Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users FTP Between UNIX & Windows drops leading blanks Post 62247 by worf52 on Monday 14th of February 2005 12:51:34 PM
Old 02-14-2005
Generally I am just using an mput * from a script because there could be one or 100 files. I did try and use a put with the name in quotes but windows still stripped the leading blanks. A windows support person here told me that it will strip leading blanks and that I might be able to escape the blanks to preserve them but he could not remember what that escape sequence was.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

UNIX OS & Windows XP

Hello, Can someone please tell me if it is possible to install a Unix Os on a system that already has a Windows XP? If so, how do i go about it doing it?: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ike
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

excel drops leading zeros while attaching through unix

HEllo All, when the data file is being attached and mailed as file1.csv, the column data( e.g: 88E00, 99E00, 77F12, 66H18). The data 88E00 and 99E00 is being converted to 88E+01, 99E+01. All other data is fine. I need the file attached as .csv from unix only. Is there a way we can manage... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: OSD
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp from windows to unix using a perl script on unix machine

i need to ftp a file from windows to a unix machine by executing a sript(perl/shell/php) from that unix machine.i can also use HTML and javascript to build forms. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raksha.s
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP thru Unix doesn't auth usrname & pswd, but Windows app does - why?!

Strange one this... One of our contacts switched FTP servers, a different IP and now using port 2121 instead of 21. Changed the details in a Windows application using the username & password provided and it works no problem. Tried to FTP through Unix and although I can connect to the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: macca74
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP Windows to Unix

Hi, I am trying to run the following in a bat file. It works fine as stand alone commands ]ftp.exe<linux box> <user> <password> ascii delete PRICES.TXT lcd "C:\Documents and Settings\PCLE12661\Mes documents\Emulation\Dax Prices" cd /home/dsdev/other/in put PRICES.TXT bye pause ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: clarcombe
2 Replies

6. AIX

Do I need to configure my local windows to FTP files from local windows to a UNIX AIX server?

Hi Friends, I have this script for ftping files from AIX server to local windows xp. #!/bin/sh HOST='localsystem.net' USER='myid_onlocal' PASSWD='mypwd_onlocal' FILE='file.txt' ##This is a file on server(AIX) ftp -n $HOST <<END_SCRIPT quote USER $USER quote PASS $PASSWD put $FILE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajsharma
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX script to FTP file from UNIX server to windows

Hi, I am new to this subject.....Can someone please help me out with the script... unix usernm "sdhftst" unix pwd "chsd13" windows usernm "dfghtst" windows pwd "chsd13" path..../xxx/xxxxx/xxxxxx/xxxxxxx please can u get me a script...its only one file to get ftp. Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: himakiran9
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP from windows to unix server using unix shell script

Hi, Is it possible to ftp a huge zip file from windows to unix server using unix shell scripting? If so what command i need to use. thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shri123
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clearing leading and trailing blanks from a string in C Shell

Does anyone know of a way with C Shell that will work on both Linux and Sun to clear all leading and trailing blanks from a previously specified string? I am using the following code to replace blanks with underscores: set Company = `echo $Company | sed 's/ /_/g but I don't want any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phudgens
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Leading blanks

Hi Ich have a list as follows 73 5 100 45 81 4 and I would like to have an output (on screen) like that 73 5 100 45 81 4 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lazybaer
6 Replies
UNEXPAND(1)                                                        User Commands                                                       UNEXPAND(1)

NAME
unexpand - convert spaces to tabs SYNOPSIS
unexpand [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Convert blanks in each FILE to tabs, writing to standard output. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -a, --all convert all blanks, instead of just initial blanks --first-only convert only leading sequences of blanks (overrides -a) -t, --tabs=N have tabs N characters apart instead of 8 (enables -a) -t, --tabs=LIST use comma separated list of tab positions The last specified position can be prefixed with '/' to specify a tab size to use after the last explicitly specified tab stop. Also a prefix of '+' can be used to align remaining tab stops relative to the last speci- fied tab stop instead of the first column --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report unexpand translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
expand(1) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/unexpand> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) unexpand invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 UNEXPAND(1)