Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting using getopt with a switch statement Post 61767 by thumsup9 on Tuesday 8th of February 2005 02:30:37 PM
Old 02-08-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perderabo
set - 'getopt frd*: $*'
is wrong. You need a double hyphen:
set -- 'getopt frd*: $*'
Exactly, change it to double hyphen.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopt help

scriptname i have made a script to perform so tasks and i managed to complete the tasks for all the options the problem i am facing is that i can run the scripts individually but i would like to make it such that it can accept multiple options and give me the appropriate output e.g.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: problems
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopt help

I m trying to use getopt This is my script, but it doesn't take argument in variable, Please help. set - - `getopt mscl: $*` if then echo "Exiting...." exit 2 fi for i in $* do case $i in -m) MAIL="$i"; shift;; -s) SCRIPT=$OPTARG; shift;; -c) COB=$OPTARG; shift;;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darshakraut
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with getopt

Hi, I want to use the getopt function to parse some arguments for a script. while getopts "i:f:r:" OPTION do case $OPTION in i) iter=$OPTARG;; f) frame=$OPTARG;; r) roi=$OPTARG;; ?) echo Usage: ...... exit 2;; esac done However, I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: giorgos193
5 Replies

4. Programming

Comapilation error with Switch statement

Hello , How to resolve below compilation error.activity_type is a member of structure and the output from databse will be stored in structure.Expected output wil l be either D or N or C . sample struct format: struct a{ char acAtivity_type; } code: switch (a->activity_type)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagan_kalluri
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tcl switch statement

I am just learning Tcl and there are few things about it that is perplexing me. I have a question about the switch statement. Why are these two switch statements giving me different results? $ cat test_switch.tcl #!/usr/bin/tcl set foo "abc" switch abc a - b {puts "No. 1"} $foo {puts... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SFNYC
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to access console of a switch having rj45 on switch side to db 9 female on pc side console cable

hi, how to access console of a switch having rj45 on switch side to db 9 female on pc side console cable which needs to be connected to one console server having rj11 on its side and db 9 female on other end.i.e. on switch side,console cable has rj45 and db 9 pin female connector on other side of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pankajd
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Something is wrong with this switch( case statement.

I started writing a script to save the files from a camera I got the other day, which mounts in /Volumes , and I got into it and started building this menu. The only problem is that the switch case is coming up as a syntax error at the parenthesis after a case. Here is the code: while : do ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snakemasterAK
2 Replies

8. Programming

Passing arguments from command line to switch case statement in C

Hi Am pretty new to C.. Am trying to pass the arguments from command line and use them in switch case statement.. i have tried the following #include <stdlib.h> main(int argc, char* argv) { int num=0; if ( argc == 2 ) num = argv; printf("%d is the num value",num); switch ( num ) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getopt Help

Hi All, An old work friend wrote a script which I've been trying to understand how a section of it currently works and work out how i can add some command line switches which i can use later in the script to append the output depending on the command line arguements. Currently it works by... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mutley2202
1 Replies

10. Programming

Missing Logic Looping Through Switch Statement

Having trouble with the logic when looping over this switch case again: for (j = 0; data != 0; j++){ switch(data){ case 'c': output = ranit(r_brace_array); break; case 'h': output = ranit(pipe_array); break; ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
6 Replies
GETOPT(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 GETOPT(3)

NAME
getopt - get option letter from argv SYNOPSIS
int getopt(argc, argv, optstring) int argc; char **argv; char *optstring; extern char *optarg; extern int optind; DESCRIPTION
Getopt returns the next option letter in argv that matches a letter in optstring. Optstring is a string of recognized option letters; if a letter is followed by a colon, the option is expected to have an argument that may or may not be separated from it by white space. Optarg is set to point to the start of the option argument on return from getopt. Getopt places in optind the argv index of the next argument to be processed. Because optind is external, it is normally initialized to zero automatically before the first call to getopt. When all options have been processed (i.e., up to the first non-option argument), getopt returns EOF. The special option -- may be used to delimit the end of the options; EOF will be returned, and -- will be skipped. DIAGNOSTICS
Getopt prints an error message on stderr and returns a question mark (?) when it encounters an option letter not included in optstring. EXAMPLE
The following code fragment shows how one might process the arguments for a command that can take the mutually exclusive options a and b, and the options f and o, both of which require arguments: main(argc, argv) int argc; char **argv; { int c; extern int optind; extern char *optarg; . . . while ((c = getopt(argc, argv, "abf:o:")) != EOF) switch (c) { case `a': if (bflg) errflg++; else aflg++; break; case `b': if (aflg) errflg++; else bproc(); break; case `f': ifile = optarg; break; case `o': ofile = optarg; break; case `?': default: errflg++; break; } if (errflg) { fprintf(stderr, "Usage: ..."); exit(2); } for (; optind < argc; optind++) { . . . } . . . } HISTORY
Written by Henry Spencer, working from a Bell Labs manual page. Modified by Keith Bostic to behave more like the System V version. BUGS
It is not obvious how `-' standing alone should be treated; this version treats it as a non-option argument, which is not always right. Option arguments are allowed to begin with `-'; this is reasonable but reduces the amount of error checking possible. Getopt is quite flexible but the obvious price must be paid: there is much it could do that it doesn't, like checking mutually exclusive options, checking type of option arguments, etc. 4.3 Berkeley Distribution May 27, 1986 GETOPT(3)