Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Need Help on Grep
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need Help on Grep Post 62332 by Aparna_k82 on Tuesday 15th of February 2005 05:40:36 AM
Old 02-15-2005
Need Help on Grep

hi all
i have been trying to search for a table name in all the files in a directory. i gave the following command

find /mydir -type f | xargs grep "search string"

but i am getting an error.
there are some directories which i cannot access in the given path so i am getting error as permission denied , cannot access /mydir/bk ....

is there any way to skip these un accessible folders and get along with the search.

pls help
Thankq
Appu

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

MEM=`ps v $PPID| grep -i db2 | grep -v grep| awk '{ if ( $7 ~ " " ) { print 0 } else

Hi Guys, I need to set the value of $7 to zero in case $7 is NULL. I've tried the below command but doesn't work. Any ideas. thanks guys. MEM=`ps v $PPID| grep -i db2 | grep -v grep| awk '{ if ( $7 ~ " " ) { print 0 } else { print $7}}' ` Harby. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hariza
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

| help | unix | grep - Can I use grep to return a string with exactly n matches?

Hello, I looking to use grep to return a string with exactly n matches. I'm building off this: ls -aLl /bin | grep '^.\{9\}x' | tr -s ' ' -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 632816 Nov 25 2008 vi -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 632816 Nov 25 2008 view -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 16008 May 25 2008... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MykC
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

| help | unix | grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1 | advanced regex syntax

Hello, I'm working on unix with grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1. I'm going through some of the newer regex syntax using Regular Expression Reference - Advanced Syntax a guide. ls -aLl /bin | grep "\(x\)" Which works, just highlights 'x' where ever, when ever. I'm trying to to get (?:) to work but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MykC
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep for certain files using a file as input to grep and then move

Hi All, I need to grep few files which has words like the below in the file name , which i want to put it in a file and and grep for the files which contain these names and move it to a new directory , full file name -C20091210.1000-20091210.1100_SMGBSC3:1000... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anita07
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between grep, egrep & grep -i

Hi All, Please i need to know the difference between grep, egrep & grep -i when used to serach through a file. My platform is SunOS 5.9 & i'm using the korn shell. Regards, - divroro12 - (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: divroro12
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Advanced grep'in... grep for data next to static element.

I have a directory I need to grep which consists of numbered sub directories. The sub directory names change daily. A file resides in this main directory that shows which sub directories are FULL backups or INCREMENTAL backups. My goal is to grep the directory for the word "full" and then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SysAdm2
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK/GREP: grep only lines starting with integer

I have an input file 12.4 1.72849432773174e+01 -7.74784188610632e+01 12.5 9.59432114416327e-01 -7.87018212757537e+01 15.6 5.20139995965960e-01 -5.61612429666624e+01 29.3 3.76696387248366e+00 -7.42896194101892e+01 32.1 1.86899877018077e+01 -7.56508762501408e+01 35 6.98857157014640e+00... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash - CLI - grep - Passing result to grep through pipe

Hello. I want to get all modules which are loaded and which name are exactly 2 characters long and not more than 2 characters and begin with "nv" lsmod | (e)grep '^nv???????????? I want to get all modules which are loaded and which name begin with "nv" and are 2 to 7 characters long ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Piping grep into awk, read the next line using grep

Hi, I have a number of files containing the information below. """"" Fundallinfo 6.3950 14.9715 14.0482 """"" I would like to grep for Fundallinfo and use it to read the next line? I ideally would like to read the three numbers that follow in the next line and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Moghadam
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inconsistent `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l`

i have this line of code that looks for the same file if it is currently running and returns the count. `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l` basically it is assigned to a variable ISRUNNING=`ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
6 Replies
access(2)							System Calls Manual							 access(2)

Name
       access - determine the accessibility of file

Syntax
       #include <unistd.h>
       accessible = access(path, mode)
       int accessible;
       char *path;
       int mode;

Description
       The  system  call,  checks the given file path for accessibility according to mode.  The argument mode is an inclusive OR of the bits R_OK,
       W_OK, and X_OK.	Specifying the argument mode as F_OK tests whether the directories leading to the file can be  searched  and  whether  the
       file exists.

The  real  user	ID and the group access list (including the real group ID) are used to verify permissions.  This call is useful to set-UID
       programs.

Note that only access bits are checked.	The call may indicate that a directory is writeable, but an attempt to open the  directory  fails,
       although files are present in the directory.  Additionally, a file may appear to be executable, but fails unless the file is in proper for-
       mat.

If a path cannot be found, or if the desired access modes are not granted, a -1 value is returned; otherwise, a 0 value is returned.

Diagnostics
       Access to the file is denied if any of the following is true:

[EACCES]       Permission bits of the file mode do not permit the requested access or search permission is denied on  a	component  of  the
		      path  prefix.   The  owner  of a file has permission checked with respect to the owner's read, write, and execute mode bits.
		      Members of the file's group, other than the owner, have permission checked with respect to the group's mode bits.  All  oth-
		      ers have permissions checked with respect to the other mode bits.

[EFAULT]       The path points outside the process's allocated address space.

[EIO]	      An I/O error occurred while reading from or writing to the file system.

[ELOOP]	      Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the pathname.

[ENAMETOOLONG] A path component length exceeds 255 characters or the length of path exceeds 1023 characters.

[ENOENT]       The  file  referred  to by path does not exist or the path points to an empty string and the environment defined is POSIX or
		      SYSTEM_FIVE.

[ENOTDIR]      A component of the path prefix is not a directory.

[EROFS]	      Write access is requested for a file on a read-only file system.

[ESTALE]       The file handle given in the argument was invalid.  The file referred to by that file handle no longer exists  or  has  been
		      revoked.

[ETIMEDOUT]    A  connect  request or remote file operation fails because the connected party did not respond after a period of time deter-
		      mined by the communications protocol.

[ETXTBSY]      Write access is requested for a pure procedure (shared text) file that is being executed.

See Also
       chmod(2), stat(2)

access(2)