Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Advanced Getopts
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Advanced Getopts Post 71183 by stefan_hery on Sunday 8th of May 2005 04:32:02 AM
Old 05-08-2005
Advanced Getopts

Hi all,

I am using getops to get the arguments passed by the command line.
However, I need to specify some rules regarding the parameter sent.
For eg:
I have script called MyScript which accept parameter d, I, E, r, u
so the usage should be like this:
MyScript [-d N] [-I] [-E] [-r] [-u string]

So far, I finished that part.
But, what I want to do now is:
Suppose if user specify parameter d, it should not accept parameter I and E
If user want to use parameter r and u, it should be accompanied by parameter d , I, or E

So,
MyScript -d5 -I -> InCorrect (should return error)
MyScript -d5 -> Correct
MyScript -r -> InCorrect
MyScript -r -I -> Correct

Could anyone help me..

Thx in advance..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in getopts

hey need help with getopts again. i am using getopts to read my command line options and arguments. i can manage to do for options that have only one argument e.g srcipt_name -f 3 i am able to use getopts to do this but i am having problems two accept more than two agruments e.g.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: problems
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopts help

Hi i have part of the scripts below ,getopt for -h or ? not working for me. can anybody tell me if this sytax right or wrong. #!/usr/bin/ksh program=$(basename $0) ##################################################################################### function usageerr { RC=1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GrepMe
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in getopts

Hi, My script will take a input file as a parameter(which is not mandatory) and also an option. ksh my_script.sh <inputfile> The option -n I have given is no way related to the input file. Now the problem here is when i execute the script specifying the input file and the option(the way... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chella
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using getopts

I am having some trouble/questions with getopts that I can't find any solid info on with google I need it to parse things of the syntax of: -r # # # -f -c with as many repeats as possible, and it should catch erroneous commands also, but continue going... my first question is, -r... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TurboArkhan
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getopts

Hey, i need help with the use of getopts in shell script. tried reading a lot online, but found incomplete examples (maybe complete but cudn't make out). PLzz help...explain in deatil plzzz, i am a newbie:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SasankaBITS
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopts help

First off, I apologize for my lack of knowledge. I realize my problem will probably seem pretty basic to everyone, but I've been at this for several hours now and I've gotten nowhere. I would contact my professor, but it is too late for that. Anyway, I'm trying to write a function called... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Unknown50862
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

? used in getopts

Suppose I have a code below . while getopts a: opt do case $opt in a) app_name="$OPTARG";; *) echo "$opt is an invalid option"; exit 1;; ?) echo "The value of $OPTARG is an invalid option"; exit 1;; esac done Could anyone please tell me in which case my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maitree
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using getopts. Need help

Hi all... I have been looking on here for the past few days for an answer and Im gonna have to break down and ask. I just learned about the getopts command last week so have been trying to utilize it in my scripts. Below, I am trying to set up a case structure for options using getopts.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: losingit
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getopts

while getopts v OPTION do case $OPTION in v) echo "Hello" ;; *) exit 1;; esac done Suppose I have script tmp.sh Whose Signature is tmp.sh <fixed_argument> When I run the script with tmp.sh -v "file", it echoes a hello but, when I try the other way i.e, tmp.sh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Devendra Hupri
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getopts help

Hi All, I am writing a script to pass the getopts argument to the function which I have. But it as soon as I execute the script, the argument is taking it as blank. I tried using multiple way to check but its not working. Can someone please let me know what wrong in this code. function1()... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidh_arth85
4 Replies
ACCEPT(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							 ACCEPT(2)

NAME
accept -- accept a connection on a socket SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/socket.h> int accept(int s, struct sockaddr *addr, int *addrlen); DESCRIPTION
The argument s is a socket that has been created with socket(2), bound to an address with bind(2), and is listening for connections after a listen(2). The accept() argument extracts the first connection request on the queue of pending connections, creates a new socket with the same properties of s and allocates a new file descriptor for the socket. If no pending connections are present on the queue, and the socket is not marked as non-blocking, accept() blocks the caller until a connection is present. If the socket is marked non-blocking and no pending connections are present on the queue, accept() returns an error as described below. The accepted socket may not be used to accept more con- nections. The original socket s remains open. The argument addr is a result parameter that is filled in with the address of the connecting entity, as known to the communications layer. The exact format of the addr parameter is determined by the domain in which the communication is occurring. The addrlen is a value-result parameter; it should initially contain the amount of space pointed to by addr; on return it will contain the actual length (in bytes) of the address returned. This call is used with connection-based socket types, currently with SOCK_STREAM. It is possible to select(2) a socket for the purposes of doing an accept() by selecting it for read. For certain protocols which require an explicit confirmation, such as ISO or DATAKIT, accept() can be thought of as merely dequeuing the next connection request and not implying confirmation. Confirmation can be implied by a normal read or write on the new file descriptor, and rejection can be implied by closing the new socket. One can obtain user connection request data without confirming the connection by issuing a recvmsg(2) call with an msg_iovlen of 0 and a non- zero msg_controllen, or by issuing a getsockopt(2) request. Similarly, one can provide user connection rejection information by issuing a sendmsg(2) call with providing only the control information, or by calling setsockopt(2). RETURN VALUES
The call returns -1 on error. If it succeeds, it returns a non-negative integer that is a descriptor for the accepted socket. ERRORS
The accept() will fail if: [EBADF] The descriptor is invalid. [ENOTSOCK] The descriptor references a file, not a socket. [EOPNOTSUPP] The referenced socket is not of type SOCK_STREAM. [EFAULT] The addr parameter is not in a writable part of the user address space. [EWOULDBLOCK] The socket is marked non-blocking and no connections are present to be accepted. [EMFILE] The per-process descriptor table is full. [ENFILE] The system file table is full. SEE ALSO
bind(2), connect(2), listen(2), select(2), socket(2) HISTORY
The accept() function appeared in 4.2BSD. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution December 11, 1993 4.2 Berkeley Distribution