Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: if statement remotely
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting if statement remotely Post 57310 by zazzybob on Friday 22nd of October 2004 11:28:31 AM
Old 10-22-2004
Hmm. You're testing the value of $? which is the exit code of the command - this is never going to be equal to 5.8

Something like
version=`rsh $host "( /usr/bin/cat /etc/version)"`
if [ "$version" -eq "5.8" ]; then
# version 5.8
else
# some other version
fi
# etc

might do it - this is untested though

Cheers
ZB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remotely login to one from another?

NT CONSULTANT IS NEAR TOTAL UNIX NEWBIE! Please help! I would like detailed info about how to remotely connect a PC running win'98 that is not on a local network to a unix server which is locally networked to other PCs? Would like to know how to: Move files back and forth? Mount... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kagor
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Using CD drive remotely !

hi, could anyone tell me that how can i use a remote CD drive for installing solaris , cause my local Drive has peroblem. tell me the steps one by one. Rgrds, nikk:confused: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikk
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Untar remotely

I need to upload tar or zip files to a unix server than unzip or untar them remotely. Any suggestions on the easiest way to do the remote untar or unzip? For example does someone know of a cgi script or something? Thanks -jz (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwzumwalt
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statement - How to write a null statement

In my ksh script, if the conditions of a if statement are true, then do nothing; otherwise, execute some commands. How do I write the "do nothing" statement in the following example? Example: if (( "$x"="1" && "$y"="a" && "$z"="happy" )) then do nothing else command command fi... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: april
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How is use sselect statement o/p in insert statement.

Hi All, I am using Unix ksh script. I need to insert values to a table using the o/p from a slelect statement. Can anybody Help! My script looks like tihs. ---`sqlplus -s username/password@SID << EOF set heading off set feedback off set pages 0 insert into ${TB_NAME}_D... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkosaraju
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk remotely

Hi there I am trying to add up the disk space used on a remote linux box but am falling at the first hurdle i.e isolating the 'space used' column with df -k on the remote box if i run this, i get the df -k output as expected # rsh remote-server 'df -k|grep sd|grep -v boot' /dev/sda3 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
8 Replies

7. Solaris

SSH Remotely

Hello. I am trying to ssh and run a script from a remote computer. These computers will be both Windows and MACs. I am using Solaris 8 and what I have tried is: using putty ssh user@ip_address (remote command) /folder/folder/filename.sh The issue here is that the user profile has not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkmtm
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to execute the shell remotely

Hi All, I have a typical problem where I have HP unix and want to connect to Solaris 5.10 box and run a shell. I tried with multiple forums but it does not help. As per my analysis, there is no ssh in my machine and so i cant connect to solaris box,secondly ftp to the solaris server is not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cskumar
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remotely Diff Two files

Daily Stupid Question: How can I remotely look at the difference from a file from my localhost and a remote machine? So: diff local-file remote-file-on-some-other-ip (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Update statement into Insert statement in UNIX using awk, sed....

Hi folks, I have a scenario to convert the update statements into insert statements using shell script (awk, sed...) or in database using regex. I have a bunch of update statements with all columns in a file which I need to convert into insert statements. UPDATE TABLE_A SET COL1=1 WHERE... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev123
0 Replies
RSH(1C) 																   RSH(1C)

NAME
rsh - remote shell SYNOPSIS
rsh host [ -l username ] [ -n ] command host [ -l username ] [ -n ] command DESCRIPTION
Rsh connects to the specified host, and executes the specified command. Rsh copies its standard input to the remote command, the standard output of the remote command to its standard output, and the standard error of the remote command to its standard error. Interrupt, quit and terminate signals are propagated to the remote command; rsh normally terminates when the remote command does. The remote username used is the same as your local username, unless you specify a different remote name with the -l option. This remote name must be equivalent (in the sense of rlogin(1C)) to the originating account; no provision is made for specifying a password with a com- mand. If you omit command, then instead of executing a single command, you will be logged in on the remote host using rlogin(1C). Shell metacharacters which are not quoted are interpreted on local machine, while quoted metacharacters are interpreted on the remote machine. Thus the command rsh otherhost cat remotefile >> localfile appends the remote file remotefile to the localfile localfile, while rsh otherhost cat remotefile ">>" otherremotefile appends remotefile to otherremotefile. Host names are given in the file /etc/hosts. Each host has one standard name (the first name given in the file), which is rather long and unambiguous, and optionally one or more nicknames. The host names for local machines are also commands in the directory /usr/hosts; if you put this directory in your search path then the rsh can be omitted. FILES
/etc/hosts /usr/hosts/* SEE ALSO
rlogin(1C) BUGS
If you are using csh(1) and put a rsh(1C) in the background without redirecting its input away from the terminal, it will block even if no reads are posted by the remote command. If no input is desired you should redirect the input of rsh to /dev/null using the -n option. You cannot run an interactive command (like rogue(6) or vi(1)); use rlogin(1C). Stop signals stop the local rsh process only; this is arguably wrong, but currently hard to fix for reasons too complicated to explain here. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution April 29, 1985 RSH(1C)