Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? What if we end up being the bad aliens? Post 62034 by Neo on Thursday 10th of February 2005 04:37:39 PM
Old 02-10-2005
Yes, if the universe does indeed end in "a big crunch" (as some theory suggests), there will be surely be "desire" to escape certain death - but that scenario is so long into the future that humans, as we know and understand them, will have long ceased to exist...

For example, if you examine the world via the eyes of information theory (entropy and the third law of thermodynamics) and the fact that the universe is becoming "more organized," and the accepted fact that in the not-do-distant future that machines will have much greater cognitive abilities that human brains -- the need for "biological bodies" may be less important, and one could venture to say; and then all the "accumulated knowledge" could be "pushed" (sent, mailed, shot, passed, etc.) into "passages" to other universes, if there are indeed more than one and a way to go between them.

There is so much transfomation of "life" that we can only speculate, out of total ignorance, what "life" will be like 10 billion years. "Life" could simply be energy traveling in the universe..... and the need and desire to "live" may not exist, as we know it today in our current biological, carbon based, housing for our minds.

In all honesty, I have no idea......

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script to search a bad record in a file then put the record in the bad file

I need to write a script that can find a bad record (for example: there is date field colom but value provided in the file for this field is N/A) then script shoud searches this pattern and then insert the whole record into the bad file. Example: File1 Name designation dateOfJoining... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shilendrajadon
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to search a bad record in a file then put the record in the bad file

I need to write a script that can find a bad record (for example: there is date field colom but value provided in the file for this field is N/A) then script shoud searches this pattern and then insert the whole record into the bad file. Example: File1 Name designation dateOfJoining... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shilendrajadon
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

Looking for an end-to-end network diagnostic utility...

I am looking for a utility (Windows/Linux/Mac) that will allow me to run some test packets across a customer's network (between their client & my server) to identify a list of (or at least a guess of) all protocols and significant network settings that could adversely effect my systems performance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jjinno
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need UNIX shell scripting end to end information

Hi, I would like to learn shell scripting in UNIX. Can any one please give me the support and share the information/documents with me. If any documents please post it to aswanikumar_nimmagadda@yahoo.co.in Thanks in advance...!!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aswani_n
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add end of char \n on end of file

Hi, I want to add \n as a EOF at the end of file if it does't exist in a single command. How to do this? when I use command echo "1\n" > a.txt and od -c a.txt 0000000 1 \n \n 0000003 How does it differentiate \n and eof in this case? Regards, Venkat (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: svenkatareddy
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of Begin IF ,END IF END not working in the sql script

Hi I have written a script .The script runs properly if i write sql queries .But if i use PLSQL commands of BEGIN if end if , end ,then on running the script the comamds are getting printed on the prompt . Ex :temp.sql After connecting to the databse at the sql prompt i type... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: isha_1
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why I get bad bad substitution when using eval?

Why I get bad replace when using eval? $ map0=( "0" "0000" "0") $ i=0 $ eval echo \${map$i} 0000 $ a=`eval echo \${map$i}` !!!error happens!!! bash: ${map$i}: bad substitution How to resolve it ? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Test program running taking much more time on high end server T5440 than low end server T5220

Hi all, I have written the following program and run on both T5440 and T5220 on same OS version. I found that T5540 server takes more time than T5220. Please find below the details. test1.cpp #include <iostream> #include <pthread.h> using namespace std; #define NUM_OF_THREADS 20... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay_singh85
17 Replies
LAMGROW(1)							   LAM COMMANDS 							LAMGROW(1)

NAME
lamgrow - Extend a LAM multicomputer. SYNOPSIS
lamgrow [-hvd] [-cpu num] [-n nodeid] [-no-schedule] [-ssi key value] hostname OPTIONS
-cpu num Indicate how many CPUs are available to LAM on the new node. -d Turn on debugging output. This implies -v. -h Print useful information on this command. -n nodeid Assign this ID to the new node. -no-schedule Indicate that C and N expansion in mpirun and lamexec should not schedule on this node. -ssi key value Send arguments to various SSI modules. See the "SSI" section, below. -v Be verbose. hostname Extend LAM with this host. DESCRIPTION
An existing LAM universe, initiated by lamboot(1), can be enlarged to include more nodes with lamgrow. One new node is added for each in- vocation. At a minimum, the host name that will run the new node is given on the command line. If a different userid is required to ac- cess the host, it is specified with the appropriate boot SSI options (see lamssi_boot(7)). The new node can be assigned any unused, non-negative identifier. If no identifier is specified, the highest node identifier in the cur- rent LAM universe plus one is used. Note that lamboot(1) always assigns node identifiers consecutively from 0. lamgrow can be run from any node in the current LAM universe. Specifically -- it cannot be run from the intended new host. Two invoca- tions of lamgrow should not run concurrently, and the command attempts to detect this situation. The name of the host specified in lamgrow should not be the one which is already present in the user's LAM universe and the command attempts to detect this situation too. Resource managers will be the most common user of lamgrow. When hosts become idle and a user has expressed a desire to the manager that extra cycles should be exploited, the manager could invoke lamgrow and then launch the specified application process(es) on the new node. EXAMPLES
lamgrow -v newhost Start LAM on newhost and add it to the existing LAM universe. Choose the next available node identifier and report about important steps as they are done. lamgrow -n 30 newhost Start LAM on newhost with node ID 30 and add it to the existing LAM universe. Operate silently. FILES
laminstalldir/etc/lam-conf.lamd default configuration file for LAM nodes, where "laminstalldir" is the directory where LAM/MPI was in- stalled. BUGS
It is not currently possible to specify a configuration file other than lam-conf.lamd on the remote node, even though this is possible with lamboot. SEE ALSO
lamboot(1), lamhalt(1), hboot(1), lamwipe(1), tkill(1), bhost(5), conf(5), lamssi_boot(7) LAM 7.1.4 July, 2007 LAMGROW(1)