Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Fedora3 After XP
Operating Systems Linux Fedora3 After XP Post 66922 by duydien on Friday 18th of March 2005 04:22:22 AM
Old 03-18-2005
Fedora3 After XP

Hi, I love Linux and want to add it to my machine. But don't know how. Can anyone help ?

Problem
I have 2 hard disks. On Quantum I got XP running smoothly (and sometimes slowly too Smilie ). Now I want to install Fedora3 on the 2nd hard disk (Fujistu). I need detail instructions as I'm new to Linux.

1) How do I hook up the data cables connecting the IDE slots (there're 2) on motherboard and the hard disks ?

2) Which disk needs to be Master and which is Slave ?

3) Do I need to create a /boot partition in the linux disk ? If so, what should be its size ?

4) What should be the size of /swap partition ?

5) Where should I install GRUB bootloader into, MBR or the /, or /boot partition ?

6) AFter installation, how do I boot into the OS's ???

Please be specific to the point as I don't know much about linux and PC. Those terminologies I picked up when reading articles for similar problems. But those didn't do much good.

Thank you for your help.

Cheers,

dn

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. Linux

Screen on Fedora3

I'm using Fedora3 and Screen when i do that, Scree dont load my Bash profile so my MC, centericq and swedish keyboard is mesed up.. how can i use screen and my bash_profile? or is there another way to fix it? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: snort
0 Replies
CTRLALTDEL(8)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						     CTRLALTDEL(8)

NAME
ctrlaltdel - set the function of the Ctrl-Alt-Del combination SYNOPSIS
ctrlaltdel hard|soft DESCRIPTION
Based on examination of the linux/kernel/sys.c code, it is clear that there are two supported functions that the Ctrl-Alt-Del sequence can perform: a hard reset, which immediately reboots the computer without calling sync(2) and without any other preparation; and a soft reset, which sends the SIGINT (interrupt) signal to the init process (this is always the process with PID 1). If this option is used, the init(8) program must support this feature. Since there are now several init(8) programs in the Linux community, please consult the documentation for the version that you are currently using. ctrlaltdel is usually used in the /etc/rc.local file. FILES
/etc/rc.local SEE ALSO
simpleinit(8), init(8) AUTHOR
Peter Orbaek (poe@daimi.aau.dk) AVAILABILITY
The ctrlaltdel command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. Linux 1.2 25 October 1993 CTRLALTDEL(8)