Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: xargs problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting xargs problem Post 57818 by zazzybob on Sunday 7th of November 2004 04:15:10 PM
Old 11-07-2004
For problem 1, the following works for me (under Linux)

ls -1 $dir1 | xargs -i -t mv $dir1/{} $dir2/{}

Should work in solaris too (-i and -I are equivalent - you don't need the {} after -i either as this is assumed as default).

When you say "does not work..." in what way does it not work, what error output is there, etc.

With Problem 2 - you are expanding the contents of "$files" which contains more filenames (i.e. arguments) than ls can handle (the sort of thing xargs was designed to combat!).

I think you'd be better off dropping the xargs approach altogether with this problem, and generate a file containing the list of filenames. Then just use a while loop to iterate through, e.g.
Code:
while read line
do
  mv $dir1/$line $dir2/$line
done < /my/list/of/files

Just my two pence though!

Cheers
ZB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using find and xargs

I'm using Imagemagick to create thumbnails for a large directory tree. The only thing I can't see is how to get it to write the thumbnails to a "thumbs" subdirectory! Either of these two commands from the Imagemagick site does most of the job: find -name '*.jpg' | xargs -n1 sh -c 'convert $0... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: quixote
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with "xargs rm -i"

Hi, I could not understand why the following command does not work find . -name "foo" | xargs rm -i but, find . -name "foo" | xargs rm works perfectly alright. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with grep in combination with xargs

Dear all, I have tried the following 2 lines xargs -t -i -exec grep -i -w {} file_1 >>test < file_2 cat -s file_2| xargs -t -i -exec grep -i -w {} file_1 >> test They were meant to search for the contents of file_2 in file_1 and write the respective lines of file_1 into file "test" .... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bruno
15 Replies

4. Solaris

Problem in using wildcard characters in xargs with find

Hi, Under my parent diectory I have directory named "Response" in many of its subfolders. I am interested to see all files with extention .pro in Response Directory. I am giving following command - find . -name "Response" -type d | xargs -i ls -lrt {}/*.pro but it is not giving result. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay1979
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

xargs command problem

Hi I am trying to use "xargs" command to loop through each file, modify it and overwrite the old file with the modification but with the same file name. I thought it is easy but I just can't get it to work I tried the following I thought {} would give me the current file name, but it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tiger66
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with xargs

hi Could any one please tell me the option using which we can run multiple commands using xargs I have list of files, I want to run dos2unix and chmod at one shot on them I tried google n searched man pages but couldnt really find the solution , please help right now im doing this ls... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunilmenhdiratt
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

piping problem with xargs

I'm trying to pipe the output from a command into another using xargs but is not getting what I want. Running this commands: find . -name '33_cr*.rod' | xargs -n1 -t -i cut -f5 {} | sort -k1.3n | uniq | wc -l give the following output: cut -f5 ./33_cr22.rod cut -f5 ./33_cr22.rod ... 9224236... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivpz
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with xargs

Using the bash shell I'm trying to either create a command for the command line or a script that will show netstat info for a given process name. Here is an example of what I'm trying to do:$ ps aux |grep catalina |grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}' 5132 $ netstat -nlp |grep 5132 (Not all processes... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: axiopisty
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using xargs with rm

I am trying to call xargs, however rm is complaining find . -maxdepth 1 -name "*tests*" -print0 | xargs -0 rm rm: missing operand Try `rm --help' for more information. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with xargs

I entered the following <zzz.list xargs showtell |more which does a echo "<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< $1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>" head -20 $1 The file zzz.list contains 525 lines representing user scripts (1 per line), but only the first, 181st, and 399th lines were processed. What am I missing? TIA (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
2 Replies
dpkg-name(1)							  dpkg utilities						      dpkg-name(1)

NAME
dpkg-name - rename Debian packages to full package names SYNOPSIS
dpkg-name [option...] [--] file... DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the dpkg-name program which provides an easy way to rename Debian packages into their full package names. A full package name consists of package_version_architecture.package-type as specified in the control file of the package. The version part of the filename consists of the upstream version information optionally followed by a hyphen and the revision information. The package-type part comes from that field if present or fallbacks to deb. OPTIONS
-a, --no-architecture The destination filename will not have the architecture information. -k, --symlink Create a symlink, instead of moving. -o, --overwrite Existing files will be overwritten if they have the same name as the destination filename. -s, --subdir [dir] Files will be moved into a subdirectory. If the directory given as argument exists the files will be moved into that directory oth- erwise the name of the target directory is extracted from the section field in the control part of the package. The target directory will be `unstable/binary-architecture/section'. If the section is not found in the control, then `no-section' is assumed, and in this case, as well as for sections `non-free' and `contrib' the target directory is `section/binary-architecture'. The section field isn't required so a lot of packages will find their way to the `no-section' area. Use this option with care, it's messy. -c, --create-dir This option can used together with the -s option. If a target directory isn't found it will be created automatically. Use this option with care. -?, --help Show the usage message and exit. -v, --version Show the version and exit. EXAMPLES
dpkg-name bar-foo.deb The file `bar-foo.deb' will be renamed to bar-foo_1.0-2_i386.deb or something similar (depending on whatever information is in the control part of `bar-foo.deb'). find /root/debian/ -name '*.deb' | xargs -n 1 dpkg-name -a All files with the extension `deb' in the directory /root/debian and its subdirectory's will be renamed by dpkg-name if required into names with no architecture information. find -name '*.deb' | xargs -n 1 dpkg-name -a -o -s -c Don't do this. Your archive will be messed up completely because a lot of packages don't come with section information. Don't do this. dpkg-deb --build debian-tmp && dpkg-name -o -s .. debian-tmp.deb This can be used when building new packages. BUGS
Some packages don't follow the name structure package_version_architecture.deb. Packages renamed by dpkg-name will follow this structure. Generally this will have no impact on how packages are installed by dselect(1)/dpkg(1), but other installation tools might depend on this naming structure. SEE ALSO
deb(5), deb-control(5), dpkg(1), dpkg-deb(1), find(1), xargs(1). Debian Project 2012-04-15 dpkg-name(1)