Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Error updating profile
Contact Us Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators Error updating profile Post 60543 by woofie on Tuesday 18th of January 2005 03:53:45 PM
Old 01-18-2005
Thanks for that Neo.

I'm just waiting until my DSL gets connected then i'll be off the hotmail account Smilie

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Updating Profile from script

I am trying to figure a way to update an environmental variable in my .profile from script. I have a variable name CON_DIR in my .profile. I want to be able to update this variable directly via another unix script. Any ideas? Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: artfuldodger
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem in updating .profile file in HP-UX B.11.00 machine

Hello All, I am using a HP-UX machine and I want to update the .profile file so that after login to my userID that will be applicable to my ID also. What I am trying to do is : In .profile file I am trying to write in /home/userID folder: export PATH=$PATH:$HOME:. so that whenever I will... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhishek0071
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk updating one file with another, comparing, updating

Hello, I read and search through this wonderful forum and tried different approaches but it seems I lack some knowledge and neurones ^^ Here is what I'm trying to achieve : file1: test filea 3495; test fileb 4578; test filec 7689; test filey 9978; test filez 12300; file2: test filea... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mecano
11 Replies

4. Solaris

Error updating Firmware in X4500

I have X4500 machine with solaris 10 OS and software version 5.10. The firmware version is 1.1.1 and I am planning to upgrade the firmware. C H A P T E R 1 - Flash Upgrading Your Server to Software Release 1.2 I referred to the above link to do so. But, I do not understand what is the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharu_sri
6 Replies

5. Ubuntu

ubuntu error message when updating

whenever I chck for an update I get the following error message: W:Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/cheleb/blender-svn/ubuntu/dists/precise/main/source/Sources 404 Not Found , W:Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/cheleb/blender-svn/ubuntu/dists/precise/main/binary-amd64/Packages ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: programAngel
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Error while updating the crontab

When I update the crontab, I get error message. Any idea? 0 0-23 * * * /usr/local/scripts/monitor.sh > /dev/null ( BEFORE) */5 * * * * /usr/local/scripts/monitor.sh > /dev/null (Now) it doesn't allow me to save the work. Error message... crontab: */5 * * * *... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
3 Replies

7. HP-UX

/etc/profile error

Hi Please can you help me in solving the following error as I am logging in with any user, on my HP-UX system. The error is /etc/profile: Syntax error: `then' is not matched. I have looked into /etc/profileline 125, but I dont see anything wrong. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
7 Replies
profile(4)							   File Formats 							profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.11 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)