Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can someone help translate this snippet? Post 67608 by Heron on Thursday 24th of March 2005 12:10:40 PM
Old 03-24-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarikle
All it is doing is looking for all processes where thing1 and dtsession can be identified when running "ps" and exclude the "grep" command itself.

If true (i.e. processes found matching criteria) then pass all of the process IDs to "kill". The command is expecting to find the process ID in field 2, which is parsed by "awk".

What error are you encountering?
I'm not receiving and error - I'm reading a script that was created by someone else.

I don't write very many scripts so the syntax was throwing for a loop. I understood the jist of it, but wanted to get some clarification.

I'm trying to recreate this script so that it will run on a Linux box in a bash shell.

thanks!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

gui text box code snippet?

Hello, I have written some scripts that query the user and waits for keyboard input for an answer. I was wondering if there is any generic code snippets out there that would allow me to run this as a GUI. I am thinking of a simple dialogue box that would display the question and have a text... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Allasso
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash snippet to find files based on a text file?

Evening all. I'm having a terrible time with a script I've been working on for a few days now... Say I have a text file named top10song.tm2, with the following in it: kernkraft 400 Imagine i kissed a girl Thriller animals hallelujah paint it black psychosocial Oi to the world... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: DJ Charlie
14 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Code snippet for signals

Hi. This is code snipped I have. I am trying to play with signals... int main(int argc, char *argv) { int i; sigset_t s; //declare set of signals sigfillset(&s); //initializes the signal set to include all of the defined signals int j; for ( i = 0 ; i < 70 ; i++){ j... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: joker40
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script required to extract a specific snippet from the entire file.

Hi, I have a file with the following structure. XXXXX........... YYYYY........... ................. .................. ZZZZZZ...... qwerty_start.............. .................. ................. .................. querty_end................ .............................. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abinash
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script required to truncate all the lines except a specific snippet.

Hi, I have a file with the following structure. XXXXX........... YYYYY........... ................. .................. ZZZZZZ...... qwerty_start.............. .................. ................. .................. querty_end................ .............................. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abinash
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is this perl snippet is doing?

perl -e '@stat=stat("/etc/passwd");$now_string=localtime($stat);print $ARGV.":$now_string\n"' ./file_name Please if anyone can describe it. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ezee
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Another method for this snippet

Hi All, i believe this is not very efficient. another method would be appreciated for these. basically i read a file with tab delimited column and pass the column to another perl script. while read line do timestamp=`echo "$line"|awk -F"\t" '{print $1}'` severity=`echo... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryandegreat25
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Code snippet to cut XML files based on record length

I want to do FTP an Huge XML file to mainframe server using AIX server Since my file size is huge, i want to split the XML file based on a delimiter , the record delimiter should be set after every 27000 bytes of data and then do the ftp This is done becos the data send to the mainframe must... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishwanath001
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Syntax error in code snippet

Hello, I am attaching a code snippet. Some of the variables are set in earlier code like count, arrays harr1, harr2, barr1 and barr2. The code below gives syntax errors. I am very new to Bash. for (( i=0; i<=$(( $count -1 )); i++ )) do #Now read the element at barr2 location i. Also find... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngabrani
2 Replies
PKILL(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  PKILL(1)

NAME
pgrep, pkill -- find or signal processes by name SYNOPSIS
pgrep [-Lafilnoqvx] [-F pidfile] [-G gid] [-P ppid] [-U uid] [-d delim] [-g pgrp] [-t tty] [-u euid] pattern ... pkill [-signal] [-ILafilnovx] [-F pidfile] [-G gid] [-P ppid] [-U uid] [-g pgrp] [-t tty] [-u euid] pattern ... DESCRIPTION
The pgrep command searches the process table on the running system and prints the process IDs of all processes that match the criteria given on the command line. The pkill command searches the process table on the running system and signals all processes that match the criteria given on the command line. The following options are available: -F pidfile Restrict matches to a process whose PID is stored in the pidfile file. -G gid Restrict matches to processes with a real group ID in the comma-separated list gid. -I Request confirmation before attempting to signal each process. -L The pidfile file given for the -F option must be locked with the flock(2) syscall or created with pidfile(3). -P ppid Restrict matches to processes with a parent process ID in the comma-separated list ppid. -U uid Restrict matches to processes with a real user ID in the comma-separated list uid. -d delim Specify a delimiter to be printed between each process ID. The default is a newline. This option can only be used with the pgrep command. -a Include process ancestors in the match list. By default, the current pgrep or pkill process and all of its ancestors are excluded (unless -v is used). -f Match against full argument lists. The default is to match against process names. -g pgrp Restrict matches to processes with a process group ID in the comma-separated list pgrp. The value zero is taken to mean the process group ID of the running pgrep or pkill command. -i Ignore case distinctions in both the process table and the supplied pattern. -l Long output. For pgrep, print the process name in addition to the process ID for each matching process. If used in conjunction with -f, print the process ID and the full argument list for each matching process. For pkill, display the kill command used for each process killed. -n Select only the newest (most recently started) of the matching processes. -o Select only the oldest (least recently started) of the matching processes. -q Do not write anything to standard output. -t tty Restrict matches to processes associated with a terminal in the comma-separated list tty. Terminal names may be of the form ttyxx or the shortened form xx. A single dash ('-') matches processes not associated with a terminal. -u euid Restrict matches to processes with an effective user ID in the comma-separated list euid. -v Reverse the sense of the matching; display processes that do not match the given criteria. -x Require an exact match of the process name, or argument list if -f is given. The default is to match any substring. -signal A non-negative decimal number or symbolic signal name specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. This option is valid only when given as the first argument to pkill. If any pattern operands are specified, they are used as regular expressions to match the command name or full argument list of each process. Note that a running pgrep or pkill process will never consider itself as a potential match. EXIT STATUS
The pgrep and pkill utilities return one of the following values upon exit: 0 One or more processes were matched. 1 No processes were matched. 2 Invalid options were specified on the command line. 3 An internal error occurred. SEE ALSO
kill(1), killall(1), ps(1), flock(2), kill(2), sigaction(2), pidfile(3), re_format(7) HISTORY
The pkill and pgrep utilities first appeared in NetBSD 1.6. They are modelled after utilities of the same name that appeared in Sun Solaris 7. They made their first appearance in FreeBSD 5.3. AUTHORS
Andrew Doran <ad@NetBSD.org> BSD
February 11, 2010 BSD