Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Substitution of last command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Substitution of last command Post 60390 by ghazi on Sunday 16th of January 2005 04:12:41 PM
Old 01-16-2005
Substitution of last command

"Is there any substituation of last command or script syntax which can be used as a user. As far I know the "last" command is being used to display information about previous logins. A member of adm group or the user adm can execute it only.

Thanks in advance for your usual help.

Ghazi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

complex command substitution

hi, I have to execute this line below from within a shell script; simply backquoting it is not doing the trick; it is mangling up all the options; but when i type it out on a command line, it executes cleanly. Please help me in getting this right; $ vlc -I dummy --sout='#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: spopuri
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between "Command substitution" and "Process substitution"

Hi, What is the actual difference between these two? Why the following code works for process substitution and fails for command substitution? while IFS= read -r line; do echo $line; done < <(cat file)executes successfully and display the contents of the file But, while IFS='\n' read -r... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command substitution within an echo

I'm trying to get this to work and I'm not really sure how to do it. echo $x | awk '{print $NF}' MODIFIEDThe output I'm trying to get should look like: dir1 MODIFIED Where dir1 will be the result of: $x |awk '{print $NF}'I'm sure there's something I'm supposed to put around that part... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ewoods
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed insert command and variable expansion/command substitution

I know this script is crummy, but I was just messing around.. how do I get sed's insert command to allow variable expansion to show the filename? #!/bin/bash filename=`echo $0` /usr/bin/sed '/#include/ { i\ the filename is `$filename` }' $1 exit 0 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read command - using output from command substitution

Hey, guys! Trying to research this is such a pain since the read command itself is a common word. Try searching "unix OR linux read command examples" or using the command substitution keyword. :eek: So, I wanted to use a command statement similar to the following. This is kinda taken... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ProGrammar
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeating Substitution Command on VI

Hello Folks, how to write a command on vi that allow to repeat last substitution command? Here what I want to do : 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 :.,+2s/\n/ /And I obtain : 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogol_bordello
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with command substitution in C program

Hi, I want to know if there's a cleaner way for assigning output of a unix command to a variable in C program . Example : I execute dirname fname and want the output to be assigned to a variable dname . Is it possible . I knew u can redirect the output to a file and then reread assigning... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalbull
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command substitution in echo

a=1 b1=unix echo $b`$a` The above code is not working. Instead of printing the variable b1 using 'echo $b1', how to use variable 'a' to print 'b1' (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitution within string command

I have the following code: strfuture=abcdefghi ver=${strfuture:${count}:1} mj7777_ver=${ver} start_mj7777_iteration let count=count+1 When it is executed I get bad substitution. The same if I use ver=${strfuture:$count:1} mj7777_ver=${ver}... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bruble
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding command substitution

Oracle Linux 5.6, 64-bit Given the following snippet wrkvar=`sqlplus -s / as sysdba <<EOF set echo off feedback off head off trimsp on select count(*) from v\$parameter where name in ('db_file_name_convert','log_file_name_convert') and value is not null; EOF` echo wrkvar=$wrkvarProduces... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
2 Replies
logins(1M)						  System Administration Commands						logins(1M)

NAME
logins - list user and system login information SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/logins [-admopstux] [-g group...] [-l login_name...] DESCRIPTION
This command displays information on user and system logins known to the system. Contents of the output is controlled by the command options and can include the following: user or system login, user id number, passwd account field value (user name or other information), primary group name, primary group id, multiple group names, multiple group ids, home directory, login shell, and four password aging param- eters. The default information is the following: login id, user id, primary group name, primary group id and the account field value. Out- put is sorted by user id, system logins, followed by user logins. OPTIONS
Options may be used together. If so, any login that matches any criteria are displayed. The following options are supported: -a Add two password expiration fields to the display. The fields show how many days a password can remain unused before it automatically becomes inactive, and the date that the password expires. -d Selects logins with duplicate uids. -g group Selects all users belonging to group, sorted by login. Multiple groups can be specified as a comma-separated list. When the -l and -g options are combined, a user is only listed once, even if the user belongs to more than one of the selected groups. -l login_name...Selects the requested login. Multiple logins can be specified as a comma-separated list. Depending on the nameservice lookup types set in /etc/nsswitch.conf, the information can come from the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files and other nameservices. When the -l and -g options are combined, a user is only listed once, even if the user belongs to more than one of the selected groups. -m Displays multiple group membership information. -o Formats output into one line of colon-separated fields. -p Selects logins with no passwords. -s Selects all system logins. -t Sorts output by login instead of by uid. -u Selects all user logins. -x Prints an extended set of information about each selected user. The extended information includes home directory, login shell and password aging information, each displayed on a separate line. The password information consists of password status (PS for password, NP for no password or LK for locked). If the login is passworded, status is followed by the date the password was last changed, the number of days required between changes, and the number of days allowed before a change is required. The password aging information shows the time interval that the user receives a password expiration warning message (when logging on) before the password expires. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Jul 1990 logins(1M)