Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: openbsd : cannot login
Operating Systems BSD openbsd : cannot login Post 55782 by google on Sunday 19th of September 2004 09:14:03 PM
Old 09-19-2004
You can make a root disk with Toms Root Boot on it and access the system. From there, your guess is as good as mine. What was the tar ball that you opened? What was its purpose? Toms will get you in, but once in, only you can determine your course of action.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

please help with openbsd 2.9

Please help. I have downloaded the openbsd 2.9 snapshot from ftp.openbsd.org. the following files were downloaded from the snapshot dir. ( the whole dir. was downloaded ) base29,bsd,bsd.rd,cdrom29.fs,cksum,comp29,etc29,all three floppy images,game29,index,install.ata,install.chs... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blunt_Killer
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

OpenBSD as router?

Hi Right now, my computer is connected directly to the internet.. but I recently got another one, and now I want to use this to share my internet connection to the other one. The new one has openbsd installed.. How should I do? I also need to forward connections on some ports to my old... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maestin
4 Replies

3. BSD

setting up OpenBSD 4.0

ok these questions may be a little silly but I just started using OpenBSD as I came from Linux... 1. How do I make my desktop in X all snazzy like, I have wallpapers that need to be used. while I admit it will mainly be used for things I wont need a wallpaper for, you just never know :p, im... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siphter
4 Replies

4. BSD

OpenBSD and wireless

I've just installed OpenBSD on my laptop (IBM Thinkpad T42) and since this is my first time with wireless networking in OpenBSD I'm a bit lost. What I would like to do is connect to a wireless network using WEP or WPA. Where do I place the key and essid? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Timmy66
3 Replies

5. BSD

RAIDing openbsd 4.2

Hello! Can anyone tell me how to make software RAID1 on openbsd 4.2. I try by some manuals but have no results.Maybe is somewhere good manual directly to openbsd 4.2 version? tnx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kasparens
1 Replies

6. BSD

Trying to get into OpenBSD

I am an eight year Linux user and after getting into an argument with someone about OpenBSD overiding my theory that OS security is 50% OS and 50% admin skill, I decided to try OpenBSD for myself. I've tried BSDs before and haven't been able to get into them for day to dy use, but I am going to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
7 Replies

7. BSD

openbsd-pf

hello , I wondered if anyone could assist me in writing a simple packet filter firewall on my OpenBSD v4.5. All I intend doing is to have two firewalling machine on a separate network : 192.168.1.1 ext_if = xl0 (dhcp) // Internet interface int_if=xl1 // Internatl interface ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattjam
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question: Automatic launching of a CLI menu upon login (OpenBSD)

Hi all, I am OpenBSD newbie and currently need to manage some OpenBSD firewalls running pf. The OpenBSD version is 4.8 As the other sys admins are not so familiar with OpenBSD, so I have an idea across in my mind on how to minimize the root account usage and other unnecessary access and make... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lcxpics
9 Replies

9. BSD

PF troubles on OpenBSD 5.0

I am setting up a system as an ADSL gateway. ADSL is working fine. PF is not forwarding for some reason. # ifconfig lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 33196 priority: 0 groups: lo inet6... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: John Tate
0 Replies

10. BSD

NFSD under OpenBSD

Hi all, I am having a following problem. Trying to run PXE boot server on my OpenBSD machine I have ended up on making NFSd daemon works. On all machines I get an error msg. nfsd : nfsd count is invalid: (null) no matter what computer I run it on. Everything works just well on FreeBSD and linux.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smoofy
1 Replies
shadow(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							 shadow(4)

NAME
shadow - shadow password file SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The file is created from the file by the command. It is readable only by a privileged user. It can be modified by the and commands. Pro- grams may use the interfaces described in the getspent(3C) manpage to access this information. These functions return a pointer to an structure, which is defined in the header file. Fields The file is an ASCII file consisting of any number of user entries separated by newlines. Each user entry line consists of the following fields separated by colons: login name Each login name must match a login name in puts the user entries in in the same order as the entries. encrypted password The password field of each entry contains an "x", and the actual encrypted passwords reside in The encrypted password field consists of 13 characters chosen from a 64-character set of "digits". The characters used to represent "digits" are for 0, for 1, through for 2 through 11, through for 12 through 37, and through for 38 through 63. If the SHA11i3 product is installed, the password field may contain the prefix , where n is a label identifying an alterna- tive algorithm used for the password hash. Using the new algorithm results in an encrypted password field which is longer than 13 characters. The password field will consist of digits from the same 64-character set, as well as the additional character used as a delimiter. If this field is null, then there is no password and no password is demanded on login. Login can be prevented by entering a character that is not a part of the set of digits (such as *). last change The number of days since January 1, 1970 that the password was last modified. min days The minimum period in days that must expire before the password can be changed. See also in security(4) and the command in passwd(1). max days The maximum number of days for which a password is valid. A user who attempts to login after his password has expired is forced to supply a new one. If min days and max days are both zero, the user is forced to change his password the next time he logs in. If min days is greater than max days, then the password cannot be changed. These restrictions do not apply to the superuser. See also in security(4) and the command in passwd(1). warn days The number of days the user is warned before his password expires. See also in security(4) and the command in passwd(1). inactivity The maximum number of days of inactivity allowed. This field is set with the option of either the or command. If this value is greater than zero, then the account is locked if there have been no logins to the account for at least the specified num- ber of days. If this value is less than or equal to zero, the value is determined by the attribute. See the description of in security(4). expiration The absolute number of days since Jan 1, 1970 after which the account is no longer valid. A value of zero in this field indicates that the account is locked. reserved The reserved field is always zero and is reserved for future use. Notes The file is not applicable to a system which has been converted to a trusted system. WARNINGS
HP-UX 11i Version 3 is the last release to support trusted systems functionality. FILES
system password file shadow password file SEE ALSO
login(1), passwd(1), pwconv(1M), pwunconv(1M), useradd(1M), userdel(1M), usermod(1M), crypt(3C), getspent(3C), putspent(3C), nss- witch.conf(4), passwd(4), security(4). shadow(4)