Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Directory named "~" that points to root Post 54251 by jskillet on Friday 6th of August 2004 12:23:15 PM
Old 08-06-2004
Computer

Thanks for the great explaination.

I did an unlink \~ and that seemed to do the trick without any harm. I have no idea how that got there. I was writing an perl script on that system during the time the directory was created, but there's nothing in my script that creates directories. Weird ... anyways thanks for the reply.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

directory named "-filedir"

How do you delete a directory named -filedir? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jskillet
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse "masters" ip from named.conf

Hi there, Im' trying to make a script to parse the BIND configuration file from my slave DNS server and obtain a certain parameter. The named.conf file has this format: zone "0.170.20.10.in-addr.arpa" { type slave; file "0/./db.0.170.20.10.in-addr.arpa.bak"; allow-notify {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Citricut
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

The "PS" command was displaying*terminals named as "SYSCON"

Hi, When typing the command ps -fe.the system is showing a process called SYSCON:confused:.... I am not sure what process is that.I hava a script that kills all command staring with 'sys' but i don't want to kill syscon:( since i think it is some system process:confused: .Please help me to find... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kiranjose85
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

separate "named daemon" message from /var/adm/messages

Hello group, How can I separate "named daemon" messages to the other file instead of /var/adm/messages. I still want all other daemons log the messages to /var/adm/messages. i.e. named => /var/adm/named.message other daemons => /var/adm/messages. I searched unix.com, and google but I still... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dannytrinh
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files older than "x" if directory size is greater than "y"

I wrote a script to delete files which are older than "x" days, if the size of the directory is greater than "y" #!/bin/bash du -hs $1 while read SIZE ENTRY do if ; then find $1 -mtime +$2 -exec rm -f {} \; echo "Files older than $2 days deleted" else echo "free Space available"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesCarter
4 Replies

6. Solaris

difference between "root" and "usr" packages

Hi, could someone pls enlighten me on the difference between the "root" package and "usr" package? Like in this example: pkginfo -l SUNWGtku | grep -i desc DESC: GTK - The GIMP Toolkit (Usr) and pkginfo -l SUNWGtkr | grep -i desc DESC: GTK - The GIMP Toolkit (Root)... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: masloff
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

8. AIX

Change "root" to "root.admin" in outgoing e-mails

Our AIX servers send e-mails which have the "from" address set to "root@company.com" for our root user ("C{M}company.com" in /etc/sendmail.cf). The problem is that when bad e-mails are sent out or rejected by remote servers, they are being returned and delivered to e-mail box of "Mary Root". ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kah00na
2 Replies

9. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
link(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  link(1M)

NAME
link, unlink - link and unlink files and directories SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/link existing-file new-file /usr/xpg4/bin/link existing-file new-file /usr/sbin/unlink file DESCRIPTION
The link and unlink commands link and unlink files and directories. Only super-users can use these commands on directories. Use link to create a new file that points to an existing file. The existing-file and new-file operands specify the existing file and newly-created files. See OPERANDS. link and unlink directly invoke the link(2) and unlink(2) system calls, performing exactly what they are told to do and abandoning all error checking. This differs from the ln(1) command. See ln(1). While linked files and directories can be removed using unlink, it is safer to use rm(1) and rmdir(1) instead. See rm(1) and rmdir(1). /usr/xpg4/bin/link If the existing file being hard linked is itself a symbolic link, then the newly created file (new-file) will be a hard link to the file referenced by the symbolic link, not to the symbolic link object itself (existing-file). OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: existing-file Specifies the name of the existing file to be linked. file Specifies the name of the file to be unlinked. new-file Specifies the name of newly created (linked) file. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of link: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin/link +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ln(1), rm(1), link(2), unlink(2), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 9 Oct 2002 link(1M)