Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ebcidic file coversion to ascii Post 48965 by Perderabo on Monday 22nd of March 2004 07:32:34 PM
Old 03-22-2004
Look at the dd command. It has an option to do that conversion.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

EBCIDIC to ASCII

can anyone get a script for converting EBCIDIC data to Unix ina file.. in shell... thanks in advance! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bourne
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

conversion of EBCIDIC to ASCII format

Hi all, I need help on above said subject. I have a flat file which is in EBCDIC format,i want to convert into ASCII fromat using 'MFSORT'. file contains COMP-3 value in some positions. Can you please provide the SCRIPT SYNTAX.(assume that file is of 80 byte length and it is having COMP-3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijayakumarg
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Viewing Ebcidic files

I am having trouble viewing these files from my unix session. vi comes back with line too long. Also an m_dump with the relevant dml comes back with problems. How can I view this as a text file? Also is there an easy way to view specific records within. Eg I have a policy id (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trek88
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date format Coversion.

Guys, 1.I need to convert a date from YYYY M D to YYYYMMDD. - 2009 2 6 to 20090206 2.When the month or day are inbetween 1-9 I need to add a 0 infront of month or day so that the output would be YYYYMMDD. Thanks, Sud. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sud
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date format Coversion.

Hello guys, I want to convert my date from '2009 02 28' to '28/FEB/2009'. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks, Sud (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sud
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert ascii values into ascii characters

Hi gurus, I have a file in unix with ascii values. I need to convert all the ascii values in the file to ascii characters. File contains nearly 20000 records with ascii values. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeeppvk
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

applying unix command in EBCIDIC file

Hi, I'm having a general query. If we do cat <file name> on a Ebcidic format file then many unknown characters are displayed in my screen. Can we change the character set related to EBCIDIC in session level and apply the cat command on a EBCIDIC file? By doing so can we able to see the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: poova
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ebcidic to ASCII (Packed decimals are there)

I have a input file which is EBCIDIC and it has packed decimals. Can anyone help me to convert EBCIDIC file to ASCII(Need to convert even Packed decimal values also to normal format) (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anusha_Reddy
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

After Ftp'ing file to destination how to check the file if it is in correct ASCII and not corrupted

Hi Folks, While transferring file from FTP software like Filezilla the files gets corrupted. Is there any way I can check if the recently transferred file is in ASCII and not corrupted. I have tried using file -i filename command which does tell if the file character set is ASCII or binary... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khan28
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Hex to Ascii in a Ascii file

Hi All, I have an ascii file in which few columns are having hex values which i need to convert into ascii. Kindly suggest me what command can be used in unix shell scripting? Thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
2 Replies
ftpconversions(4)						   File Formats 						 ftpconversions(4)

NAME
ftpconversions - FTP Server conversions database SYNOPSIS
/etc/ftpd/ftpconversions DESCRIPTION
When the FTP Server, in.ftpd(1M), receives the retrieve (RETR) command, if the specified file does not exist, it looks for a conversion to change an existing file or directory of the same base name into the format requested, subject to the ftpaccess(4) compress and tar capabil- ities. The conversions and their attributes known by in.ftpd(1M) are stored in an ASCII file of the following format. Each line in the file pro- vides a description for a single conversion. The fields in this file are separated by colons (:). %s:%s:%s:%s:%s:%s:%s:%s 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 The fields are described as follows: 1 Strip prefix. 2 Strip postfix. 3 Addon prefix. 4 Addon postfix. 5 External command. 6 Types. 7 Options. 8 Description. The Strip prefix and Addon prefix fields are not currently supported. The Strip postfix and addon postfix fields are extensions to be added to or removed from the requested filename in attempting to produce the name of an existing file or directory. When the attempt succeeds, the FTP Server runs the external command associated with the conver- sion. The magic cookie %s in the argument is passed to the command, replaced with the name of the existing file or directory. External command is the absolute pathname of a command to run followed by the appropriate options to carry out the conversion. The standard output of the command is sent back in response to the RETR (retrieve) command. For anonymous and guest users to be able to execute the com- mand, it must be present in their chroot'd hierarchy along with any necessary dynamic libraries. Types specifies the conversion type. The following values are recognized: T_ASCII ASCII transfers are allowed of a file produced by the conversion. T_DIR Directories can be converted. T_REG Regular files can be converted. Options are checked against the ftpaccess(4) compress and tar capabilities and are recorded in the special-action-flag field that is writ- ten to the FTP Server logfile. See xferlog(4). The following options are supported: O_COMPRESS conversion compresses O_TAR conversion archives O_UNCOMPRESS conversion uncompresses You can specify more than one option by using "|" to separate options. For example, O_TAR|O_COMPRESS specifies that the conversion archives and compresses. Description is a one word description of the conversion that is used in error messages returned to the FTP client. Lines that begin with a # sign are treated as comment lines and are ignored. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Compressing a Regular File for Transfer The following example specifies a conversion which generates filename.Z by compressing an existing file filename. The conversion can only be applied to regular files, not directories, and the absence of T_ASCII prevents the resulting file from being transferred in ASCII mode. : : :.Z:/usr/bin/compress -c %s:T_REG:O_COMPRESS:COMPRESS Example 2: Uncompressing and Transferring in ASCII Mode The following example specifies a conversion that takes filename.Z and uncompresses it to produce filename, which then can be transferred in ASCII mode. :.Z: : :/usr/bin/compress -cd %s:T_REG|T_ASCII:O_UNCOMPRESS:UNCOMPRESS FILES
/etc/ftpd/ftpconversions ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWftpr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ldd(1), in.ftpd(1M), ftpaccess(4), xferlog(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 May 2003 ftpconversions(4)