Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Can't delete anything in /usr Post 57278 by RTM on Thursday 21st of October 2004 08:26:43 PM
Old 10-21-2004
If the error is that the file system is read-only then somewhere (/etc/vfstab, startup script...) something mounted it that way. The default is for read-write.

Try a mount -o remount -o rw /usr

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

/usr hosed up

when I give the following commmand under cd /usr/platform/sun4u/sbin #file eeprom file: syntax error at line 1: `"\302^SÒ^D`^\^P\302ɢ^D`(^B\302^Y\302¥à\302"\302^^ê^D`^X^P\302â^D`' unexpected I had restored from tape. system is booting fine and showing no errors. Please help Thanks Jaya (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vr76413
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

usr loggings??????

How and where do I get the log of any user is logged in my system? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zing_foru
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleted /usr

I accidentally deleted the usr on/. How can I start the server again? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahmantanko
5 Replies

4. Solaris

How do I link ld in /usr/ucb/ to /usr/ccs/bin?

Hi all, below is the problem details: ora10g@CNORACLE1>which ld /usr/ucb/ld ora10g@CNORACLE1>cd /usr/ccs/bin ora10g@CNORACLE1>ln -s /usr/ucb/ld ld ln: cannot create ld: File exists ora10g@CNORACLE1> how to link it to /usr/ccs/bin? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Unable to create or delete a directory in /usr with root user

Hi All, I am trying to uninstall jdk 1.5 from my Solaris 10 64 bit but some how was not successful.so tried to delete the folder of jdk from /usr but its throughing error as: Unable to remove directory jdk: Read-only file system Even I tried to create a dir in /usr but its not allowing me... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pshah
4 Replies

6. Solaris

How to link sed from /usr/bin/sed to /usr/local/bin/sed?

Hi Guys, OS:- Solaris 10 64Bit I have a small query. On one server a user is facing sed command issue. He gets error regarding sed for this location /users/hoy/2999/batch5/bin/internal.sh: /usr/local/bin/sed: not found How ever the sed is actually present at this location on server:-... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
13 Replies

7. BSD

FreeBSD: /usr/bin/ld not looking in /usr/local/lib

I'm not sure if this is the default behavior for the ld command, but it does not seem to be looking in /usr/local/lib for shared libraries. I was trying to compile the latest version of Kanatest from svn. The autorgen.sh script seems to exit without too much trouble: $ ./autogen.sh checking... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AntumDeluge
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script needed to delete to the list of files in a directory based on last created & delete them

Hi My directory structure is as below. dir1, dir2, dir3 I have the list of files to be deleted in the below path as below. /staging/retain_for_2years/Cleanup/log $ ls -lrt total 0 drwxr-xr-x 2 nobody nobody 256 Mar 01 16:15 01-MAR-2015_SPDBS2 drwxr-xr-x 2 root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasadn
2 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

OSX: ./Users/myname OR. /usr/myname ? 1) what is the truth on UNIX ./usr/ directory.

OSX uses its own directory strecture on the BSD core, for example /Users/Bob_Alice/. but legacy Unix structure /usr/... remains. Adding confustion, some Unix books say /usr/ was never intended for specific users. and others show it being used for Bor or Alice. I am not sure where to put my third... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: michaelayres
5 Replies
FSTAB(5)							File Formats Manual							  FSTAB(5)

NAME
fstab, mtab - list of file systems to mount, mounted file system table. SYNOPSIS
/etc/fstab /etc/mtab DESCRIPTION
/etc/fstab is a table of file system to mount at boot time, /etc/mtab is a table of currently mounted file systems as maintained by mount and umount. /etc/fstab is not read by mount as it should be. It is instead a simple shell script listing the three devices that Minix needs to oper- ate: The device names of the root file system, the temporary (scratch) file system, and the file system for /usr. Of these only the /usr file system is mounted in /etc/rc, the scratch file system is there for the system administrator to test new kernels, or as a temporary file system. /etc/mtab contains lines of four fields. The layout is: device directory type options These fields may be explained as follows: device A block special device. directory Mount point. type Either 1, or 2, indicating a V1 or V2 file system. options Either ro, or rw, indicating a read-only or read-write mounted file system. FILES
/etc/fstab Shell script naming three important file systems. /etc/mtab List of mounted file systems. SEE ALSO
printroot(8), mount(1), fsck(1), mkfs(1). BUGS
/etc/fstab is a joke. AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) FSTAB(5)