Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Make file in Unix
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Make file in Unix Post 67658 by Kelam_Magnus on Thursday 24th of March 2005 10:40:00 PM
Old 03-24-2005
yes in unix there is a way to make a file of a certain size too...

In HPUX, it is called "prealloc"... sometimes used for place holders or even used to overwrite a disk or a tape.

There is a make command but I dont think you want that one.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How can I make ls -l in HP-UNIX?

I made a liitle source about that.. BUt I got a trouble when making files'authority.. How can I display them?? p.s.) used struct stat .. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sangjinn
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Make a copy of a unix HDD

i have this HDD with SCO 5.0.6 and i'm getting this errors WARNING: wd0: Error on fixed disk dev 1/42, block=4829, cmd=0x000000C8 Sun Mar 11 05:50:08 2007 status=0x00000040, LBA sector=1285723, cylinder/head=5022/0 WARNING: wd0: Error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: josramon
0 Replies

3. Programming

Unix Make

I need tutorial on Make utility on Unix. Any help or link appreciated. many thanks Mirko (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmipko
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to make sound using C under UNIX

i'm programming using C under UNIX. i wonder to how make sound using C ? any sound like "beep" would be fine. thx. :confused: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: trapeze
6 Replies

5. Solaris

how to make file link in c under unix

how to make link command by c language (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ma7moudax
2 Replies

6. Programming

makeutility: how to get the make-file name inside of the make-file?

How I can get the current make-file name in a make-file So, if I run make with specified file:make -f target.mak is it possible to have the 'target' inside of the that 'target.mak' from the file name? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

7. Hardware

How to make terminals with a PC(UNIX/LInux) support?

I want to build a network, in this network there is only one PC and 50 terminals, 50 students can use this system to study UNIX/Linux. In the old days, computer was very expensive, many scientists shared a computer with terminals, that means a terminal has no cpu, memory and hardisk. In... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: haixiao_liu
5 Replies

8. HP-UX

HP-unix make file Problem

Dear Unixians, I have try to link my libraries with tuxedo that showing following errors, ] My make file few lines: .... actual linking regards, kkl (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kkl
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make bold chars in UNIX

Hi all, I want to make the string as bold in unix. is there any way to acheive this? thanks in advance. (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: SekhaReddy
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read csv file, convert the data and make one text file in UNIX shell scripting

I have input data looks like this which is a part of a csv file 7,1265,76548,"0102:04" 8,1266,76545,"0112:04" I need to make the output data should look like this and the output data will be part of text file: 7|1265000 |7654899 |A| 8|12660000 |76545999 |B| The logic behind the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: RJG
6 Replies
prealloc(1)						      General Commands Manual						       prealloc(1)

NAME
prealloc - preallocate disk storage SYNOPSIS
name size DESCRIPTION
preallocates at least size bytes of disk space for an ordinary file name, creating the file if name does not already exist. The space is allocated in an implementation-dependent fashion for fast sequential reads and writes of the file. fails and no disk space is allocated if name already exists and is not an ordinary file of zero length, if insufficient space is left on disk, or if size exceeds the maximum file size or the file size limit of the process (see ulimit(2)). The file is zero-filled. DIAGNOSTICS
returns one of the following values upon completion: 0 Successful completion. 1 name already exists and is not an ordinary file of zero length. 2 There is insufficient room on the disk. 3 size exceeds file size limits. EXAMPLES
The following example preallocates 50000 bytes for the file WARNINGS
Allocation of file space is highly dependent on current disk usage. A successful return does not indicate how fragmented the file actually might be if the disk is approaching its capacity. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
prealloc(2), ulimit(2). prealloc(1)