Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: help
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers help Post 52775 by rhfrommn on Friday 25th of June 2004 03:11:31 PM
Old 06-25-2004
Your server may be using Veritas instead of Sun's disk tools to do the raid. If you don't have any metadbs I would bet that is the case. Look for Veritas software by doing a pkginfo | grep -i VRTS or by checking for directories with VRTS in the name under /opt. If you have that, go to Veritas' website and you should be able to find the procedures you need in their knowledge base.

DISCLAIMER: Messing around with raid disks is a little risky in that if you screw it up badly enough you could lose data. One tip I will give, get a backup of everything on the d1000 before doing the work just in case.

I have replaced bad disks on an array with Veritas software raid on it before. What I had to do is use the vxdiskadm utility. There is an option "mark failed disk for removal" or something like that. I marked the disk bad that way, then swapped out the bad disk for the new one. Then you run vxdiskadm again and choose "replace a failed disk". It brings the new disk into the config and copies the data to it from the surviving good mirror.

There are of course lots of details involved so finding the procedure documentation like I mentioned in the first paragraph is a much better idea than just firing up vxdiskadm and winging it based on the brief tips I gave above.

Good luck.

install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)