Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers counting lines and showing the output Post 54103 by jim mcnamara on Monday 2nd of August 2004 03:25:31 PM
Old 08-02-2004
Assuming I got what you wanted ---
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
# assuming the file in question, test.dat,  is already sorted 
# adjust the columns to cut the 1-10 part of the cut statement

old_compare=`head -1 test.dat | cut -c 1-10`
let old_count=0
while read record
do   
     tmp=`echo $record | cut -c 1-10`
     if [ "$old_compare" = "$tmp" ] ; then
            let old_count=old_count+1
     else
            echo "$old_compare $old_count"
            let old_count=1
            old_compare="$tmp"   
     fi
done < test.dat                           
echo "$old_compare $old_count"
exit

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with showing the difference in two lines of input

I would like my script to be able to tell the difference between to lines of input, like: Input 1: 1 2 3 4 5 Input 2: 1 2 3 4 5 6 I want the script to tell me that the difference between the two lines is the 6. Is there anyway I can have it do this? Here's an example of what my script... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kweekwom
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting lines for each application

Hi All, I have a output that suppose to be like this (see below please) App : Line counts === ================== AAA: 100 BBB: 201 CCC: 137 DDD: 32 EEE: 55 for i in `ps -ef | grep App`; do print $i; done This only shows App : === (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beginer0705
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Showing the first 4 lines of a file?

Is there a way to show the first 4 lines of a file without using head -4? In sed would it be sed '1,4d' ? What if I just wanted to display the 2nd line ONLY? How could this be done with AWK?...correctly with SED? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: puttster
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HELP! showing output as a ratio in uniq

Hi, I have the following file called addresses, (it is a large file i have only copy and pasted few of the data below) and I am wanting to write a command so it will Find the ratio of mobile (07....) to land line (01....) telephone numbers? then find the most popular first name and list the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tina_2010
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting # of lines

Counting number of lines: sp I am trying to figure out a script to count the number of text files in cywig and have it give me a number (as the answer) any help would be appreciated. I am new here, so be gentle :D (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unicksjp
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Showing strange size in df output

Hi, This is Solaris-10 box and in few of file-system (root file-system of non global zones), usage/available is not showing correct size. I am not able to figure out, what is eating up this space. Global Server - bdrpod01 Non Global zone - bdrpod01-zputq01 root@bdrpod01:/root# df -h... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Now showing the correct output

Hello I am working on one script where I am trying to display all the directories which is inside the workspace but somehow it is giving me weird output and this is occurring only with one directory other also having the result.html file inside the directory. for i in `ls -1 | egrep -iv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command showing no output!

Hi Folks, I have a situation here, where no command is giving any output, and it's not even showing any error message also. What could be the reason? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script showing incorrect output

Hello scripting geeks, I am new to scripting and facing some issues in writing the logic of the script. Request your kind help here Actually when i run a command i get o/p as below o/p : 0x0000 0x0000 0x0000 0x0000 0x0000 0x0000 these are hex values i guess...now i want to... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: kulvant29
15 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pgrep not showing desired output

I am searching for a process that should be up and running. Im using the following command ps -ef | grep elasticsearch to get elastic+ 1673 1 0 Jan29 ? 05:08:56 /bin/java -Xms4g -Xmx4g -Djava.awt.headless=true -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
1 Replies
cut(1)								   User Commands							    cut(1)

NAME
cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file]... cut -c list [file]... cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file]... DESCRIPTION
Use the cut utility to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file; in data base parlance, it implements the projection of a relation. The fields as specified by list can be fixed length, that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option) or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a field delimiter character like TAB (-f option). cut can be used as a filter. Either the -b, -c, or -f option must be specified. Use grep(1) to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or paste(1) to put files together column-wise (that is, horizontally). To reorder columns in a table, use cut and paste. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: list A comma-separated or blank-character-separated list of integer field numbers (in increasing order), with optional - to indi- cate ranges (for instance, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10); or 3- (short for third through last field)). -b list The list following -b specifies byte positions (for instance, -b1-72 would pass the first 72 bytes of each line). When -b and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -c list The list following -c specifies character positions (for instance, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line). -d delim The character following -d is the field delimiter (-f option only). Default is tab. Space or other characters with special meaning to the shell must be quoted. delim can be a multi-byte character. -f list The list following -f is a list of fields assumed to be separated in the file by a delimiter character (see -d ); for instance, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only. Lines with no field delimiters will be passed through intact (useful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified. -n Do not split characters. When -b list and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -s Suppresses lines with no delimiter characters in case of -f option. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters will be passed through untouched. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file A path name of an input file. If no file operands are specified, or if a file operand is -, the standard input will be used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of cut when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte (2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Mapping user IDs A mapping of user IDs to names follows: example% cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd Example 2 Setting current login name To set name to current login name: example$ name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d' '` ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of cut: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were output successfully. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
grep(1), paste(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
cut: -n may only be used with -b cut: -d may only be used with -f cut: -s may only be used with -f cut: cannot open <file> Either file cannot be read or does not exist. If multiple files are present, processing continues. cut: no delimiter specified Missing delim on -d option. cut: invalid delimiter cut: no list specified Missing list on -b, -c, or -f option. cut: invalid range specifier cut: too many ranges specified cut: range must be increasing cut: invalid character in range cut: internal error processing input cut: invalid multibyte character cut: unable to allocate enough memory SunOS 5.11 29 Apr 1999 cut(1)