Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers stdin not tty when try to pine or redirect Post 51461 by Micz on Thursday 20th of May 2004 02:22:01 PM
Old 05-20-2004
stdin not tty when try to pine or redirect

My supervisor keep getting "stdin not tty" or something like that when he pipe or redirect input into a program. Others
don't seem to get this message. Is there some way I can help him to fix or turn this off?

Thx in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect STDIN

can you redirect STDIN with command arguments? I have tried this approach: # ./script -option <argument1> <argument2> 0<$2 # $2: ambiguous redirect Is this possible? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prkfriryce
4 Replies

2. Programming

Redirect stdin and out to sockets

For windows was pretty simple to redirect the std in a and out of a child process for "cmd.exe " command prompt terminal to a socket using connected pipes passed to a new process in the STARTUPINFO structure. BOOL b = ::CreatePipe((LPHANDLE)h_stdInRead,(LPHANDLE)hsdtInWriteTmp, &SecAttrib,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gyula
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

inline redirect stdin

Hi: I have the next script on ksh #!/usr/bin/ksh cd $FUENTES qdesign <<-! \$/opt/cognos/ph843e/bin/qtp <<-! \$/opt/cognos/ph843e/bin/quiz <<-! ! ! ! This script is very simple, i want to nest three process quiz into qtp, and this into qdesign. When I run it , i receive the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ct2marer
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

inline redirect stdin

Hi: I have the next script on ksh #!/usr/bin/ksh cd $FUENTES qdesign <<-! \$/opt/cognos/ph843e/bin/qtp <<-! \$/opt/cognos/ph843e/bin/quiz <<-! ! ! ! This script is very simple, i want to nest three process quiz into qtp, and this into qdesign. When I run it , i receive the next... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ct2marer
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot redirect to STDIN in a shell script

I am unable to use STDIn redirection with < (commands) When I do the following, both approaches work and give the same results: 1. $ printf "aaa\nbbb\n" > file1 $ printf "111\n222\n" > file2 $ cat file1 file2 aaa bbb 111 2222. $ cat <(printf "aaa\nbbb\n") <(printf "111\n222\n") aaa... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: metaltree
8 Replies

6. Solaris

Command to redirect console to my tty?

Is there a utility built into Solaris that will allow me to see console messages from a tty? I've done a search and see that this is possible through software like ILOM, but I'm looking for a method to do this with built in utilities. For example, on AIX, I can use swcons `tty` (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: makodarear
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect stdin stdout to multiple files

Hi, i know how to a) redirect stdout and stderr to one file, b) and write to two files concurrently with same output using tee command Now, i want to do both the above together. I have a script and it should write both stdout and stderr in one file and also write the same content to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrini
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect String to STDIN

Looking for the proper way to bring a string into the stdin. I have a string that I would like to grep and awk. Each have to be run separately, not piped together. So far, the only way I could figure out how is to echo the string and pipe it: echo 'This is my string' | grep my (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Panman82
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect string from bash stderr to user stdin

Hi there, I need to execute a command in the bash. The program prints some standard (output and) error and then wants the user to choose one of several options and type the according input. I am trying to solve this issue in a bash script but also running into some circular dependency. How can I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredestet
7 Replies

10. Debian

X2go server on Debian 8.10, stdin is not a tty

I am using x2go server on Debian 8.10. When I try to connect using x2go client, I get the error: My online searches return results of most people suggesting to replace the line: mesg n with tty -s && mesg n in /root/.profile or some variation. I tried this but the problem... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brighamandrew
2 Replies
tty(1)								   User Commands							    tty(1)

NAME
tty - return user's terminal name SYNOPSIS
tty [-l] [-s] DESCRIPTION
The tty utility writes to the standard output the name of the terminal that is open as standard input. The name that is used is equivalent to the string that would be returned by the ttyname(3C) function. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -l Prints the synchronous line number to which the user's terminal is connected, if it is on an active synchronous line. -s Inhibits printing of the terminal path name, allowing one to test just the exit status. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of tty: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Standard input is a terminal. 1 Standard input is not a terminal. >1 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Standard |standards(5). | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
isatty(3C), ttyname(3C), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
not on an active synchronous line The standard input is not a synchronous terminal and -l is specified. not a tty The standard input is not a terminal and -s is not specified. NOTES
The -s option is useful only if the exit status is wanted. It does not rely on the ability to form a valid path name. Portable applications should use test -t. SunOS 5.11 1 Feb 1995 tty(1)