. FileNames: UPLOAD REFERENCE.xls UPLOAD MASS REFERENCE.XLS find /UPLOAD REFERENCE/ -depth -type f -name "* *" -exec rename " " "_" "{}" ";" The above one is successful to replace spaces... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eskay
1 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)