Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: grep & sed question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting grep & sed question Post 58435 by zazzybob on Monday 22nd of November 2004 03:49:27 AM
Old 11-22-2004
Just a couple of ideas....

For the end of line problem, use tr or dos2unix (if applicable and installed) to replace the end of line characters with \n.

For getting the absolute path, have a look at "dirname".

Cheers
ZB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed / grep question

Hello, I am new to shell scripting. I have a input file: Few lines of the input file has the following. /a0012/abcd12/abcd12 /a0003/xyzab1/lmno123 /a0006/pqrst1/abcde12 In my output file, I only need to get anything that is between the first and second '/' of each line: exampple:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemangjani
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

question on sed grep awk from variable

i am still confusing on how to use sed, grep and awk if the input is not a file but a variable. such as: a="hello world" b="how are you" c="best wish to you" d="222,333,444" what if i want to check which variable $a,$b,$c,$d have contain "you" what if i want to replace the word "you"... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3Gmobile
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed/grep string replace question

Hi all, I know this question has probably been answered before, but I am struggling with this problem, even after googling a million pages. In a file named rdmt.conf I need a single character replaced, the number in the line below CUR_OC4J_ID=1 It will always appear after... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike AAA
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep char count & pipe to sed command

Hi I am having a 'grep' headache Here is the contents of my file: (PBZ,CP,(((ME,PBZ,BtM),ON),((ME,((PBZ,DG),(CW9,PG11))),CW9,TS2,RT1))) I would like to count out how many times 'PBZ' occurs and then place that number in the line above 3... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cavanac2
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Needed with grep & sed

On one of my servers, it appears that a bunch of html files got the following code added to it... I was going to try to remove this line using grep & sed... as sample grep -lr -e 'apples' *.html | xargs sed -i 's/apples/oranges/g' I can get the grep portion to work... grep "<script... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: djlane
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question grep and sed

hi everybody i have this script and it work's if i use a single variable in grep, but when i put $searchterm_ the script stops work i have a problem too in sed, because i don't know how i can search and replace more than one item, in this case is >>> $searchterm/$replaceterm and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: felito
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

applescript & grep - sed command

I'm new using Unix commands in applescript. The following script you choose different folders with PDfs, get file count of PDfs on chosen folders, & write the results in text file. set target_folder to choose folder with prompt "Choose target folders containing only PDFs to count files" with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nellbern
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

help understanding regex with grep & sed

I have the following line of code that works wonders. I just don't completely understand it as I am just starting to learn regex. Can you help me understand exactly what is happening here? find . -type f | grep -v '^\.$' | sed 's!\.\/!!' (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trogdortheburni
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep & sed - Output

Hi All, Facing an issue with grep & sed I have logs as below: gsc_1_20121121.log:2012-11-21 10:09:13,143 INFO - fmsspace.1 ProcessNewOrderSingleRequest: Result - ProcessNewOrderSingleBatchResultDTO - success:true,newOrderSingleBatchResults:ProcessNewOrderSingleResultDTO -... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: irfanmemon
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep / awk /sed question

Hi All, I have a file with following sample data. I am also attaching the file. (Est) (Est) Jobs Sch Workstation Job Stream SchedTime State Pr Start Elapse # OK Lim POOL #ACR_BILLING 0005 08/15 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin Tivoli
2 Replies
mvdir(1M)						  System Administration Commands						 mvdir(1M)

NAME
mvdir - move a directory SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mvdir dirname name DESCRIPTION
mvdir moves directories within a file system. dirname must be a directory. If name does not exist, it will be created as a directory. If name does exist, and is a directory, dirname will be created as name/dirname. dirname and name may not be on the same path; that is, one may not be subordinate to the other. For example: example% mvdir x/y x/z is legal, but example% mvdir x/y x/y/z is not. OPERANDS
dirname The name of the directory that is to be moved to another directory in the filesystem. name The name of the directory into which dirname is to be moved. If name does not exist, it will be created. It may not be on the same path as dirname. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of mvdir when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXIT STATUS
0 Successful operation. >0 Operation failed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mkdir(1), mv(1), attributes(5), largefile(5) SunOS 5.10 14 Mar 1997 mvdir(1M)