Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Command output to a variable. Post 59248 by zazzybob on Tuesday 14th of December 2004 06:34:08 PM
Old 12-14-2004
What exactly is this line
Code:
var=`awk <"$1""myfile" '{print substr($0,$start,$len)}'`

supposed to be achieving?

Without knowing exactly what your problem is, something like
Code:
var=`awk -vs=$start -vl=$length '{print substr($0,s,l)}' filename`

may be more appropriate.

Cheers
ZB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning output of command to a variable

Hi, I'm trying to assign the output of a command to a variable and then concat it with another string, however, it keeps overwriting the original string instead of adding on to the end of the string. Contents of test.txt --> This is a test var1="`head -n 1 test.txt`" echo $var1 (This is a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oma04
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls command output to variable in script

Hi, I wrote a script to get the oldest file from a directory path (which is passed as a parameter to the script) ######################################################### XMLFILE_PATH={$1} cd $XMLFILE_PATH JPM_FILENAME = `(ls -tr User* | head -1)` #echo $JPM_FILENAME ###### END... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsrookie
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

get characters from output of a command in a variable

Hi, i have two questions, I am new to programming 1. I have an output of a command and i want to get some specific part of it in a variable. i am trying sr=`some comand xyz| grep 'Last Changed Rev:' | cut -c19-` now variable sr gets a end of line character at end. output of the command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: muaz
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning output of a command to variable

When I run time -p <command>, it outputs: real X.XX user X.XX sys X.XXwhere X.XX is seconds. How I can take just that first number output, the seconds of real time, and assign that to a variable? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeriryan87
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

saving command output to a variable

Hello, I have a shell script containing a command string in the following format: command1 | command2 | cut -c9-16 The output from this is a record number (using characters 9-16 of the original output string) e.g. ORD-1234 I wish to save this value to a variable for use in later commands... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: philjo
4 Replies

6. Programming

Command output into a variable

Hi, with this command: cu -l /dev/ttyACM0 -s 9600 > name.txt I put the output of the port in a txt Is posible to do the same (or similar) in a var directly, inside a C program? cu -l /dev/ttyACM0 -s 9600 > variable ? I have trying this withs pipes, but i dont know how to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: daaran
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

set variable to command output

I'm hoping you guys can help me out here. I've been trying different methods to try and get what IW as hoping would be a fairly simple script but has turned into a pain. Bit of background - I am writing a script to check values in certain failes to ensure they are corerct. I'm runnign this on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stuc
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ls output into a read command as a variable

I'm working on a short BASH script on my Ubuntu box that will run powerpoint scripts with MS Powerpoint Viewer 2007 via WINE. I can run the presentation when I run it manually but what i'd like to do is have the script look for the newest file then run it. #! /bin/sh # Start the newest... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: binary-ninja
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output of find command to variable?

Hi, I'd like to assign the output of the find command to a variable. What I need is to run the find command, and if it returns zero files, the program exits. so i'm trying to assign the output of the find command to the $var1 variable....and then if this is less than one, I echo a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: horhif
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the output of a ISQL command in a variable?

I am trying to run a query which returns a sum value(a number). I want to get it in a variable so that i can refer to that variable in different places. when i am running the following command variable=`isql -Uuser -Sserver -Ppassword 1> select sum(count(*)) from xyz..abc where clm_id... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharma331
2 Replies
cut(1)								   User Commands							    cut(1)

NAME
cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file]... cut -c list [file]... cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file]... DESCRIPTION
Use the cut utility to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file; in data base parlance, it implements the projection of a relation. The fields as specified by list can be fixed length, that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option) or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a field delimiter character like TAB (-f option). cut can be used as a filter. Either the -b, -c, or -f option must be specified. Use grep(1) to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or paste(1) to put files together column-wise (that is, horizontally). To reorder columns in a table, use cut and paste. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: list A comma-separated or blank-character-separated list of integer field numbers (in increasing order), with optional - to indi- cate ranges (for instance, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10); or 3- (short for third through last field)). -b list The list following -b specifies byte positions (for instance, -b1-72 would pass the first 72 bytes of each line). When -b and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -c list The list following -c specifies character positions (for instance, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line). -d delim The character following -d is the field delimiter (-f option only). Default is tab. Space or other characters with special meaning to the shell must be quoted. delim can be a multi-byte character. -f list The list following -f is a list of fields assumed to be separated in the file by a delimiter character (see -d ); for instance, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only. Lines with no field delimiters will be passed through intact (useful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified. -n Do not split characters. When -b list and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -s Suppresses lines with no delimiter characters in case of -f option. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters will be passed through untouched. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file A path name of an input file. If no file operands are specified, or if a file operand is -, the standard input will be used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of cut when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte (2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Mapping user IDs A mapping of user IDs to names follows: example% cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd Example 2 Setting current login name To set name to current login name: example$ name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d' '` ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of cut: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were output successfully. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
grep(1), paste(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
cut: -n may only be used with -b cut: -d may only be used with -f cut: -s may only be used with -f cut: cannot open <file> Either file cannot be read or does not exist. If multiple files are present, processing continues. cut: no delimiter specified Missing delim on -d option. cut: invalid delimiter cut: no list specified Missing list on -b, -c, or -f option. cut: invalid range specifier cut: too many ranges specified cut: range must be increasing cut: invalid character in range cut: internal error processing input cut: invalid multibyte character cut: unable to allocate enough memory SunOS 5.11 29 Apr 1999 cut(1)