Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sorting lines
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sorting lines Post 61928 by kion on Wednesday 9th of February 2005 09:43:01 PM
Old 02-09-2005
Question sorting lines

i have another question..

i have this file:

John Jones
John Smith
Jack Smith
100100 13
Helen Bold
100200 5

how can i use sort to make it look like :

Helen Bold
John Jones
Jack Smith
John Smith
100100 13
100200 5

Surname as the major key ,firstname as the minor key and numbers at the
end.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Horizontal sorting of lines in a File: SED implementation?

Hi guys, Do you know how can I sort a file horizontally per line??? sample input file: zebra papa dog apple yahoo kangaroo ape sample output: apple dog papa zebra ape kangaroo yahoo Please post if u know the sed implementation of this (or whatever implementation u may know of)... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: marlonus999
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count lines - ignoring blank lines and commented lines

What is the command to count lines in a files, but ignore blank lines and commented lines? I have a file with 4 sections in it, and I want each section to be counted, not including the blank lines and comments... and then totalled at the end. Here is an example of what I would like my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kthatch
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need immediate help with sorting!!!

hey, I have a file that looks smthng like this: /*--- abcd_0050 ---*/ asdfjk adsfkja lkjljgafsd /*---abcd_0005 ---*/ lkjkljbfkgj ldfksjgf dfkgfjb /*-- abcd_0055--*/ klhfdghd dflkjgd jfdg I would like it to be sorted so that it looks like this: /*---abcd_0005 ---*/ lkjkljbfkgj (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasuke_uchiha
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting HELP

Hi, I have posted related topic but as i continue the research I find more need to sort the data. AS(2607:f278:4101:11:dead:beef:f00f:f), AS786 AS6453 AS7575 AS7922 AS(2607:f2e0:f:1db::16), AS786 AS3257 AS36252 AS786 AS3257 AS36252 AS(2607:f2f8:1700::2), AS786 AS6939 AS25795 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam127
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting

Hii guys, I need to sort my file and remove duplicates before writing to another file. The first line in the file are column names. I dont want this line to be sorted and should always be the first line in the output. sort -u file.txt > file1.txt. is the command that i am using... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: just4u_sharath
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting based on alternative lines

Hello, I have a file with multiple entries. @SFGF-GA2-1_58:5:36:11009:999#0/1 NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN +SFGF-GA2-1_58:5:36:11009:999#0/1 ################################################################################... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting lines based on keywords for MySQL script

the thing which i require is very very complex.. i tried hard to find the solution but couldnt.. the thing i need to achieve is say i have a file cat delta.sql CREATE VIEW Austin Etc etc . . . CREATE VIEW Barabara AS SELECT blah blah blah FROM Austin z, Cluster s, Instance i WHERE... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help sorting with du

Hi! As a part of a larger script I'm using the comand du -k to get the sizes of various directories, the output is printed like this: 1324 ./images/backup/2012 1333 ./images/backup 1400 ./images 22 ./video/backup 44 ./video 1450 . I'm trying to print it the other way around with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tralaraloro
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting lines between patterns in alphabetical order

Hi, need help in sorting lines between strings "<section status = “ole-service”>" and "</section>" in alphabetical order, based on the text in red. Hoping for an AWK or SED solution. Thank you. ... <section status = “ole-service”>... <p service = "OOO">XZZ</p> <p service = "AAA">AAA... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pioavi
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting block of lines based on specified strings

Below is the part of contents of a file cat outputFile.txt :APP-MS-service_monitoring-118054-DiskFilling-S Description=Disk is getting filled. If Condition=If Event/Log Level(ANY) and matching substring &quot;DiskFilling&quot; Log: xx.x.x..xx.: 4 days 1:33:54.42 Date and time=03-18-2013... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies
whois(1)							   User Commands							  whois(1)

NAME
whois - Internet user name directory service SYNOPSIS
whois [-h host] identifier DESCRIPTION
whois searches for an Internet directory entry for an identifier which is either a name (such as ``Smith'') or a handle (such as ``SRI- NIC''). To force a name-only search, precede the name with a period; to force a handle-only search, precede the handle with an exclamation point. To search for a group or organization entry, precede the argument with * (an asterisk). The entire membership list of the group will be displayed with the record. You may of course use an exclamation point and asterisk, or a period and asterisk together. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Using The whois Command The command: example% whois Smith looks for the name or handle SMITH. The command: example% whois !SRI-NIC looks for the handle SRI-NIC only. The command: example% whois .Smith, John looks for the name JOHN SMITH only. Adding ... to the name or handle argument will match anything from that point; that is, ZU ... will match ZUL, ZUM, and so on. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWrcmdc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 6 Nov 2000 whois(1)