Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to check if path is present? Post 57565 by svennie on Tuesday 2nd of November 2004 04:41:59 AM
Old 11-02-2004
how to check if path is present?

following situation...

- bourne shell script
- sb. should entry a path and the script should look if the path exists, when not it should restart the Input

echo "path\c"
read Inp
if [$Inp = ?????] ; then
echo " path doesn't exist, try again... "
(how to go back to the Inp?????)
else
echo " path exists "
fi

thx for any advice...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to check the actual path instead of link path

Hi I have a path link /test/df/link1/actual/file1 here link1 is actually a softlink link1= a/b i need to print the ACTUAL FULL path instead of a linked path is there any direct command to print the actual path of any linked path eg showPhyscialPath /test/df/link1/actual/file1 and it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check whether the pattern is present or not?

I want to determine whether a specific pattern is present within a line or not e.g. The whole line is in a varaible called VALUE VALUE="(ABC, DEF, NMF, ABC, CLF, PAR, FHG, AGQSAs, sada, sa, ABC)" i want to set a flag to 1 if i find the presence of ABC in the above variable. Please... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get path and check in if statement

Hi, I was wondering if it possible to get the path of a variable and compare that to something. Basically I want to write a script that checks if my $JAVA_HOME is correct and if not then it sets it. So far I have... if ] then export JAVA_HOME='/pathhere' echo JAVA_HOME='/pathhere' fi ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eltinator
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if specified path is in $PATH

echo $PATH | grep "\/usr\/ucb" is not working using sh-posix The problem is very simle. I want to check '/usr/ucb' is in the PATH environment variable. If i simply grep '/usr/ucb' i might got wrong result eg '/usr/ucb/bin'. After the path an end of line or colon character should be. In... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fpeter75
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check the variable is present in array or not ?

Hi , I am trying to check wether the variable is present in the array. please see the below code .when ever i do this its taking only the first value of the array . please advise. ###Code Snnipet ### #!/bin/ksh set -xv if ]; then echo " you have Specified the ORG ID - $1 " ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: padhu.47
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

check whether 3 files are present

I'm trying to check whether 3 files are existing and send 3 files as attachements. If only two are there then send those two files as attachments. if ; then elif ; then I tired the above given syntax and then it is giving me an error line 11: ' I tried with -a instead of && and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Celvin VK
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Check whether list file present in TXT file exist or not

Hi All, I have txt file which has list of files. I have to check whether these files exist or not. Thanks supriya (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: supriyabv
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Present Working Directory (not the full path)

Hi, Is there a command that tells you right away the current working directory? I know the command "pwd", but that one gives the full path. if pwd gives me: /a/b/c/d/ggg/HERE I want something that will give me: HERE Thanks, Gaurab (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurab
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

List all the files in the present path and Folders and subfolders files also

Hi, I need a script/command to list out all the files in current path and also the files in folder and subfolders. Ex: My files are like below $ ls -lrt total 8 -rw-r--r-- 1 abc users 419 May 25 10:27 abcd.xml drwxr-xr-x 3 abc users 4096 May 25 10:28 TEST $ Under TEST, there are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: divya bandipotu
2 Replies
BASENAME(3)								 1							       BASENAME(3)

basename - Returns trailing name component of path

SYNOPSIS
string basename (string $path, [string $suffix]) DESCRIPTION
Given a string containing the path to a file or directory, this function will return the trailing name component. PARAMETERS
o $path - A path. On Windows, both slash ( /) and backslash ( ) are used as directory separator character. In other environments, it is the forward slash ( /). o $suffix - If the name component ends in $suffix this will also be cut off. RETURN VALUES
Returns the base name of the given $path. EXAMPLES
Example #1 basename(3) example <?php echo "1) ".basename("/etc/sudoers.d", ".d").PHP_EOL; echo "2) ".basename("/etc/sudoers.d").PHP_EOL; echo "3) ".basename("/etc/passwd").PHP_EOL; echo "4) ".basename("/etc/").PHP_EOL; echo "5) ".basename(".").PHP_EOL; echo "6) ".basename("/"); ?> The above example will output: 1) sudoers 2) sudoers.d 3) passwd 4) etc 5) . 6) NOTES
Note basename(3) operates naively on the input string, and is not aware of the actual filesystem, or path components such as " ..". Note basename(3) is locale aware, so for it to see the correct basename with multibyte character paths, the matching locale must be set using the setlocale(3) function. SEE ALSO
dirname(3), pathinfo(3). PHP Documentation Group BASENAME(3)