Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Restore command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Restore command Post 56511 by Latha Nair on Monday 4th of October 2004 10:23:13 PM
Old 10-04-2004
Restore command

Does the restore command run very very slow? I am trying to do restore some files, there is practically nobody else on the system. System is idle 99% of the time, but still my files are not found yet. I have been running this command for almost 6 hours. We have an AIX/UNIX 5.1 machine. The command I used is
restore -xvqf /dev/rmt0 /db/uci/xxx* where "xxx" is the prefix for my filenames. I am in '/db/uci' directory.

Is there a better way to restore files? Also, is there any way to find out where the job is currently?

Thank you in advance.
Latha Nair

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

Dump and restore command usage ??

Hi, I am using RHEL 4.0 I need to take backup of a directory and then restore it to some other location. For taking Backup of final directory, I am using this code: dump -0aj -f /home/vicky/final.dump /home/vicky/final/ Now, I am trying to restore this final.dump to some other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
2 Replies

2. AIX

mksysb restore - Wrong OS level for restore

Hi all, I am still working on my mksysb restore. My latest issue is during an alt_disk_install from tape I got the following error after all the data had been restored. 0505-143 alt_disk_install: Unable to match mksysb level 5.2.0 with any available boot images. Please correct this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pobman
0 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Restore Command

How can I tell the restore command to restore my files to another directory than the one archived? I want to restore a directory to a directory called temp and NOT its original location. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
2 Replies

4. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

DD command to backup and restore

Hi, Currently I have 2 servers. 1 is already installed with RHEL4(withmyapplications) and the other one is still brand new. My question is, is it possible to use DD command to backup the whole harddrive for the RHEL4 server and restore it to the new brand server so that I do not have to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flekzout
3 Replies
bup-restore(1)						      General Commands Manual						    bup-restore(1)

NAME
bup-restore - extract files from a backup set SYNOPSIS
bup restore [--outdir=outdir] [-v] [-q] DESCRIPTION
bup restore extracts files from a backup set (created with bup-save(1)) to the local filesystem. The specified paths are of the form /branch/revision/path/to/file. The components of the path are as follows: branch the name of the backup set to restore from; this corresponds to the --name (-n) option to bup save. revision the revision of the backup set to restore. The revision latest is always the most recent backup on the given branch. You can dis- cover other revisions using bup ls /branch. /path/to/file the original absolute filesystem path to the file you want to restore. For example, /etc/passwd. Note: if the /path/to/file is a directory, bup restore will restore that directory as well as recursively restoring all its contents. If /path/to/file is a directory ending in a slash (ie. /path/to/dir/), bup restore will restore the children of that directory directly to the current directory (or the --outdir). If the directory does not end in a slash, the children will be restored to a subdirectory of the current directory. See the EXAMPLES section to see how this works. OPTIONS
-C, --outdir=outdir create and change to directory outdir before extracting the files. -v, --verbose increase log output. Given once, prints every directory as it is restored; given twice, prints every file and directory. -q, --quiet don't show the progress meter. Normally, is stderr is a tty, a progress display is printed that shows the total number of files restored. EXAMPLE
Create a simple test backup set: $ bup index -u /etc $ bup save -n mybackup /etc/passwd /etc/profile Restore just one file: $ bup restore /mybackup/latest/etc/passwd Restoring: 1, done. $ ls -l passwd -rw-r--r-- 1 apenwarr apenwarr 1478 2010-09-08 03:06 passwd Restore the whole directory (no trailing slash): $ bup restore -C test1 /mybackup/latest/etc Restoring: 3, done. $ find test1 test1 test1/etc test1/etc/passwd test1/etc/profile Restore the whole directory (trailing slash): $ bup restore -C test2 /mybackup/latest/etc/ Restoring: 2, done. $ find test2 test2 test2/passwd test2/profile SEE ALSO
bup-save(1), bup-ftp(1), bup-fuse(1), bup-web(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-restore(1)