Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Installing FreeBSD with FAT32 Post 6449 by LivinFree on Wednesday 5th of September 2001 05:52:56 AM
Old 09-05-2001

And yes, reformatting will make all other data on your drive unreadable to you. So backup, re-partition, install your operating systems, and restore from backups. That's the best way to do it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing FreeBSD

Not entirely sure if this belongs here but here it is. I am installing FreeBSD, downloaded the ISO from their website, created the Bootdisk. And when I try to boot, I get this error, 'Panic, Couldn't Inialize. Will not continue without Inialization'. I get the prompt telling me that it will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fmarvez
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing FreeBSD on old system?

I've never had trouble installing freebsd or any linux/unix system on any computer i've tried to do it on. I just recently aquired a Packard Bell, 75mhz Pentium, 482 i believe. Im having difficulty installing it. I have FreeBSD 5.1 on cd and the computer wont even recognize the cd on boot, so it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MadProfessor
2 Replies

3. BSD

installing FreeBSD

hi everybody i'm now downloading FreeBSD using anonymous ftp...the problem i'll encounter is that it seems to be a huge archive.... I want just install it over a 8 G disk....how can i manage this? thanks regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmaiida
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Freebsd

Hi All Hope this is not going to upset you but i really need help. I'm new to Unix (Brand New) have never worked on a unix system before in my life so please bear with me. I'm in the process to install Freebsd but have no idea how to go ahead. The system that i have does not have any cd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stunner
3 Replies

5. BSD

Help with installing Gnome on FreeBSD

Recently, i have installed FreeBSD 5.3 on my computer. I then proceeded to install the latest version of Gnome. I went to the FreeBSD handbook and looked up how to set Gnome as my default window manager, and for some reason it did not work. I was wondering what exactly the command is to do set... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgmyshko
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Opera 8 on FreeBSD

I'm a n00b to UNIX, but I'm making much progress. My preferred browser is Opera, and the ported version with FBSD 5.4 is Opera 7.54. Because I lost my opera key, I'd prefer to have version 8 which does not require a key. How can I install the .tar.gz on FreeBSD? I am somewhat familiar with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DrgnInterrupted
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please help. I have a problem with installing FreeBSD

hi. I am newbie in Unix. I wanted to install Free BSD 5.2.1 to my computer which winXp was already installed. But i couldn't. I chose Standard. Then it said you are going to use dos style fdisk partitioning. Then a window displayed begining like this. WARNING: A geometry of 155127/16/63 for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sualcavab
2 Replies

8. BSD

Installing FreeBSD in VirtualBox

Keeps saying no bootable media found. Works with every other distro. Any ideas? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Swathe
6 Replies

9. BSD

Installing gnome on freebsd

I have a fresh 64-bits install of FreeBSD 8.1 on a machine, but having issues with getting gnome to work. I have followed the guidelines on FreeBSD GNOME Project: GNOME 2.32 FAQ In summary that is: pkg_add -r gnome2 Add gnome_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf After a reboot and logging in, there... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
8 Replies

10. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Installing FreeBSd 8.1?

Hello everybody, I'm really new to Unix(and new here) ,and I'm looking forward to install FreeBSD 8.1 in Virtual Box on the Host - Windows 7.Otherwise in a eternal HDD.My problem is that I tried to find out step by step instruction but failed to find any such set of instructions. I'm in fact a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blackwhite
1 Replies
RA(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							     RA(4)

NAME
ra - MSCP disk controller interface SYNOPSIS
/sys/conf/SYSTEM: NRAC ra_controllers # NRAD controllers NRAD ra_drives # RX33/50, RC25, RD51/52/53/54, RA60/80/81/82 /etc/dtab: #Name Unit# Addr Vector Br Handler(s) # Comments ra ? 172150 154 5 raintr # uda50, rqdx1/2/3 major device number(s): raw: 14 block: 5 minor device encoding: bits 0007 specify partition of RA drive bits 0070 specify RA drive bits 0300 specify RA controller DESCRIPTION
This is a driver for the DEC UDA-50 disk controller and for other compatible controllers. The UDA-50 communicates with the host through a packet oriented protocol termed the Mass Storage Control Protocol (MSCP). Consult the file <pdp/mscp.h> for a detailed description of this protocol. Files with minor device numbers 0 through 7 refer to various portions of drive 0; minor devices 8 through 15 refer to drive 1, etc. The standard device names begin with ``ra'' followed by the drive number and then a letter a-h for partitions 0-7 respectively. The character ? stands here for a drive number in the range 0-7. The block files access the disk via the system's normal buffering mechanism and may be read and written without regard to physical disk records. There is also a `raw' interface which provides for direct transmission between the disk and the user's read or write buffer. A single read or write call results in exactly one I/O operation and therefore raw I/O is considerably more efficient when many words are transmitted. The names of the raw files conventionally begin with an extra `r.' In raw I/O the buffer must begin on a word (even) boundary, and counts should be a multiple of 512 bytes (a disk sector). Likewise seek calls should specify a multiple of 512 bytes. DISK SUPPORT
This driver configures the drive type of each drive when it is first opened. Partition information is read from the disklabel. If there is no label or the label is corrupt then the 'a' partition is used to span the entire drive. The ra?a partition is normally used for the root file system, the ra?b partition as a swap area, and the ra?c partition for pack-pack copy- ing (it maps the entire disk). FILES
/dev/ra[0-7][a-h] /dev/rra[0-7][a-h] /dev/MAKEDEV script to create special files SEE ALSO
hk(4), ram(4), rk(4), rl(4), rp(4), rx(4), si(4), xp(4), dtab(5), autoconfig(8), disklabel(8) DIAGNOSTICS
rasa %o, state %d. (Additional status information given after a hard i/o error.) The values of the UDA-50 status register and the inter- nal driver state are printed. ra%d: interrupt in unknown state %d ignored. An interrupt was received when the driver was in an unknown internal state. Indicates a hardware problem or a driver bug. ra%d: fatal error (%o). The UDA-50 indicated a ``fatal error'' in the status returned to the host. The contents of the status register are displayed. ra%d,%d: OFFLINE. (Additional status information given after a hard i/o error.) A hard i/o error occurred because the drive was not on- line. The attached unit number and the MSCP unit numbers are printed. status %o. (Additional status information given after a hard i/o error.) The status information returned from the UDA-50 is tacked onto the end of the hard error message printed on the console. ra: unknown packet opcode=0%o. An MSCP packet of unknown type was received from the UDA-50. Check the cabling to the controller. The following errors are interpretations of MSCP error messages returned by the UDA-50 to the host. ra: %s error, controller error, event 0%o. ra: %s error, host memory access error, event 0%o, addr 0%o. ra: %s error, disk transfer error, unit %d, grp 0x%x, hdr 0x%x. ra: %s error, SDI error, unit %d, event 0%o, hdr 0x%x. ra: %s error, small disk error, unit %d, event 0%o, cyl %d. ra: %s error, unknown error, unit %d, format 0%o, event 0%o. BUGS
In raw I/O read and write(2) truncate file offsets to 512-byte block boundaries, and write scribbles on the tail of incomplete blocks. Thus, in programs that are likely to access raw devices, read, write and lseek(2) should always deal in 512-byte multiples. 3rd Berkeley Distribution September 6, 1987 RA(4)