Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users AIX server performance problem! Post 58745 by TioTony on Tuesday 30th of November 2004 11:48:47 PM
Old 12-01-2004
Are you out of memory or swap? Here are some commands that may help: lsps, sar. topas, iostat, vmstat. The SAN disk would show up as an iostat or %wait in topas issue and not a network issue.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Network performance problem between AIX and SUN ethernet gigabit

I am posting this as an FYI. I burned a lot of time on digging for this solution. The problem was performance between newer AIX p series boxes and a sun 4500 with a fiber nic. I tried many misc. solutions but this turned out to fix the issue. My bandwidth benchmark went from around 20MB/sec to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chuckw
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX performance

Hiya all, I am a newbie sysadmin to AIX, i have worked on HPUX for 3 years. I have started a new role with in an IBM house and because there is me and one other there are a couple of issues I cannot work out: We havehad a production server slowing down processing batch jbs over the past... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chlawren
6 Replies

3. AIX

Problem in SSH Install in AIX 4.3 Server.

Hi Friends I am trying to install ssh in one of my AIX4.3 server. I downloaded openssh and openssl from IBM site. While installing them openssh failed. The lpcheck command display looks like this: # lppchk -v lppchk: The following filesets need to be installed or corrected to bring ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: efunds
5 Replies

4. Programming

send mail performance problem in AIX

Hi All, Our application is designed to send the emails. we use standard C lib to send the mails using send() function. This works fine on Solaris,HP UX and windows, but on AIX the performance is very slow. it takes around 32 sec to send a simple mail whereas in Solaris 2-3 sec. I would like to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrihari_s
2 Replies

5. AIX

Transferring files from one AIX server to another AIX server in binary mode

Hi, I am a newbie to AIX. We have 2 AIX5.3 servers in our environment, I need to transfer some files in Binary mode from one server to another and some files in ASCII mode from one server to another server. Could you please help me as to how I need to do that? Thanks, Rakesh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshc.apps
4 Replies

6. AIX

AIX performance issue

Hi Guys, This is the situation I am in. Provide your views and input where should I start? I have one P7 test server and a p520 production server. the job is taking pretty long on the P7 test server when compared to the P5 production server. below is the full detail. Informix... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ithinksgreen
5 Replies

7. AIX

Need some help for AIX performance monitoring

Hello I am new user of AIX; I have only basic knowledge of the UNIX commands, and I want to create script that will monitor the performance and resources usage on AIX 6.1 machine. Basically I wan to start a loop that will grab, every 10 seconds, the CPU usage, the memory usage, the disk usage,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adaher
1 Replies

8. AIX

Virtual I/O server Problem (before Installing AIX 7.1)

Hello people, I'm facing some problems Installing AIX in my Power server 720 Well, to tell the truth my problem is in Virtual I/O (IVM) installation. OBSERVE THAT I DON'T HAVE A HMC! By the way: I have the latest server Firmware! I've done all the process in ASMI, then inserted and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xscaio
1 Replies

9. AIX

Newbie - AIX LPAR performance problem

Running into performance issues with WAS application servers on two of LPAR's or like configuration under high load web pages crawl. Please forgive me I'm new to AIX and most my expertise is in the Linux space. Thanks for your help!! Here's the run down: The problem appears to be CPU... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: margeson
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with While Loop in AIX Server

Hello, I am trying to run the following Script on AIX Server. The script checks if first field is EFFECTIVE_TIME , if it is then it converts second field in readable format else it redirects entire line to $MAIL. Both the mentioned files exists prior to running the script #!/bin/ksh... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
10 Replies
IOSTAT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 IOSTAT(8)

NAME
iostat -- report I/O statistics SYNOPSIS
iostat [-CdDITx] [-c count] [-M core] [-N system] [-w wait] [drives] DESCRIPTION
iostat displays kernel I/O statistics on terminal, disk and CPU operations. By default, iostat displays one line of statistics averaged over the machine's run time. The use of -c presents successive lines averaged over the wait period. The -I option causes iostat to print raw, unaveraged values. Only the last disk option specified (-d, -D, or -x) is used. The options are as follows: -c count Repeat the display count times. Unless the -I flag is in effect, the first display is for the time since a reboot and each sub- sequent report is for the time period since the last display. If no wait interval is specified, the default is 1 second. -C Show CPU statistics. This is enabled by default unless the -d, -D, -T, or -x flags are used. -d Show disk statistics. This is the default. Displays kilobytes per transfer, number of transfers, and megabytes transferred. Use of this flag disables display of CPU and tty statistics. -D Show alternative disk statistics. Displays kilobytes transferred, number of transfers, and time spent in transfers. Use of this flag disables the default display. -I Show the running total values, rather than an average. -M core Extract values associated with the name list from the specified core instead of the default ``/dev/mem''. -N system Extract the name list from the specified system instead of the default ``/netbsd''. -T Show tty statistics. This is enabled by default unless the -C, -d, or -D flags are used. -w wait Pause wait seconds between each display. If no repeat count is specified, the default is infinity. -x Show extended disk statistics. Each disk is displayed on a line of its own with all available statistics. This option overrides all other display options, and all disks are displayed unless specific disks are provided as arguments. Additionally, separate read and write statistics are displayed. iostat displays its information in the following format: tty tin characters read from terminals tout characters written to terminals disks Disk operations. The header of the field is the disk name and unit number. If more than four disk drives are configured in the sys- tem, iostat displays only the first four drives. To force iostat to display specific drives, their names may be supplied on the com- mand line. KB/t Kilobytes transferred per disk transfer t/s transfers per second MB/s Megabytes transferred per second The alternative display format, (selected with -D), presents the following values. KB Kilobytes transferred xfr Disk transfers time Seconds spent in disk activity cpu us % of CPU time in user mode ni % of CPU time in user mode running niced processes sy % of CPU time in system mode id % of CPU time in idle mode FILES
/netbsd Default kernel namelist. /dev/mem Default memory file. SEE ALSO
fstat(1), netstat(1), nfsstat(1), ps(1), systat(1), vmstat(1), pstat(8) The sections starting with ``Interpreting system activity'' in Installing and Operating 4.3BSD. HISTORY
iostat appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. The -x option was added in NetBSD 1.4. BSD
March 1, 2003 BSD