Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using a variable list in ksh while Post 51258 by jpeery on Friday 14th of May 2004 01:16:45 PM
Old 05-14-2004
Using a variable list in ksh while

Hey all, been so long since I've done any KSH scriptting, I've forgotten exact sytax. 2 things,
1) I need to dot in an environment file that is a list of server names
2) I need to loop through though server names in a while loop, or until loop.
Here's roughly what I have and trying to hammer out the syntax:

# While not the end of the servers list, go through and copy
# $1 to $2
while [[ ! EOF ]]; do

scp user@server:/$1 user@server_from_list:/$2
done
exit 1

$1 would be the file I want to distribute
$2 is where I want it to go on the remote filesystem

ie.
$ ./dist .profile ~user/
This would distribute my profile to the entire list of servers in the .servers file...
I'd do it by hand, but we're talking a list of 200+ servers.

Thanks!
JP

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh on HP-UX -- variable expansion

We have a script that runs in ksh on HP-UX 11.11. It takes three arguments. The last argument can be a filename or wildcard character. For example: script -s hello -t goodbye '*.d*' In a case such as this, I would wrap single quotes around the final argument because I dont want the shell to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: A part of variable A's name is inside of variable B, how to update A?

This is what I tried: vara=${varb}_count (( vara += 1 )) Thanks for help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pa3be
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - get stdout name as variable

Writing a ksh script. If someone starts a process with: test.ksh > date.log How can I grab 'date.log' name as a variable in test.ksh? I need to get the 'date.log' name (not the contents) as a variable...without entering something like 'test.ksh date.log > date.log' (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhcueball2
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH variable substitution

Hi folks Please let me know if anyone knows how to handle this. My KSH script -> testscript.ksh cmd=$1 ENV="devl" echo $cmd This is how I call the script ./testscript.ksh 'ps -ef | grep br$ENV' How do I get this to print the below text i.e $ENV should be substituted with the value... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tipsy
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking variable has value - ksh

hi all, i have a shell (ksh) script where i am reading line by line from a grep command and i wanted to check if the grep command actually returned something or was null. i can do this by using -z : if ; then ..... but this forces me to do something when $myVariable is null when i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable substitution in ksh

Hi I have a variable BIT1 which holds some value. Is there a way to retrieve the value of this variable indirectly via another variable, lets say SUBSET_BIT_NUM=1, so the call will look something like this: sundev1 $ echo ${BIT${SUBSET_BIT_NUM}} ksh: ${BIT${SUBSET_BIT_NUM}}: bad substitution ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question on using a variable in KSH

Hi all, The below command tries to copy ".tgz" instead of "hello_test.tgz" -- It seems as if the underscore gets in the way. I tried with different ways of using quotes, with no luck, unfortunately...it's probably very simple, but may I ask how this would be done: How would the below be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatguy
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing value of variable in KSH

Here is a sample script demonstrating the issue x() { echo "foo" a=1 } ## the value of $a is 1 a=0 x echo $a ## the value of $a stays 0 a=0 x|sed "s/foo/bar/" echo $a Result: foo 1 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pbmarvin56
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable to command to Variable Question KSH

Hello, First post for Newbie as I am stumped. I need to get certain elements for a specific PID from the ps command. I am attempting to pass the value for the PID I want to retrieve the information for as a variable. When the following is run without using a variable, setting a specific PID,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Coyote270WSM
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Escaping a variable in ksh

I am trying to echo a variable exactly to a script- echo "${var1} ${var2} >> output.output Gives me a blank file. I would like output.output to basically say: ${var1} ${var2} I think I need to use a special escape character for variables. Am I right in assuming that, and is it the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
8 Replies
break(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)