Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to select strings with space? Post 71225 by nir_s on Monday 9th of May 2005 08:00:38 AM
Old 05-09-2005
Hi muthukumar,

Thanks for your reply!
I didn't understand the meaning of "IFS parameter".
To which parameter did you mean?

Thanks in advance,
Nir

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find lines with space between strings

Hello all, I am having trouble with setting up a regular expression used with egrep. My script reads an input file a line at a time. I would like the egrep command to search for the following pattern: server name at the beginning of the line, then one or more spaces, and then a pound sign. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Galt
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

select a line that contains the strings

hi i have a file, from the file i need to extract the lines that contains both 17 and Received msg string, i used cat <filename> | grep 17 | grep "Received msg" > <new file> but it is not giving the required o/p please help thanks in advance Satya (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing empty lines(space) between two lines containing strings

Hi, Please provide shell script to Remove empty lines(space) between two lines containing strings in a file. Input File : A1/EXT "BAP_BSC6/07B/00" 844 090602 1605 RXOCF-465 PDTR11 1 SITE ON BATTERY A2/EXT... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhakaryadav
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract lines between 2 strings add white space

I'm trying to extract all the lines between 2 strings (including the lines containing the strings) To make the strings unique I need to include white space if possible. I'm not certain how to do that. sed -n '/ string1 /,/string2/p' infile > outfile & (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcfargo
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to preserve space while concatenating strings? (KSH)

I have these str1=$(echo "This is string one with spaces \n This is also my sentence 1") When I echo $str1, it displays the new line character properly. Now I have another new variable say str2. I want to concatenate in this way.. str1 + newline character + and then str2. That's I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dahlia84
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete strings in file1 based on the list of strings in file2

Hello guys, should be a very easy questn for you: I need to delete strings in file1 based on the list of strings in file2. like file2: word1_word2_ word3_word5_ word3_word4_ word6_word7_ file1: word1_word2_otherwords..,word3_word5_others... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: roussine
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines in file containing duplicate strings, keeping longer strings

The question is not as simple as the title... I have a file, it looks like this <string name="string1">RZ-LED</string> <string name="string2">2.0</string> <string name="string2">Version 2.0</string> <string name="string3">BP</string> I would like to check for duplicate entries of... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare strings with space in if statement

DEV> vi test_if_statement.sh "test_if_statement.sh" 9 lines, 205 characters proc_out="Normal completion" proc_out_comp="Normal completion" echo 'proc_out:'$proc_out echo 'proc_out_comp:'$proc_out_comp if then echo 'match' else echo 'no_match' fi ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cartrider
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and repllace of strings with space between words

Dear all, I have gone through all the search and replace requests but none of them meet my particular need. I have a huge file in which all Unicode characters are stored as Names. A sample is given below. I want to replace strings in that file with a mapper from another file termed as master.dic. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to pass strings from a list of strings from another file and create multiple files?

Hello Everyone , Iam a newbie to shell programming and iam reaching out if anyone can help in this :- I have two files 1) Insert.txt 2) partition_list.txt insert.txt looks like this :- insert into emp1 partition (partition_name) (a1, b2, c4, s6, d8) select a1, b2, c4, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nubie2linux
2 Replies
create_fastlinks(5)						File Formats Manual					       create_fastlinks(5)

NAME
create_fastlinks - configure the system to use fast symbolic links VALUES
Minimum Maximum Default Specify integer value. DESCRIPTION
When is nonzero, it causes the system to create HFS symbolic links in a manner that reduces the number of disk-block accesses by one for each symbolic link in a path name lookup. This involves a slight change in the HFS disk format, which makes any disk formatted for fast symbolic links unusable on Series 700 systems prior to HP-UX Release 9.0 and Series 800 systems prior to HP-UX Release 10.0 (this config- urable parameter was present on Series 700 Release 9.0 systems, but not on Series 800 HP-UX 9.0 systems). To provide backward compatibility, the default setting for is zero, which does not create the newer, faster format. However, all HP-UX 10.0 kernels (and all Series 700 HP-UX 9.0 kernels) understand both disk formats, whether "create_fastlinks" is set to zero or non-zero. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. Tunable Kernel Parameters create_fastlinks(5)