Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX help with tape drive on aix 5.1 Post 46118 by csaunders on Thursday 8th of January 2004 12:38:16 PM
Old 01-08-2004
it came out of the hang with this

tar tvf /dev/rmt0
tar: 0511-193 An error occurred while reading from the media.
There is an input or output error.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX Tape Drive Backup

Currently I have a Dell Ultrium LTO 2 Tape Drive. I am going to have a IBM AIX server. Just wonder if it is possibe to connect this tape drive to the aix server? I have Brightstor Arcserver installed on another win 2003 server. Is it possible to install the arcserve agent on the aix and use the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ming413
1 Replies

2. AIX

Replacing tape drive in RS/6000 7025 F40 running AIX 4.2.1?

I've just landed in a situation where an old IBM RS/6000 7025 F40 running AIX 4.2.1 has had it's tape drive fail. The tape drive in question is an HP C1533A 4mm 4GB/8GB DAT drive. It repeatedly gets write failures, and my trusty techique of whacking the cleaning tape in hasn't worked. Unfortunately... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phaedrus
2 Replies

3. AIX

How to mount internal tape drive of sun machine in AIX 5.3

Hi, Help required! How to mount internal tape drive of sun machine in AIX 5.3 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashwin.krishna
0 Replies

4. AIX

SUN StorageTek tape drive with AIX 5.1

Hi, I have recently purchase a SUN Storage Tek desktop LTO 4 HH tape drive and connected to a IBM AIX 5.1 server. The server can detect the tape device. Can someone please advice urgently. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Caully
4 Replies

5. AIX

Ejecting tape on AIX & Some Tape commands

I am trying to use this command to eject the tape mt -f /dev/rmt/0 unload but it gives me error mt -f /dev/rmt/0 unload mt: 0511-575 unload is not a recognized subcommand. Usage: mt Subcommand Valid subcommands are: weof eof fsf bsf ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
5 Replies

6. AIX

AIX 4.2.1 Tape Drive Problem

Hi, The problem I have is I want to restore my AIX machine. I have created a mksysb tape from my tape drive rmt0 and I changed the bootlist using this command "bootlist -m normal rmt0 hdisk0". However, when I display the bootlist "bootlist -om normal", it shows '-' hdisk0. I googled and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AixNoob87
2 Replies

7. AIX

Testing the dds tape drive on AIX

Hi I need to make some restore tapes for our old AIX systems I have purchased some DDS2 tapes and cleaning tapes The tape drive is rmt0 what commands can I enter to run the cleaning tape through the drive and are the any commands I can enter to test these drives prior to using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmacher
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

TAPE drive

I have used ioscan -fnC tape and the system identified the tape drive. what is the command to show a listing of what is on the tape? I have used ls /dev/rmt/rmt0 to no avail. can anyone help? Thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Randydog
10 Replies
volrmmount(1)							   User Commands						     volrmmount(1)

NAME
volrmmount - call rmmount to mount or unmount media SYNOPSIS
volrmmount [-i | -e] [name | nickname] volrmmount [-d] DESCRIPTION
The volrmmount utility calls rmmount(1M) to, in effect, simulate an insertion (-i) or an ejection (-e). Simulating an insertion often means that rmmount will mount the media. Conversely, simulating an ejection often means that rmmount will unmount the media. However, these actions can vary depending on the rmmount configuration and media type. For example, using default settings, if you insert a music CD, it might not be mounted. However, you can configure rmmount so that it calls workman whenever a music CD is inserted. This command allows you to override volume management's usual handling of media (see EXAMPLES below). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -i Simulates an insertion of the specified media by calling rmmount. -e Simulates an ejection of the specified media by calling rmmount. -d Displays the name of the default device for volrmmount to handle. This device is used if no name or nickname is supplied. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: name The name that volume management recognizes as the device's name. nickname A shortened version of the device's name. Following is the list of recognized nicknames: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | Nickname | Path | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |fd |/dev/rdiskette | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |fd0 |/dev/rdiskette | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |fd1 |/dev/rdiskette1 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |diskette |/dev/rdiskette | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |diskette0 |/dev/rdiskette0 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |diskette1 |/dev/rdiskette1 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |rdiskette |/dev/rdiskette | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |rdiskette0 |/dev/rdiskette0 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |rdiskette1 |/dev/rdiskette1 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |floppy |/dev/rdiskette | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |floppy0 |/dev/rdiskette0 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |floppy1 |/dev/rdiskette1 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |cdrom0 |/dev/rdsk/cXtYdZ/label | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |zip0 |/dev/rdsk/cXtYdZ/label | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |jaz0 |/dev/rdsk/cXtYdZ/label | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |rmdisk0 |/dev/rdsk/cXtYdZ/label | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example 1 Using the volrmmount command When volume management finds a floppy that contains a filesystem, it calls rmmount to mount it. If you wish to run tar(1) or cpio(1) on that floppy, it must first be unmounted. To unmount the floppy use: example% volrmmount -e floppy0 After volrmmount unmounts the floppy, if you wish to re-mount it (rather than ejecting it and reinserting it) use: example% volrmmount -i floppy0 Notice that if you are using a named floppy, you can use its name in place of floppy0. FILES
/dev/volctl volume management control port ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWvolu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cpio(1), eject(1), tar(1), rmmount(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 28 Feb 2007 volrmmount(1)